Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randy_reina

Help in an open floor plan!!! 1970's ranch

Randy Reina
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Help in an open floor plan!!! 1970's ranch.... 1st time homebuyer... we are installing dark brown hardwood wood floor throughout the house however not sure if I should go ahead and knock down the wall while iam at it.... also should i install the ssme in the sunroom in the back of the house ?(photos posted in comments below)

Comments (10)

• Randy Reina
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Randy Reina
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Dark brown won't be fun to keep up with; you must have a Roomba or a housekeeper. Fading might be a concern in a sunroom. If the sunroom is on the south side, a tile floor could make for some passive heating in the winter.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I would not do dark wood floors in a sun room, what wall are you thinking of knocking down? IMO the flooring is done after the whole space has been thought out you need pot lights all over the place that kitchen needs a complete overhaul so slow down and stop everything until you have a proper plan and IMO lived there for at least 3 months before doing anything. Put all your stuff in storage except for what you can’t live without right now. Then plan what is is you want.IMO a interior designer with experience in kitchen design is probably your best bet. I happen to love dark floors and swiffers are cheap .Take some pics of your own to post here traltor pics often distort room sizes . A to scale floor plan even better. I have to say I don’t like the step down sun room at all but I need to see the exterior of the house to say much about that. Also keep in mind interior changes affect the exterior quite often. One you open this can of worms you can’t put them back so take time to see how the house functions for you.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 years ago

Oh what a cool house! Are you considering taking down the wall between the kitchen and living room? I thought the arched opening was a mirror or window at first! You will have so much fun with this house. But I would do the wall and floors at the same time, so you should probably wait a while as advised above.

• bpath
    3 years ago

Ooh, avocado green appliances!

That wall could be load-bearing so you might not want to take it out all the way. And, if you are planning on changing the kitchen, whatever you do with the wall will be part of that decision. So, I'd say wait until you live there several months.

The sunroom, depends on the foundation. That could a space to have fun with, maybe a fun tile! But again, it depends on how you will use it. It also has a door to another room off the kitchen, what's in there?

• bpath
    3 years ago

DLM Is right, and with that big picture window in front, the kitchen might even be visible from the street. I’d be inclined to leave the opening from the front door to the kitchen (maybe add a pocket door), close up in front of the window, and opening at the far end, leading through the dining to the sundoom.

• Valinta
    3 years ago

The wall between living and kitchen dining area is probably load bearing. Consult with a design expert and contractor for different configurations to open up.

• J S
    3 years ago

You will regret dark floors!!!!! They show every single speck of dust, tiny hair, minute dust bunny, even after cleaning it! I promise!