Software
Houzz Logo Print
rosefollyz5

Problem logging on to Readers Paradise, and a solution

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have not been able to logon for days, even though I'm logged on to other Gardenweb forums. I suspect it is something do do with the unique situation of the Glyph forums. They are not even listed on the Houzz's GW forums list. It may be that RP is the only one left.

I've done all the things that Houzz suggested to no avail. Frankly, I'm not sure they believed me, since they think it is actually impossible to be logged on to one forum and not another. (I don't think they understand the whole Glyphs situation. Not sure I do myself.) Finally I appealed to others to get suggestions, including the people on the bookmark exchange list because I am able to actually reach them. Donnamira made a suggestion that worked. I entered https://www.houzz.com/discussions/tag=496. It took me to a page with the title of "Home and Garden Discussions", but it is actually the Readers Paradise Forum, and best of all, it actually works. I offer this in case others are having a similar problem.

And I offer my sincere thanks to Donnamira as well. How on earth you ever figured this out is a mystery to me!

Comments (31)

  • 5 years ago

    Once you manage to get into RP, click on the "Follow" box to the right of the non-header "Home and Garden Discussions" and it will show up in "Your Topics" list so that you can get to RP whenever you are logged in.


    This problem actually began several months ago for me, when Houzz transitioned to a secure https site. I was able to get into Houzz, but RP is no longer listed and I couldn't find my way here at all, until I went back to the old non-secure site and added it to the My Topics list. It seems there are some grandfathered forums that Houzz wants to pretend don't exist, probably hoping they will die a natural death, and RP is one of them. :(

    Rosefolly z5 thanked donnamira
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Thank you, Donnamira! I have followed your suggestion. I also made a bookmark for "New RP" that sits next to my present bookmark "RP".

    It is possible that Houzz is trying to get rid of us, given that the other Glyph forums are all gone. I hope not but it does rather look like that. On the other hand, it may be that they simply do not understand the difference in the underlying structure of the Glyph forums and it is all accidental. With this one being the only Glyph forum left, either could be true.

    We may want to consider exchanging emails as a group. It's not that hard to set up a mailing list on Googlegroups so that we could exchange book discussions on our own if RP goes away. I belong to a two such groups already, one of family members and one of my knitting/quilting friends. We would not get new members, but the members who have known each other and exchanged thoughts for upwards of 20 years now could continue doing so. I'm not ready to give up on RP, not by a longshot, but if it happens, that is a possibility.

  • 5 years ago

    Sorry to hear that RP may be going away. It's been a friendly space to visit and talk about books, and unlike several other fora/social media platforms I participate in, people have actual conversations on here rather than just metaphorically jump up and down and shout "I'm here! Look at me!" all the time.

    I like the idea of a email exchange group, but would like to throw out another possibility: I could set up a private reddit group (subreddit) for us. It would give us a similar setup as what we already have, but with the added possibility to organise the conversations in a more logical way as branching threads rather than in the linear format that they appear in here.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked netla
  • 5 years ago

    Rosefolly and Netla - Thank you for your offers to rescue Reader's Paradise. If Houzz does remove our beloved forum, how will we find the new one that you set up? I have not figured out how to send a private message in Houzz. I've tried. I've googled. I have not succeeded.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked kathy_t
  • 5 years ago

    I would need it made really simple. Troglodite, here.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked Carolyn Newlen
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Kathy, to send a private message, you click on the user name of the person you want to send a private message and it takes you to their information page. On the right side of the header bar, you will find a button marked "Message", if they have allowed private messaging in their profile. Then just click on that and up pops a message window.

    I've just sent you one - it should arrive as an email if your settings allow it.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked netla
  • 5 years ago

    Netla - That worked. Thank you so much!

    Rosefolly z5 thanked kathy_t
  • 5 years ago

    Are you all not aware that there is, in fact, another reading group on one of the Houzz sites? To find it, go to "kitchen table" @ Gardenweb and look for the thread about books and reading.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked woodnymph2_gw
  • 5 years ago

    Woodnymph, no, I have never heard of this Kitchen Table thread! I have been posting to RP since 2003 and no one has ever mentioned it to my recollection.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked annpanagain
  • 5 years ago

    woodnymph - Do you mean it's just one thread in a forum, and not a whole forum like Reader's Paradise?

    Rosefolly z5 thanked kathy_t
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Netla and others, I have NOT heard any rumors about Reader's Paradise going away, and I sincerely hope that it never does. I was simply commenting on the fact that Houzz doesn't seem to be offering the level of support it does for its other forums. We may be permitted to limp along indefinitely. Or not.

    My suggestion was an idea of a way to continue discussing books if indeed RP does go away. Many of us have been on this forum for years and years, and have developed a friendly relationship that we would be sorry to lose.

    Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

  • 5 years ago

    It appears to me that Houzz is continuing any active forum, but the ones that do not fit into their market model of Home and Garden don't seem to be listed/discoverable from the Houzz site. The Kitchen Table is another one that is not listed (its tag is 33, like RP's is 496); I remember from Spike's tenure that it was described as a general discussion forum for friends 'gathered around the kitchen table just to talk.' It's extremely active though, and yes, they do have a monthly reading thread over there.

    I would be very sorry to lose this site too, but hopefully Houzz will let us continue as along as we stay active on it! Or at least give us adequate notice so we could set up an alternative elsewhere (the Delphi forums are easy to use, and there's always Goodreads discussions, I suppose)

    I'm posting now from a different (newer) computer tonight, and I was able to log on through the gardenweb address without the issue Rosefolly and I ran into earlier. So I'm clueless as to why the problem existed/exists... but as long as I can get here and post, I'm happy.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked donnamira
  • 5 years ago

    The Kitchen Table part of Houzz/Garden Web is as Kathy says, just one thread of very many discussions that appear to range from what people are preparing for Thanksgiving to 'cute' photos of pets and everything in between. When I checked it out I noticed a few contributors who had previously been here!

    I certainly hope that RP stays put. I am so techno' challenged I would find visiting a new home quite difficult and touch-wood have had no problems logging on - so far.

  • 5 years ago

    I only come to this RP very sporadically. but have issues often with several of the forums on houzz/gardenweb. By the way I have been using these forums for over 10 years so I believe in my very untechnical mind, that "they " did some changes and that is the problem.

    Anyway, yes there is another monthly thread that is done on the Kitchen Table for what are you reading, and I will link that as well as ( if I can find them...) another thread or 2 that is ongoing about happy books.

    Here is the December thread (just starting out) This is obviously only 2 days into the month so pretty spare but feel free to add to it.


    And here is the full November thread This is to give an idea of what it's like for a full month.


    At the moment, I am not able to locate ( thanks to the wonderful search feature in houzz) the thread for uplifting books but if/when I do I will be sure to add it.



    Rosefolly z5 thanked salonva
  • 5 years ago

    Yikes! If the Houzz powers that be decide to phase us out, please count me in for whatever our next iteration might look like. I have been here since 1998 (ish) and would hate to be disconnected from you all. I hope they just let us toddle along and continue to maintain our little corner of the Houzz universe. So far, I've had no trouble logging in (fingers crossed).

    Rosefolly z5 thanked sheri_z6
  • 5 years ago

    Salonva - Thank you for that explanation of the Kitchen Table reading threads. Crystal clear.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked kathy_t
  • 5 years ago

    Salonva, thanks for clarifying the Kitchen Table threads re books and reading. Indeed, some there are familiar names from posting here over the years. My time these days on a computer is very limited, sad to say.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked woodnymph2_gw
  • 5 years ago

    Ha1 Can I just say that if you are thanking me for making these forums clear- WE ARE ALL IN TROUBLE!!!!!

    ( still trying to find that other thread about uplifting books.... funny thing is, I have been sharing it over the past few months and now am helpless)

    Rosefolly z5 thanked salonva
  • 5 years ago

    Salonva, if you go to your profile and check your activity, you might find one of your old posts referencing the thread. :)

    Rosefolly z5 thanked donnamira
  • 5 years ago

    The only way I can find Readers Paradise is to google it.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked laceyvail 6A, WV
  • 5 years ago

    Thanks Donnamira I did try that, but it's not a thread I started, and I really don't know how far back to go. I may give another try with more patience soon. (but in general I find searching for threads or comments on houzz to be beyond frustrating).

    Rosefolly z5 thanked salonva
  • 5 years ago

    HAPPY READS I found it!!! Doing what Donnamira suggested. Just needed patience!! Enjoy.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked salonva
  • 5 years ago

    Salonva, I have checked out the two reading threads and bookmarked the Happy Reads to follow up as I am always interested in amusing books.

    The other thread might interest Vee as she mentioned some time ago liking to have reviews of books. We tend to just name a title with a short description sometimes but this Kitchen Table thread seems to go into more detail.

    Thank you for drawing attention to Kitchen Table. As I have to limit my time on the computer, I don't usually check more than a few favourite sites when I go online.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked annpanagain
  • 5 years ago

    Annpan, you are right! I do enjoy reading a few remarks about any book an RP'er has read . . . good bad or indifferent.

    We must all notice how few posters are now 'regulars' here and I, for one, miss the many discussions that used to take place . . . and not just about books. I don't know how it would be possible to encourage more people to join us especially when there are SO many participants at 'Kitchen Table' . . . it does make RP seem like a leaf hanging on a twig attached to the branch of a very tall tree!

    Rosefolly z5 thanked vee_new
  • 5 years ago

    Re getting connected to RP at Houzz I read some of the advice given above and, although I had/have no difficulty arriving here I had checked out some of the comments just in case I found myself locked-out and now, every time I log in or click onto another topic I get a What are your interests? flashing up on the screen. As I hadn't registered with any of them I clicked onto something or other and pressed DONE hoping the flashing would go away, but no. This thing is still coming up all the time; it's just annoying . . .

    Rosefolly z5 thanked vee_new
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    BTW, I just got a note from Houzz that they are forwarding my message for further attention. We'll see what if anything happens. Fingers crossed.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I just tried repeatedly to change my email address with houzz because the one they have is about to become defunct. It just ran me around in circles, and still has the old email address. The way the site functions is just appalling.

    I also clicked on "followers" and found that 95% of the names I'd never heard of, certainly not names I see on the forums I go to. I think they make this stuff up.

  • 5 years ago

    I have been unable to log into RP for a while now. Using this thread is the only way I seem to be able to get in. Hopefully Houzz will correct whatever they did that makes it so difficult to get here.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked rouan
  • 5 years ago

    Rouan, have you tried https://www.houzz.com/discussions/tag=496? It is now the only way I can log on.

  • 5 years ago

    I have added this to my favorites so maybe it will work for future. Thanks Rosefolly