Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonyylo

Need help with my Monstera Albo cutting!

Tony Lo
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Ok so first, the background info:

So I originally had a 4 node/ 3 leaf cutting that I probably should have bought rooted plant for the price I paid. This is what it looked like on eBay.

The big root snapped in half pretty quickly and never grew more roots but was still firm and white inside but very fibrous. idk if it was just too old to grow baby roots?

Anyways, I put it in moist sphagnum moss and put a humidifier and the younger roots started to develop little nubs but then the oldest leaf started yellowing 3 days after I got it. I’m not sure what I did to make it do that. Did I do something wrong?

I panicked and put it in water with a little aerator because I thought it wasn’t getting enough water. The yellowing stopped. The nubs grew a little more but the stem started looking a little black on the ends so I panicked again and went back to moist moss. I’m pretty sure I hindered the rooting process by all of this and checking on the roots every day... the Nubs never really grew much more... so I decided I should just go to soil like people were telling me... but I made this decision a Month in and I think the plant used up all its resources. I put the plant back in water for 2 days with some superthrive to make sure it was hydrated before putting it in soil. Then the old leaf started yellowing more. I had to cut off the youngest leaf and node because it was too long to fit in a pot and the aerial root was pointed in the opposite direction of all the others. So now I have one younger node with a leaf and a 2leaf/3 node cutting. The oldest leaf turned yellow and fell off within days. The petiole was completely spongey and dry. The last leaf on that big cutting also slowly yellowed and fell off but the cutting had already started developing thick soil roots before the last leaf dropped. I assume it used up all those leaf nutrients to put into roots.

The single node cutting is now still doing fine and I assume is rooting just fine And the bud seems to be getting larger.

But the big cutting developed rot where the old aerial root was and I didn’t want it to spread to the rest so I cut that node with roots off from the other two nodes. The problem is, the rot was right next to the aerial root that it has sprouted all of its new roots from so I couldn’t just chop it off. I scooped as much of the rot out but what looked like healthy tissue just turned brown or black within minutes of being exposed to the air. It’s hard to see because I put a bunch of cinnamon on it. It’s not mushy, it’s very fibrous but the fibers turned black immediately after removing the mushy black part.

Does anyone know why that is? does It mean that tissue was also rotted? Even though it seemed healthy when I first cut off any black mushy stuff? It has happened to a regular monstera cutting where the root rotted and then the stem tissue rotted and every time I cut off the rot, the new tissue darkened a lot. I don’t want to lose this thing. I‘ve poured Hydrogen peroxide on it and soaked it in some systemic fungicide In an attempt to keep the rot from getting worse.

i Also cut the ends off the other part of the big cutting because the edges were black and the healthy tissue didnt turn black but it did turn a little reddish and leaked a little reddish juice on the counter. Is that something to worry about? What’s happening there?

any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

Comments (10)

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    3 years ago

A lot to take in there Tony. Your post was 11 days ago and no one answered, what's going on with the cuttings now?

Don't worry about leaves, sometimes they're a detriment and require too much moisture that the stem can't provide, even with a small root system. There's enough energy in a leafless stem to produce a plant from the node if it's in good shape and in good conditions.

Personally I would stay with sphagnum moss unless leaves get droopy, then rehydrate in water and either leave it there or go back to moss and put in a closed atmosphere... a plastic bag or terrarium/aquarium. You might get away without bagging if you cut off a leaf to lighten the moisture load required by the stem.

I think the stem blackening will occur no matter the medium, so don't go back and forth between mediums.

Moss has a natural rot-inhibiting characteristic, so many prefer it to soil mediums. It's also hard to overwater since it's a loose material, I often scrub perlite into it to make it even more open.

Again, how are things looking now?

Tony Lo thanked Russ1023 (central Fla)
  • Tony Lo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

well two of the leaves already fell off and I cut the stem into pieces. The one in the 2nd pic still had a leaf and is now putting out new growth at the node but it was the only part that was doing well. The other two stem segments are not doing as great. The larger stem segment is still just sitting in soil and not rotting so I assume that’s a good sign. The other one, shown in the last picture, has rotted more and is about half the size of what it was in that picture. I think I’m gonna end up losing it. roots it still has some roots but the green on the stem keeps rotting little by little... I tried raising it out of the dirt a little while keeping the roots in dirt so it could keep dry but then it shriveled up lol.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    3 years ago

I haven't read your whole post, but I probably would have cut off all leaves but the topmost one, then stuck in a pot with soil + perlite, and enclosed the whole thing in a large clear plastic bag. I usually root mine outdoors in summer, in which case I do not need to maintain humidity, but indoors you probably ought to. Here was the cutting. I had to cut back the aerial roots as they were two feet long! Whether they branched, or just new roots came out of the stem, I don't know. Aerial roots are not always able to deal with soil.

The resultant plant months later.

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    3 years ago

Tony, I think you're right in that the small piece is done for but keep your fingers crossed. Thankfully the other two cuttings look like they'll be okay, so good for you.

Dave, you started off with a great cutting, sturdy and good aerials. That's a nice looking variegated deliciosa, it's amazing they grow that well in Virginia given your hard winters.

• Tony Lo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A well the two bottom leaves ended up falling off anyways and after I chopped the thing up, I have had them in a clear plastic bin, on a heat mat and under a grow light. the part with the leaf has loved it... the stem cuttings started rotting more so I took those out of the bin. they’re still under the grow light and I have a humidifier running next to them. They seem to be doing better.

• Tony Lo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Russ1023 (central Fla) im still kicking myself. I should have just bought a rooted top cutting or a rooted plant. I paid the same amount for that 4 node cutting as I did for this small rooted plant and it has put out two leaves in the time that these cuttings have been rotting away or very slowly putting out a leaf bud.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    3 years ago

Generally I think the more nodes it has, the more resources it has to root. I would not have cut them up. Honestly these things grow so fast, you'd probably have a lot of propagation material to work with at the end of next growing season.

• Tony Lo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A well I cut it up because it was too long to fit in the pot without burying the stem vertically and I was worried about it rotting... which it did anyways... but at least I was able to keep an eye on it... the aerial roots with new root sprouts were also pointing in opposite directions so I had to cut the top node off To solve those issues... and then I was afraid it was going to cannibalize the last leaf and then I cut up the remaining 3 node, leafless stem because the roots at the bottom node rotted all the way down to the stem to the point that there was a rotting hole in the stem where the root used to be. i didnt want it to keep spreading.

• Tony Lo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A it had also been within my care for a month at that point, had almost no root growth and two dying leaves.... I think it’s resources were waning.