Software
Houzz Logo Print
jessica1464

clover help... spreading like crazy

5 years ago

These are spreading like crazy in my yard that had no weeds in it. I know the neighbor doesn’t weed his grass or take care of them but they are spreading fast. Is there something I can use that won’t kill the grass as well. I spent a lot
Of time this summer weeding it. We are in the central area of Texas (about 40 minutes south of ft worth) and it’s Bermuda

Comments (11)

  • 5 years ago

    It's not clover. It looks more like Bittercress, Cardamine hirsuta, a winter annual weed. There are a number of winter weeds. A broadleaf weed killer labeled for use on Bermuda lawns will take care of the problem. Even better if the identified weed is on the label as a listed target in Bermuda lawns. Read The Label.

    Mowing so that the offending weed does not have a chance to bloom and set seed will greatly help the problem.

  • 5 years ago

    Are you sure it's not creeping charlie (Glechoma hederacea)?

  • 5 years ago

    The picture is not good enough to be absolutely certain, but it looks more like Cardamine than Glechoma to me.

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you so much. I can take a better pic of it tomorrow. It’s just spreading like crazy and I spent so much time on my grass during the summer. When I tried to pull it the ends were like white and slimy looking.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Well, it isn’t any kind of clover, or Oxalis. Nor is it Cardamine hirsuta which does not have lobed leaf margins. The leaf shape is more like Glechoma but the habit is not. If you rub a few leaves between your fingers does it smell peppery? Could be garlic Mustard seedlings but I can’t see any cotyledons to be sure. Can you post a picture of a pulled up plant showing these ‘white and slimy’ parts? Whatever it is, mowing the lawn should improve matters.

  • 5 years ago

    I think identifying the exact genus and species is less important than identifying the herbicide to kill it. Try Weed-b-Gon and if that doesn't work try Weed-b-Gon Chickweed, Clover, and Oxalis Killer. It's a little stronger than regular WBG.


    That lawn looks a little tall for bermuda. How high/low are you mowing it?

  • 5 years ago

    If it’s an annual timely, low mowing should deal with it. If it were Oxalis or Glechoma it wouldn't. So id is somewhat pertinent to the solution.

  • 5 years ago

    Yes that area is taller than I normally keep it, the rest hasn’t grown because it’s been so cold. I cut it after I took that picture. I will try that. Thank you for the suggestions.

  • 5 years ago

    I found nothing I could buy off the shelf did the trick, you have to call a professional yard service.

  • 5 years ago

    Hardly, just for a few annual weeds. Just mowing the lawn will finish them off as long as it’s done before they set seed.

  • 5 years ago

    +1 DCHall. If it's Bermuda, it's mowed too long. Mow at the appropriate height and it should take out the weeds all by itself (so +1 Floral_uk as well) in most cases.

    I can't ID genus and species either, so if it comes back, try Weed-b-Gon Chickweed, Clover, and Oxalis Killer (skip the regular stuff, this will kill anything the regular stuff will kill). Most likely, that will wipe it without destroying your Bermuda.


    Feed Bermuda well (1 pound nitrogen per thousand square feet during the growth season) and mow correctly, and it'll generally choke out any weeds that attempt to invade. The same technique works well with bluegrass, actually, if you adjust the months of application. :-)