Software
Houzz Logo Print
rfharmon

Wet Bar Backsplash Help - Too Boring?

5 years ago

We have a small wet bar in our walkout basement that is primarily there to service the attached den area where we will likely do most of our TV watching. The idea is to be able to hang out in that space and outside on our covered patio and not need to go upstairs to the kitchen to do simple things like get a cold beverage, popcorn or prep food for the grill.


We went with white cabinets and a light grey quartz countertop, as well as open shelving where we plan to display my husband's liquor collection. We also went with light floors (Tower LVP by Paradigm). What I am now stuck on it backsplash. The inspiration pictures I gravitate toward all seem to fit into 3 categories (grey tile, white tile or marble slab look), so I could use some help deciding what will look best in this space...or if I am being to risk adverse.


Here is the bar:



These are the floors:




Here are the three options I am considering:


Option 1: Marble slab look (using oversized porcelain tile)


Option 2: The Simplicity of this white subway tile look


Option 3: Grey Tile


Option

Comments (26)

  • 5 years ago

    I like simple and just installed a gray ceramic backsplash. But.....after the fact, I learned about the Bedrosian Chloe tile that quite a few people here have used. I believe the whites actually have some grays in the mix. You have to install in a random pattern.

    They come matte or glossy.

    You can do a search here and see who's kitchen pops up.

    rfharmon thanked eld6161
  • 5 years ago

    Thank you for the Bedrosian Chloe suggestion. It looks really pretty. I will look in the store tomorrow!

  • 5 years ago

    Or, think outside the box! What colors will you use in the living area? You might look at the “sale” tiles available in small quantities at www.tile bar.com. Some of them are outrageously beautiful, funky,interesting, ugly! Check them out. You don’t require a lot of tile (unless you intend to tile the entire wall, including behind the liquor collection. Perhaps draw some inspiration from the art that you plan on hanging in the space? Posters? Team memorabilia? This might be the space in your home to explore some fun ideas vs. gray or white. Good luck!

  • 5 years ago

    You might go farther outside the box than with your backsplash. If you go with one of the classics, perhaps applied in a more modern way like white subway tile with grey grout, you are free to change out your art and other things on a whim and at less expense or effort. The area you describe will be used for all sorts of celebrations and gatherings. With a classic backdrop, you allow the accessories to be the accents that show your mood for the occasion. You can be as formal or informal as each situation needs. Just have fun with it, Is there a color that shows up on your husbands collection of alcohols? Play with that for everyday, but give yourself freedom to go where ever you would like for the occasion.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Select something more fun; it's a bar not a kitchen! Look at antique mirror glass, darker mosaics, something textural.

  • 5 years ago

    Looks dark down there so I would definitely go with bright and reflective, within your taste. I saw these interesting (to me!) pop mirrors the other day, and while they probably can't be incorporated into a backsplash in that space, maybe they fit in overall somewhere in your bar area. They come in probably a hundred different quasi-crazy designs and some with bright colors



    Designart Dimentional Navy Blue Cube Industrial Large Wall Mirror, 28x40 · More Info


    Designart Capital Gold Sleek 11 Glam Vanity Mirror, 24x32 · More Info


    Designart Triangular Diamond Universe 2 Midcentury Wall Mirror, 28x40 · More Info


    Designart Red And Blue Bullseye Midcentury Accent Mirror, 28x40 · More Info


    Designart Triangular Diamond Whirl 1 Midcentury Wall Mirror, 28x40 · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    warm it up

  • 5 years ago

    Subway tiles will date the look. I like your #1 option. P.S. Love your floor choice!

    rfharmon thanked proudmary22
  • 5 years ago

    @ptreckel - I like the idea of playing off colors that will be in the room. I am a little afraid to give my husband any say on what he wants on the walls, trying to keep this space from turning into a full-on sports bar.

  • 5 years ago

    @Sabrina Alfin Interiors - There is a refrigerator that goes on one side and a wine fridge that goes on the other side. They are matching heights and sizes to give us symmetry in the space while being functional.


    It is definitely dark down here, so we went with undercabinet lights, but it is also the case that the recessed lights and flush mount light that go in this space are not yet installed. With all of those, we will have the ability to manufacture a lot more light in the space (albeit, not natural light).


    We love that tile you suggested, we actually used the white/black version of it in one of our bathrooms as a statement wall. However, it does bring up a good point about using interesting geometric shapes to add to the design.

  • 5 years ago

    @User - My husband really likes the mirrored look. I have been struggling to find mirrored tiles that I can live with. I like some of the designs you sent. So are those just mirrors that I would have my glass person cut and install as backsplash? My glass person has offered to just create mirrors for us to go in this space, and it is a good look, I just haven't seen it with designs like yours.

  • 5 years ago

    @Skippack Tile & Stone - I think you are hitting on the head. I am not sure we are the people who will like "fun" tile as in bright colors, etc. However, playing with shapes, textures, etc. might be our way to get to something with more interest in that space. Do you have any favorites as examples that you can share with me. I seem to be in a little bit of a rut here and could use any additional inspiration you would be kind enough to provide.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I'm voting for white subway tiles. It's classic! Your husband's liquor collection should provide a lot of color and texture.

  • 5 years ago

    White cabinets, gray counter, beige flooring....fairly neutral and quiet. Nap-inspiring.
    You didn’t mention any color in the den area. I expect to see green outside. If you have any color already in the den, the backsplash can pick up that color. Or pick up green from outside. This is where you entertain and you need to add a bit of fun/color/pizazz. It doesn’t have to be eye-popping bright. Art of some type on the walls, a colored tile backsplash, maybe a rug in the same color family.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Go to a good showroom near you and gather ideas; they're lots when you think a bit outside the norm. I even kept color to a minimum!


  • 5 years ago

    Rfharmon, I totally understand your concerns about the space becoming a full on sports bar! As many say here, keep the background neutral and allow the accessories speak. I just saw this as an opportunity to do something unusual. The space is a nice one. Trust your judgment!

  • 5 years ago

    I don’t want to hijack your post but you mentioned that you want to display your husband’s liquor collection...

  • 5 years ago

    @rfharmon, you would need to ask your pro about cutting the mirrors. I noticed they come in various sispzes. I also noticed on the photos I posted that the mirrors come from a place called Desgn Art. There is a link you can click to the right of the photo, and often there is a way to ask the vendor questions.


    Also, scroll down from the product photo and you will see tht Houzz offers you mirrors with all sorts of designs.

  • 5 years ago

    Sounds like you are creating an adult playroom....for heaven sakes, have a little fun. Add some color pops! https://secure.img1-fg.wfcdn.com/im/52198231/resize-h800-w800^compr-r85/6084/60846954/Moze+3%22+x+12%22+Straight+Edge+Ceramic+Singular+Subway+Tile.jpg

  • 5 years ago

    What about stainless steel 'look' tiles? We got ours from Lowe's - they are peel and stick. They come in either vertical or horizontal 'finishes' for a pretty authentic look. Our design-builder pro who was working on the rest of the house, suggested a flip color scheme for this bar room close by to the kitchen - black cabinets, white counters as a reverse from the nearby kitchen's white cabinets, black counters. We get lots of compliments on the stainless steel backsplash - this bar room also has pretty low light,


  • 5 years ago

    I prefer black subway tiles. They feel modern & sexy to me. Have you seen them? White tiles? A bit Boring. I think with the black, you would get good juxtaposition with glasses and bottles. Just saying...

  • 5 years ago

    Check it out.

  • 5 years ago

    Ops here it is. Lol!

  • 5 years ago

    As a trained Commercial Interior Designer, I gravitate towards what the pros on Houzz are telling you: go to a really good tile store and look at your options; but more importantly, discuss this with those stores’ professional designers. Many tile stores, even the discount ones, have free professional advice, so take advantage of that. While I know that this can seem overwhelming to have a lot of choices, don’t limit yourself to the obvious. Consider not only the tile itself, but also punching up a plain tile with a (as others have said) fun pattern, or use a contrasting grout color. Definitely have fun with it, especially since it is a small area and not your main kitchen.
    Consider the rest of the room; am a bit surprised that you only showed us the bar area and not the actual sitting area, which, as a designer, I would take cues from. There might be something in the area you sit in (furniture or fabric pattern) that you wish to mimic or compliment in order to tie the room together. This is what good design is based on, so don’t make a detached decision that will lead to your bar feeling separate from other elements of the room.
    The most important thing is to have fun and go with your gut; trust yourself, and don’t let anyone, not even a professional, push you so far out of your comfort zone that you will ultimately regret your choice. All the best!

    rfharmon thanked Christine Clippinger
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Many thanks for all of your opinions, I’m leaning towards bedrosian chloe tile in white or reflective mirrors but I will take all of your very good amazing and on-point advice to a tile store and talk to a designer— as suggested. Thank you,