Have a great day

Comments (61)

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Didn't have any A's to contribute but here are my B's:

Starting off with 'Big Daddy'

And 'Blue Mouse Ears'

'Blue Ivory' has to be the biggest disappointment I've ever had in a member of the June family. I've had it planted in the same spot since 2012 and it has languished for years, always just a single shoot! Then finally this year it totally shocked me by coming up with 4 shoots; be still my beating heart!

Pieter

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

Paula—love the stone weather predictor!!

I know I want Brother Stephen after seeing The beauties here and I may have to get hosta_makers Bloodline—— it’s a stunning!

Here are my Bs:

• mbug_gw
    3 years ago

Some really nice B's.....we are off to a good start thanks to Paula!

Bedazzled 5-11-20.jpg

Ben Vernooij 6-30-20

Ben Vernooij ... early May

Blazing Saddles 6-5-20.....the wet look

Blazing Saddles 6-5-20.....would pair nicely with peren's Blue Elf

Blue Angel 7-15-20.....growing through the fence....not the best placement!

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

More bs..... I have a number of progression photos this year. Should I post them with the letter? Will there be a progression category this year?

• mbug_gw
    3 years ago

a few more....

Blue Cadet 5-27-20

Blue Flame 5-30-20

Blue Hawaii 6-6-20

Blue Mouse Ears 6-30-20

Bridal Falls 7-15-20

Brother Stefan 6-4-20

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

A few more:

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    3 years ago

I forgot Blue Cadet..can't find good pics of Blue Hawaii..I need help to play this game Lol..

• Laura z4b / Helsinki, Finland
    3 years ago

Some of my newer B’s..

Ben Vernooij - June 14th 2020

Blue Cascade - June 22nd 2020

Blue Chip - July 25th 2020

3 years ago

Beautiful B's everyone..

B is my favorite letter..lots of Blues..I love Blue hostas..💕

• Laura z4b / Helsinki, Finland
    3 years ago

..and some oldies,

first Blue Mouse Ears

...and Blue Cadet, reliable work horse, it’s beautiful, fast grower and thrives every where!

• beverlymnz4
    3 years ago

Blueberry Muffin

Blue Arrow

Not pictured this year: Blue Flame and Blue Mouse Ears.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Blue Mouse Ears

That cat looked comfortable in that frig like he did it often.

Thank you all for being here as I cannot do this without you.

3 years ago

Paula..thank YOU..you do a fantastic job with the alphabet 🙂

your Blue Mouse Ears is perfect..much fuller than mine..

ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    3 years ago

Yes, really beautiful B's shown!

mbug that would be a great pairing! Because of space constraints I went with Tropical Dancer behind the Blue Elf grouping. When I get Blazing Saddles in the ground I hope it does as well as yours and others.

Paula it is wonderful to have you posting pics again! We are so grateful to you for hosting!

• dianefw
    3 years ago

All from 2020. Blue Shadows June 8, Ben Vernooy Sept 19, Bright Lights Sept 27.

I love the Kincaid markers, just started using this year. Pushed them all into the ground so won't be lost come spring.

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    3 years ago

I shudder to think what my indoor/outdoor cat would stash in my fridge. Nope.

There's a lot of impressive Blue Angels here and Blue Cadet is such a great performer.

Blaze of Glory

BoG flower

Blue Cadet

Blue Hawaii

Blue Hawaii flowers

Blue Mouse Ears -- It always gets mauled by the hosta behind it (First Mate) so I've moved it since this picture. Next year it can spread out more.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    3 years ago

OOPS! Forgot a couple.

'Ben Vernooij'

And 'Bulletproof'.

The same 'Bulletproof' with a couple of 'Touch of Frost' flanking it...

Pieter

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

I am also liking, Blaze of Glory and Blue Shadows.

Peren, Blazing Saddles is a fast grower. Mine is only 3 years old and I am worried about it out growing it’s space.

debra

3 years ago

Debra that is good to know. When I get BS planted (hopefully next fall) I will look forward to a fast growth rate. When I redid the area I left room for mature size. Years ago I crammed an area thinking I would move certain things after 2-3 years - it never happened until this past season. Live and learn!

• old_dirt 6a
    3 years ago

A few B's, a few are declining due to tree roots.

Big Daddy

Big Mama

Blue Mammoth (never did really show blue)

Blue Mouse Ears

Brass Ring

Brim Cup

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    3 years ago

I'm getting slower and slower in my old age---in everything I do!

Big Daddy. I always mistake this as Abiqua Drinking Gourd.

Blue Mouse Ears. One of my favorites. Unfortunately, by the end of summer the June Fever on the left and the Liberty on the right do a good job of almost covering it up!

Brim Cup in the spring.

Brother Stefan's in a pot. As I was organizing my pots, I just had to take a picture of these two---so I placed them on the raised bed we were building. Love this hosta too!

3 years ago

Continuing . . .

As Sandyslopes and Laura mentioned, Blue Cadet is a great hosta!

Blue Cadet in May

Blue Cadet in late May

Same Blue Cadet in June

and now in August

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    3 years ago

Didn’t get them all. Missing pictures of Blue Hawaii, Blue Mouse Ears, Blue Jay. Everyone has a lot of Blue Cadet- I especially love it when it blooms. it’s a true workhorse- good in shade or sun, and grows like crazy.

Blue Cadet

Flanked by Ivory Coast on the left, Brother Stefan on the right

Brother Stefan

Blue Dolphin, just planted.

Blue Monday

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

Windymess, thanks for the comment on Blue Cadet. I would like to add some more hostas that can take some sun.

debra

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    3 years ago

Deb, as to hostas that thrive in the sun, you cannot go wrong with just about anything that has fragrant flowers, and that's quite the list.

Pieter

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

Thanks Pieter! I have looked at the sun tolerant list but will now take your suggestion as well.

debra

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    3 years ago

Yes Debra, the fragrants are generally good in sun. I have a LOT of sun... waiting for trees to grow. Sun Power is fantastic, Irish Luck, Tick Tock - all really great in our strong Kansas sunshine. Many others survive and grow like crazy, but are fried and ratty by late July.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    3 years ago

Beyond Glory 4/4/2020

Beyond Glory 5/5/2020

Blue Ivory 5/2/2020

Blue Tooth 4/11/2020 in the center. Spring came early this year.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    3 years ago

Ben Vernooij (a real favorite)

Blue Perfection is the green-blue right behind Coast to Coast. It is a 2nd year plant and grows like a week. It retains a blue hint all season and is fairly blue for the first 2 months.

Blue Ivory in flower, with Blue Mouse Ears (and Tiny Gems and Green Thumb)

Blue Tooth

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    3 years ago

Brother Stefans

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    3 years ago

Brother Stefan in bloom with Blue Perfection in background left

Blueberry Muffin in April, emerging

Beyond Glory front right

Ben Vernooij in May. This hosta went dormant in DECEMBER!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    3 years ago

I’m admiring all of the Bridal Falls here! Mine did terrible last spring, no photos for me. We had such weird weather, I’m wondering if that was a contributing factor.

Sherry

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    3 years ago

Just found two more B’s.

Blue Ivory doing well in a pot, year two here.

Bedazzled, a nice small one

Sherry

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    3 years ago

This was one of my favorite pictures in 2020. Blue Mouse Ears in flower with Blue Ivory on the left.

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    3 years ago

Let's get this (Bachelor) Party started:

Come Mister Tallyman, tally me Banana (Boat)

Oooh . . . Barracuda dun dilla dun dilla dun dilla dun dilla dun dun

3 years ago

steve..I love your B hostas with their Background music..

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

Utog, I am really admiring your Beyond Glory and your Ben Vernooij. Aren’t Mouse Ears in bloom fun? They are such prolific bloomers!

steveduggins, if you can make a DuckDuckGo link for those tunes, I might confuse you with Ken....... :-)

Your Banana Boat reminds me of my Dream Queen (in Ds). I love the upward twisting leaves of Bachelor party. It looks like a party! Now someone needs to name a hosta Bachelorette to make it fair........hahaha

debra

• mae (zone 5b On)
    3 years ago

Binkie

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

Mae, Binkie is a real cutie!!

debra

3 years ago

It sure is! New one on me, I had to look it up.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    3 years ago

I just made an executive decision and I’m declaring my “Prairie Sky” long-gone, and adding Blue Maui to my spreadsheet of hostas. Several years ago I thought my Rainforest Sunrise sport had died and that it was Prairie Sky that lived on in a pot and eventually was divided into 3 plants and put into the ground.

However today I looked closely at Beth’s Earth Angel picture, with what appears to be a Rainforest Sunrise in the foreground, and those flowers are just like my RS sport. I don’t know why I haven’t realized it before, because I have RS too... and the blooms are distinctive. And I’ve always wondered why Prairie Sky wasn’t as blue as she started out. Sheesh! I shouldn’t admit to being this dense... but anyway... here’s what I’m calling Blue Maui. And they look SO much like the Library photos, especially in person. It’s not the most beautiful plant, but kinda cute- in the way possums are cute- the face only a mother could love.

3 years ago

windymess I think most of us that get sports or seedlings have had this happen. I know 'Lancifolia' rarely seeds but I do have some although there was one that just didn't fit the bill. I realized this year that it was actually a plain green seedling of 'Cherry Berry' of course the dark scape helped pin it down lol.

I think your sport(s) are quite cute. I like any with that cupping. Pity about 'Prairie Sky' but now you have a nice grouping of 'Blue Maui'

Houzz is so frustrating. I first noticed it on A but now I see that my posts here have collapsed on themselves and you have to click on 2 more comments to see them. (Since I got a new computer Houzz would not let me sign into Gardenweb) Are those of you still lucky enough to be able to use Gardenweb seeing this too?

3 years ago

windymess..one of my Rainforest Sunrise developed green leaves too..someone here (forget who?) told me that it was reverting to Blue Maui..I forgot about it..I guess I have another B 😂

peren..I have malfunctions on Houzz too..so many I can't explain them all..it's so annoying isn't it?..I really don't think it's our fault..

3 years ago

Along with the cuteness of Binkie, it has a sweet name!

I'm with peren.all---Windymess, I like your Blue Maui too, and the cupping on it is the best part!

Peren.all, I got a new computer several months ago. I had trouble staying on gardenweb. It kept changing to houzz. Someone told me a "trick." Go to:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/hottopics

and choose your "topics" from the left hand side. When entering this way, you will be on gardenweb. I missed posts when I was using houzz because I didn't realize the posts were collapsed and you had to click on them to expand them. Hope this works for you, as it did for me.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    3 years ago

I think the worst part of the changes here is that I can’t search and find some of the older posts from a few years back, like I used to. Too bad it’s not really Gardenweb anymore.

Should say- I can find old posts, but the search mechanisms seem different. I can’t search for individual posters like I used to be able to do. For example- I wanted to see pictures from Jo, who doesn’t seem to participate here anymore. Her garden was so pretty and she had good ideas/combos, etc. But unless I can remember specific plants and then scroll through all the results, I can’t find her posts. Oh well.

3 years ago

newhostalady thank you for that trick! I tried it and It seems it half works. In the upper left corner it will say Hosta Forum - Gardenweb but the URL is still Houzz whereas before the URL was Gardenweb. There are now 6 comments collapsed. What a nasty feature that is! Even resizing photos will not allow 9 or 10 at a time. I still cannot "like" the OP - following is hardly a substitute for "liking". Apparently if you are on Gardenweb it is still an option there. It came up on the Perennial Forum.

Over all I am just happy to be on this site. I frequent here, Name That Plant, Perennials and Daylilies. This is a great group and this is the only site I go to so I am grateful for it.

3 years ago

peren.all, could you just put "gardenweb.com" in the URL first and see if you can get that to come up without changing to houzz? There's got to be a way! The hosta forum URL is gardenweb.com/discussions/hosta. And if you ever get back to gardenweb, never go to a link as it changes back to Houzz.

3 years ago

Thanks newhostalady. I tried that over and over when I first tried to get back in after getting the new computer. Tried again after your trick. Of course if the folks who transferred my files had kept my favorites list I might have been okay. All my sent emails were gone too but thankfully I was able to retrieve my inbox from my IP. Houzz is so glitchy that in my limited tech way I tried everything I could think of to avoid it. On the D thread your post said it was 2 days old but it was not there while others were showing up after yours that were newer.

I really appreciate the help!

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    3 years ago

We don't see enough of Bobbi Sue, so I cropped her out of a bigger pic.

• mbug_gw
    3 years ago

Steve....nice one!