ilovetogrow

Hosta F 2020 .............

Show us some Fs today

Name this band

Comments (57)

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Paula you out did yourself today! Finally figured it out. Crosby, Stills & Nash!

Beth glad to see Fried Bananas. I got one this year but did not get it planted. Looks like yours is beyond happy.

nw you should be proud of that pic! I really need to get mine in the ground along with Forbidden Fruit.

Shadow I am always drawn to Frozen Margarita!

What a fabulous start!

Fall Dazzler

Fingerprint

Fire and Ice

Fortunei Albopicta at a softer stage of coloration.

Fortunei Aureomarginata

Fragrant Bouquet

Fragrant Dream

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    3 years ago

2nd bunch

Francee

Frances Williams from last year - had to move it.

Fried Bananas

Frosted Dimples

Frosted Mini Hearts

Frosted Mouse Ears

Funny Mouse

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    3 years ago

FANTASTIC

FIRST FROST

FIVE O’CLOCK SOMEWHERE

FOXFIRE PALM SUNDAY

FROST GIANT

FROSTED JADE

FRANCEE

FLAPJACK

FRAGRANT BLUE

• Laura z4b / Helsinki, Finland
    3 years ago

Firn Line

First Frost in the middle of June

..and in the middle of August

3 years ago

Part 2

Fog Light in June..

... and again in August

Flemish Sky (June 14th)

My little Fair Maiden (in front of it is even smaller Cracker Crumbs)

3 years ago

Part 3

Fireworks

Still very young, Forbidden Fruit

• hosta_maker
    3 years ago

First blush

flash of light seedling

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

Comments: all of the Frances Williams look really great. I had understood this one burned easily.

nicholworth, your Fire Island photos are great!

shadow, your Fire and Ice is very different looking from mine. I wonder how old it is?

peren, I love the color of thatFried Bananas.

sunnywood, I remember your Foxfire Palm Sunday from last year and I once again am admiring it. Your Fantastic is, well fantastic!

Laura, still in love with Flemish Sky. Is that from a European grower, or widely available, do you know?

hosta_maker, you are sooooo on the cutting-edge with First Blush and Bloodline. I love both and anxiously await other hostas you are working on.

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

My Fs:

Just IDd this in 2020

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    3 years ago

My only F photo......I’m realizing AGAIN how bad I was at taking photos this past season.

Forbidden Fruit was new last season.

Sherry

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

Part 2

Young plant, 2nd year

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

Part 3

This needs lifting, I believe it was planted too deep.

First bloom in 3-4 years. Can’t believe how dark it is by October

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    3 years ago

Debra; Fire and Ice is at least 15 yrs old. very slow grower.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

Forgot a couple

First year

Later in the season it is much fuller

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    3 years ago

djacobz..thanks!..wouldn't it be fun if Fire Island kept that beautiful spring yellow color?..I don't know for sure if I'd love the yellow forever..but if I could try it I would..

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    3 years ago

Frances Williams

Flemish Sky

Fire & Ice

• mae (zone 5b On)
    3 years ago

Firn Line

Fireplace

Fluted Fountain

• mae (zone 5b On)
    3 years ago

Foxfire Palm Sunday in front

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    3 years ago

So many good Fs and not enough time to comment on all of them. That First Mate almost made my list until I realized how similar (I hope) it is to the Hawaiian Luau I already have. Foxfire Palm Sunday is so unique I just had to get another one (from Fox Hosta (unrelated))

First Blush did much better when I moved it out of shade

Waiting for these two first years to grow up, but they look good already. First Dance and First Love

Can't decide which pic of Flemish Beauty I like better. The sunny one or the shady one so you get to see them both!

That's all for now, more to come.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

Wow! I can’t believe your Fire Island gets so dark! I think that’s kinda cool.

3 years ago

Debra, my Flemish Sky is European, it’s from Hostaworld, Holland. :) It’s beautiful and has unique powdery color but I wish it would grow faster - or maybe I just unfairly compare its growth speed to Blue Cadet, which sits right beside this.. ;)

• mbug_gw
    3 years ago

More F's.....

Forbidden Fruit 6-26-20

Fortunei Albomarginata 6-8-20

Fortunei Aureomarginata 5-25-20

Fragrant Bouquet 6-6-20

• mbug_gw
    3 years ago

Last ones....

Fragrant Fire 7-15-20

Fragrant King 6-15-20

Fragrant Queen 6-23-19

Frances Williams before she goes bad.... 5-16-20

Frisian Waving Steel 5-6-20

• mbug_gw
    3 years ago

A few more last ones, LOL....

Frozen Margarita 7-29-20

Funny Mouse 7-15-20

Funny Mouse 8-2-20

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    3 years ago

This is Fairy Dust. One of my favorite newer hostas. It was bright in the spring (but not as bright as Fire Island) and maintained a nice coloring throughout the season. This picture was taken early August. Looks like it grows well too.

Right in the center is Fire Island. No comparison to anyone else's! I used to grow it in a pot, and it took me a long time to figure out that it didn't like it there! Finally put it in the ground and it is much happier. Will the day ever come when it looks gorgeous again? I know it did once upon a time.

Firn Line. I have two of them. Looks very much like Blue Ivory to me (which I lost to rot). Time will tell. I am wondering whether Firn Line will grow as slowly as Blue Ivory did.

I've had this Feather Boa for several years now. In spring it just comes out as a small round bright ball! It's in a spin out bag due to birch tree roots.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    3 years ago

Continued . . .

Fortunei Aureomarginata. I have two of these. I have decided I need to remove one of them in order to make room for something newer. next season.

Fortunei Aureomarginata #2.

Fragrant Bouquet

New! I am up for the challenge!

First Blush. Growing well. I have heard it likes some sun so I will have to move it. It's in a spin out bag. The plan is that I will pull out the spin out bag in April and move it where it can get more sun. Hope that will bring out the "blush."

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

Hmmm, that Feather Boa looks mighty interesting. I might have to start a list...

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    3 years ago

newhostalady..oursteelers said it first..but I was thinking the same thing..Feather Boa is an eye catcher..I also love the name..

• old_dirt 6a
    3 years ago

djacobz568sewi - I'v had FW for over 15 years and has never been picture worthy.I've moved it several times, to no avail. :(

First Frost

Fortunei Hyacinthina

Fire and Ice - Hope it grows up someday

Foxfire Palm Sunday

Francee - Bought as Mildred Seaver many yeas ago

Forbidden Fruit

• Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
    3 years ago

peren.all, I planted my Fried Bananas in 2019 from bare root stock. It has really taken off. You will love it.

djacobz, you are right Frances Williams does burn easily. Mine was under a pine tree which has been thinning more each year. I decided to move my Frances Williams to a shadier spot last year. Will see how it does this year.

Steve, First Mate is much smaller(10") than Hawaiian Luau (18") high and Mate is Rhizomatous. I purchased it because we like to sail and I am the "First Mate". This plant gets better each year.

• beverlymnz4
    3 years ago

Fresian Waving Steel in center.

3 Fireworks

Frisian Pride is in a pot in the forground; Fortunei Aureomarginata is the furthest one back.

3 Fragrant Blues (left, middle, right)

Frosted mouse ears

Francee

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    3 years ago

Looking at all of yours, I think I’m regretting that I didn’t buy Forbidden Fruit last year when I had the chance. And I’m extra glad I have f. Hyacinthina, though I don’t have a picture of it. Also didn’t get a picture of Frosted Dimples after I moved it... but next summer. Here are the ones I do have pictures of:

Fluted Fountain behind Luna Moth

Faith, Final Summation and Fragrant Dream, with a tiny Teaspoon in the center. This was taken May 23, so the colors hadn’t yet developed in Faith and FS.

Not a good picture of Fragrant Queen, but I’m wondering- those of you who grow this one... will these leaves get rounder and the border wider and prettier with maturity? Or is mine perhaps not really FQ?

3 years ago

That Fairy Dust is a winner. mbug - your plants are consistently among the best specimens for every letter. You are way ahead in the best grower race in my book. Not that its a race, or I even have a book, but you're winning. I think your picture of Frozen Margarita may be Stained Glass.

3 years ago

Fog Light is a winner early or late in my book (which, I don't have). Didn't look as good this year due to frost etc. but here mine is in June.

Windy - your Fragrant Queen looks big enough to show mature characteristics, but keep your fingers crossed for next year. Here's mine planted in 2019, pic from last July 9th.

Full Frontal - one of my favorite Strip Tease sports

• dianefw
    3 years ago

A few of my F hosta.

I am admiring Forbibben Fruit which I lost last winter to a vole. Guess I will have to find another.

Francee Have three of these on the north side of the house. Plants are very large and love their location. In same location for at least 10 years.

Frances Williams

First Frost Just put into ground this year, needs to grow.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    3 years ago

Steve- your FQ is lovely. I’ve had mine since 2017, although I did move it once - away from tree roots - so that may have set it back. I’ll give it more time and pay more attention this summer/try to take more pictures.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

Sandyslopes, loving Flemish Sky.

Mae, I was noting the similarities between Firn Line and Blue Ivory, I think because they both have Halcyon lineage.

sandyslopes, adore that Flemish Sky

steveduggins, I also love First Blush and it’s on my list. You also have consistently posted great hostas. Don’t be so modest! Love your Fog Light

newhostalady, love that Feather Boa, gotta get it

old dirt, loving your Forbidden Fruit

so many great hostas here!!

debra

• mbug_gw
    3 years ago

Steve.....thanks for the kind words. I do have many that aren't ready for prime time as well.

You may be right that Frozen Margarita may be Stained Glass. It's one that I recently moved and easily could have been mistaken.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    3 years ago

Some F’s from my garden this year.
    Frosted Dimples, Fragrant Bouquet, Fragrant Blue, and First Frost.

• beverlymnz4
    3 years ago

The Fragrant Queens are beautiful. I killed mine with one too many times in-and-out of the the ground to the pot. I need to improve my method of over wintering my hosta's in pots. I couldn't find a replacement so I bought Royal Wedding instead. steve duggins and mbug, you've made me search for it again. Pretty pictures.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

Royal Wedding is a lovely hosta and the flower is highly fragrant. You will not be sorry you bought it. Mine has done really well in my yard.

debra.

3 years ago

Finally found some Faith. It was hiding behind June and Touch of Class in one of my pics so I cropped this pic of it. One of my early purchases (4 years ago) it is finally showing some stuff after battling some over amended soil and tree roots.

3 years ago

Can't wait for these two to grow up. Foxfire Irish Moon - love the color and Foxfire Petticoat Junction - hmmm no ruffles. Did I get the right plant or do they come with maturity?

• miles10612
    3 years ago

Steve, those last 2 Foxfire look great. I am very impressed with all of the FW's. It was the first hosta I bought years ago. Usually it gets burnt in early summer but last year it looked much better probably due to the extra branches on the oak tree above it. Forbidden Fruit looks great in most gardens. I think I bought Fire and Ice years ago but it's gone now. I got a Fingerprint 2 years ago and I hope that it looks as good as peren.all's. Foglight is quite interesting but I am running out of space in the yard so I have had to curtail some of my buying impulses.

• Karin Black Cat
    3 years ago

I prepared pictures for the alphabet in our fb group and never found the time to post them here too. But I will try to make up for this :-)

• Karin Black Cat
    3 years ago

• Karin Black Cat
    3 years ago

• Karin Black Cat
    3 years ago

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

That Flemish Sky is KILLING me!!!