oklamoni

January 2021 Week 2

OklaMoni

Not much going on in my garden... except I did pick some lettuce on Friday, and made a glorious garden along with fresh eggs from Kat. I need to make taller cold frames for next year. I had to pick the lettuce, cause it started to hit the glass.

• hazelinok

Nice looking salad, Moni. I forgot to harvest lettuce today for my salad tomorrow (and all week). I doubt I'll have time to do it in the morning.

It's been a nutty day. Our washing machine is messed up. Tom ordered the part to fix it (and it came in this afternoon) but they sent two of one thing and none of another thing (thrust bearing???). Ugh. I went to Mom's to do a load of laundry while he worked on it. Our heater went out overnight. I'm thankful for space heaters. Hopefully we can get someone out tomorrow to look at it...and fix it.

All of this is cutting into my garden budget! Boo!

HU was going to come out today to check over the garden and start on the greenhouse. BUT, it is SO cold today...and we have all the repair issues going on. It was hard to focus on anything.

I am getting excited about starting seeds. Then...I have to remind myself of the year that I started tomatoes at the end of January. I ran out of vertical space and it was just an ordeal. Trying to deal with all the giant "seedlings". LOL Of course, if the greenhouse is finished, I could always put them in there until we are *sure* of no more frosts. The greenhouse will be behind the shop and there is an electrical outlet on the outside of the shop...so we could run a heater to it if necessary.

Hardening off plants isn't my favorite thing to do and it's difficult when you're at work. Last year, we were in quarantine...and that was useful for that purpose.

All of my seeds aren't in yet anyways. I still need to order the Copra onions and onion fertilizer. And reserve some chicks. I waited to long last year and didn't get the varieties I wanted. Although, I love the little ladies I did get.

Lowes has a couple of seed racks out...and seed starting supplies. We stopped at TSC and they didn't have any gardening stuff out yet. I need to be sure to get back to Lowes and pick up some of the large peat pellets. They were hard to find last year.

Well...I guess I've rambled long enough.

• jlhart76

Our furnace is acting up so I put a call in to the home warranty department, then ran to home depot for some space heaters. 2 of them are keeping the house mostly warm. And I'm in awe of how quiet they are! My old one sounded like a snoring old woman & barely warmed 5ft in front of it.

Going through seeds & pulling everything that's getting too old to be reliable. Then I'll make a list & see what I'm missing. Seed planning season has sprung!

Should I put a kitchen table in kitchen(DR is open to it)

Your space is very similar to my sister's home and she has a round table in her home and just loves it. They use the island for coffee and breakfast, but sit at the table for their other meals and save the dining room for larger gatherings.

HELP!!! Want to surprise my husband w/ a home office!

My "other" profession is records management (there's more crossover than one might think). From this, with experience including a 500 office re-design, I know that file storage is a BIG issue, e-files just as much but that is my other consulting biz. DO NOT get a lateral cabinet for storage if your space is tight. Vertical cabinets may be od fashion, but are more efficient--but file shelves are the best. Use end-tab folders and adjustable shelves to achieve 2-3 times the storage space in a smaller footprint. With good design, this can be a seamless aspect of book and collectible storage in your home office. Be productive (and pay attention to both the assets and liabilities that come with information resource management ;-)

January 2015 Declutter Challenge!

I started on the hall closet . . . Then my husband decided to start dragging boxes up from the basement, so he derailed my plan, as I ended up going through the boxes he pulled up. But we did rid ourselves of 6 or 7 boxes, kept very little. I had to tell him to not bring up anymore of "my" boxes. (He has enough of his own junk that he has hauled around for 40 years without making work for me.) I did not get back to the hall closet, so now I have a folding table with a bunch of stuff on it blocking the hall. Thank heavens it only has three shelves, albeit very large shelves and the ground level holds, vacuum cleaner, floor mopping device, above mentioned folding table & folding chairs and TV trays. Photos to come.

Master suite remodel

FWIW, the remodel ended up costing me about 50,000. Most of the materials I purchased online from Build.com They gave me a good discount because I ordered so much from them. My Contractor thought I had Ferrari taste in paint and other things he provided. : ) It is true that my materials were somewhat upscale. But mostt of the expense had to be in cabinetry. I had a LOT of cabinets and shelving done. But it was worth every penny! So far I cannot think of a thing I would change if I redid it all. Suzanne saved me from making many, many mistakes!
  • dbarron

Yes, I know all about starting seeds too early (without a greenhouse). I just hope I'm able to cope with what I already have growing (heliopsis and echinacea) inside. The desire to get going and try to get first year flowers vs limited windowsill area and lanky seedlings.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b

I have a number of clear plastic tubs which Ron drilled holes in for drainage. They have hinged half lids that meet in the middle. The last 2 years I hardened off in these. Angled so that they got morning sun and half closed, I didn't have to move them. Closed the lids at night, covered or brought them in if really cold. Eventually they just stayed open. I've got natives winter sown in one now, albeit sun rotted and not safe to cart around.

I'm so sorry about the furnace issues and the washer. We have an electric furnace and it had a hard time keeping up and blows constantly. FYI I don't like heat pumps.

I've been fighting with evernote and now a replacement called notebook. Notebook attempted to transfer 6 years worth of "notes" (more than 5,000) out of ever note. EN has changed formatting through the years and I would not say the transfer was particularly successful. They're there, but some are jpegs that have to be downloaded. Oh well, it was time to cull it out any way.

Have a good Monday.

• luvncannin

Jennifer where do you order your chicks from?

Going to begin major work on the new garden on Thursday. I can’t get much done while the baby is sleeping so I realized I have to go on my day off.

i am getting loads of cardboard so hopefully I will have enough to do the perimeter. The first section is 25x50. It seems huge. This year is going to have a more definitive plan. With succession sowing I have to be able to keep up. I am going to grow some for market this year and need to be much more precise.

My seeds are almost all inventoried and organized. I have a large collection which I don’t mind but I need to use some of the older stuff up.

• OklaMoni

Larry my back yard/garden is a Bermuda grass clay pit... and I had a hard time growing stuff. I dug trenches, and the soil I dug up is used to make a few somewhat raised beds. Now I can grow a lot better.

This is the first year I have cold frames.

They looked awesome this morning. :)

I hope to dig out some more of that AWESOME Bermuda crap tomorrow... :) and I need to move my tomato frame and cages... just so I can plan better what I plant where this year.

It looks once again soooo much nicer than it is.. but it also feels nicer than yesterday.

Moni

• Rebecca (7a)

I do hope Chris is utilizing Dawns seed stash this year.

Johnnys is closed to all but commercial seed orders right now. Glad I got my small order in before, even though I haven’t gotten it yet. Pinetree arrived, and I got what I needed from Burpee and FM. Seeds n Such is on the way. Trying to make decisions for some other things. Need to start a few perennials, but the warmer days are the days I work. I’m planning on starting at least one tomato jug on super bowl Sunday, in Dawns memory. The rest I’ll start a couple weeks later.

Should I start bunching onions the same time I plant onion plants? I have trouble getting them started.

I‘m on the hunt for feed tubs too.

• hazelinok

Kim, I've only mail ordered chicks once and they came from My Pet Chicken.

They are good because they allow you to purchase very few chicks. Some places require 24+. I only ordered 7 last time. This time I'll order 6. Six is the minimum they will ship to Oklahoma.

I ordered all pullets and got all pullets. They all arrived healthy.

I'm thinking of a couple of basic Easter Eggers, a Snowy Easter Egger (more that I usually spend on a chick), an Exchequer Leghorn....and a couple more. I haven't decided yet.

Amy, I hope our unit can be fixed and it's not super expensive. We are all electric. Ours does pretty well. We put new windows in over 4 years ago when we did the partial home remodel. Maybe that helps?

Tom got the washer fixed. It's not leaking any longer, but is a little squeaky. I'm just glad it works.

I got seeds in the mail today. It's getting real!

Rebecca, I like your plan to start tomatoes on Super Bowl Sunday to honor Dawn.

I saw Chris post a congratulations on Bruce's anniversary post last week. I also hope he is able to use Dawn's seed supply.

• jlhart76

Ok, seeds are partly gone through and sorted into baggies by when & how to plant (wintersow, direct so, inside). Next step is to make tags for everything. 2021 goal: label every plant so I'm not playing "did I plant you?" as often this year!

Furnace still out, the repair guy said he would order the part & send reimbursement to the warranty instead of us having to go through the warranty to order it & it take 4 weeks. In the meantime the living room is comfortable, dining room ok except the tile is freezing, and the rest of the house is coolish. I may have to watch for another of these space heaters, and maybe reallocate the radiator one for my (hopefully) future greenhouse.

From following Dawn all these years, I've gotten into the habit of starting a few tomatoes on superbowl too, so I'll probably do that again in her honor.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b

My rabbit hole for the day: Dawn's posts. In the old days I just Googled growing xyz in Oklahoma and Dawn or George would pop up. Google was not cooperating (Houzz must not pay them enough). I also couldn't bring up older posts through Houzz search.

+oklahoma+okiedawn site:houzz.com

type the above into Google and you get her posts. I have bumped several up so if you go to the main page you will see them. They are as much as 15 years old. I wonder how long she was actually a member here?

OklaMoni thanked AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
  • hazelinok

Amy, it will be fun to look at all of those old threads. Seeing them caused me to look up my first thread--the first one I started. It was June 23, 2014. It didn't get much action--just 4 or 5 posts. The second one did. It was titled Pumpkins!!! or something like that. All the cool people commented on it. Well, not all the cool people, but some of them--Larry, Dawn, and George.

Amy, someone told you not to "bump" at one of the threads. Did you see that?

LOL

Our heater issue appears to be an issue that needs an electrician. So, one is coming out this evening.

Our washing machine has a second issue now. LOL Why?! Why...why?!!!

It's no longer leaking, but it's also not draining. It drained on the first load....but now it's not. I think I know why. But, we'll work on it another day.

Glad your furnace is getting fixed, Jen.

If all the cool people are starting tomatoes on Superbowl Sunday...maybe I'll start a few too.

My Totally Tomatoes order came in today. Sungold, Jetsetter and Craig's Grande jalapenos. They also sent a couple of trial packs like they do. Big Red pepper and Tasty Pink Beefsteak.

• Nancy Waggoner

The closest I've gotten to gardening was looking through the Prairie Moon catalog. I've been buried in a new Bible study. I guess there are worse ways to spend time. It's actually pretty nice here today. So. . . went out to check on things. Nothing happening.

So sorry about heater problems, washing machines. . . hate it when those sorts of expenses interfere with our fun. Speaking of expenses. . . it appears some one stole the far back seats out of the boat. (They're just sturdy cushions, really. CRAZY. We spent 2-3 hours trying to find replacements online, to no avail. Garry stopped at upholstery place in Muskogee--WAY expensive, like $400 a piece. So then he went to all the boat places he could think of in Tulsa. Nope. So he got home and we decided to re-strategize. I said, "Well at least we know why someone stole them now. Only place they could find replacements for their missing ones was us." He DID get a lead on a guy up on Grand Lake, so called him. Apparently the guy has several of our kind of boat. He thought he might be able to help, so we faxed a picture of the seats. . . that was about 5 days ago. . . guy hadn't gotten around to it but said he'd be able to check them out and take pictures tomorrow.

We got a huge order of groceries this morning from Walmart--and they weren't out of anything and didn't have to substitute anything. I'm in a rut, though--can't think of different things to make for meals. That ever happen with you?

You could WS your bunching onions if from seed, right? I wasn't going to do onions this year but caved at the last minute. I ordered a bunch this year with the idea that many will be harvested as green onions.

Yes, it is exciting to think about planting seeds but I'm not nearly as excited for Lincoln with Covid 19 being so bad.

• Larry Peugh

If I had my light shelf ready to go I would start a few cold weather things, but it is hard for me to get in the mood, I am having too many Dr. visits. I dont feel bad, just cant quite get with the program. I really need to clean out the center bedroom, that is where I have most of the gardening stuff, + I have pumpkins and sweet potatoes stored in there.

We went to town today. I wanted to stock up on gas, and diesel. Every thing, even the generator is full of fuel. I have ask Madge to not let the car get too low on fuel. I had rather fill up on nice days. filling up a fuel tank when it is raining, windy, and 33* is not a lot of fun.

We stopped by the Roo Doo animal park to see if they wanted us to grow some food for the animals. There was a lot of construction going on, but it looked closed. I guess it is just as well at this time, because I still have more Dr, appointments ahead of me.

It is such a beautiful day, 50*, the wind is cool, but the sun is nice.

I guess I had better go, I bought material to install under-the- cabinet receptacles.

I just got a call for a Covid. vacation, I told the lady that I heard that they were in short supply, and to give mine to someone that needed it.

I just noticed that I had not sent this post. My helper called and needed some work, so I went out with him and help by showing him what to do. He is a wonderful young man, and a good worker, but I have to show him what, and, do most things. About 1.5 hours is all I could do. He did all the work, but I had to show, and or tell him everything, but I enjoyed it, and I think he did also, and wanted to come back tomorrow, but I have 3 dr. appointments that are 150 to 175 miles apart over the next week or two. This old man just cant take it anymore.

• hazelinok

Nancy, I'm making posole today. It's an authentic Mexican dish. I'm not sure I'll eat much of it, but did taste it and it's great! It is a bit of a process. I'm off work today so had time to make it. It's fun because a lot of the ingredients you can use from your garden: poblano/ancho peppers, onions, garlic, oregano. HU and I made hominy this summer, so we have that canned. It also calls for a pepper called guajillo. I made it with pork because that's supposed to be more traditional, but some people do chicken instead. We have a hog that will be butchered in the spring, so we'll even have the pork too.

I must find some of these guajillo pepper seeds and grow them. A plant or two.

Do you like salmon? I made salmon yesterday. We had baked potatoes and green beans with it. It was good.

I'm trying to eat meat again if I feel good about the meat.

On Wednesday, we do "healthy" pizza.

Then on Thursday, Tom will grill chicken and I'm frying okra.

Nothing too fancy this week.

Do you like pasta? Tortellini is good. If you made pesto from you garden basil, use that in your sauce.

Thai food is my fav. Here's a vegetarian recipe that I use often. It's good because you can change up the veggies in it. The coconut milk and ginger just make it so delicious. I'll make a side of meat for the guys...either chicken or shrimp. Get some spring rolls and there's dinner.

Thai recipe

Or how about a frittata if you like eggs? There's all kinds of interesting things to with a frittata.

Larry, I'm sorry you're stuck going to a ton of doctor appointments. That is not fun.

I've had a few friends tell me to get the cars gassed up and buy extra gas and propane in case something nuts happens in the next few days.

Tom discovered the heater issue. He took a circuit panel that goes to the ac/heating unit off the wall that is next to the unit...and it is completely fried.

Again...happy for space heaters. It would be worse in the heat of the summer.

I might work on my planner tonight--transfer my plans to the planner and get it "set".

• Nancy Waggoner

Now it's me thinking about Dawn and weeping. I know sometimes she was up in the middle of the night. Amy, I know we all miss her. I certainly do. In fact, as I was earlier outside today, briefly, I thought to myself that my passion for the vegetable growing largely came from her. Thought I became invested in growing , first, flowers, and then all kinds of forbs, I really didn't grow veggies (well at least not for the past 30 years).

She was such an inspiration. She was a singular person. She was amazing.

I am so joyful that she inspired so many others so many of US. Whaat a gift she was to all of us. In fact, I've realized that a lot of my passion in gardening--the vegetable part--came straight from her. And what I also love is that since she so inspired me I reached into this gardening thing. . . I ended up becoming impassioned with growing plants for pollinators (that is, native plants).

GDW and I don't require a lot of food. And so while I love growing SOME food, don't need a big garden.

I've been cooking a LOT for the past couple months, and in large quantities, to share with the local community. I''m trying to be mindful of what kinds of dishes various families would enjoy, and which dishes might be healthier. Tough. It's a little sad that I think most of the folks in our nearby town will prefer unhealthy fast foods, and in fact, won't even eat healthier foods.

HJ! I adore Thai! But have not yet garnered the courage to venture into trying to cook. Spring rolls are THEEE ultimate delicious food.

Thx for trying to get me out of this rut. . . I appreciate it. I love tortellini. . . my main problem here, I just realized is Garry Dean. He is a picky eater. Meat and potatoes. On the one hand, drives me crazy. On the other, I can fix healthy food even with the meat/potatoes thing, since he DOES love salad. I love your veggie/vegan cooking. Just won't fly here. Garry is a brat..

I fix pozole every now and then--it's one of those things like meatloaf. . . no one makes it the same way.

But how funny you mentioned it. GDW and I have sworn off pork--pork chops, loin roasts, tenderloin. . . All tough. they've bred pigs to be so lean that now pork cuts are tough. The one cut that is great is shoulder roast (ironically a tough cut. . .). Lots of fat in it. . . but to be cooked low and slow.. . . . . and so now this is our cut of choice.

Yes, I love salmon, HJ. Again a GDW problem.

Larry, how are you, what's going on/??

Danny............notice you're absent, like I've been. Suspect same kind of stuff going on with us.

Love to you all. . .

• dbarron

Lol, not really absent, but had nothing to say over the cold weather and political unrest. I've barely been outside, sheltering inside from the weather ;0

• OklaMoni

yesterday was an awesome day here. Warmer. No wind to speak of. AWESOME.

Thus, you know what I did.... LOL, I got on my bike. Rode 22.7 glorious miles. Nothing picture worthy in plants....

But the day before... I ventured out, got my digging tools and seat... and dug up some Bermuda grass. I love it, when ever I make some progress on that front, each and every time.

Not a big plot, but enough for a start in this new year. I will work on increasing this over the coming somewhat warmer days... and once done, I will move my little peach tree to the front.

My back yard is like a wind tunnel. That poor thing can't grow straight. I loved the peaches I had at the last house, and gladly accepted this free seedling when it was offered. Didn't realize at the time, it would so so tough for it at the spot I chose for it. I need to remedy this before it gets any bigger.

Challenging times right now... hang in all, this will sort itself out eventually.

Moni

• jlhart76

Nancy, I have a picky eater too. Cliff won't eat vegetables at all, doesn't like chicken, potatoes, rice, steak, or fish, though he'll eat them on occasion. I think he'd be perfectly happy if I fixed sausage macaroni and hamburgers. That's why I ground up a bunch of dehydrated vegetables. I can toss in a handful while cooking & at least fool myself into thinking he's eating some veggies. I feel like I'm in a rut, so I'm always looking for new recipes.

• Larry Peugh

Nancy, I am fine. The trip to the doctor today will only be for my feet. I have had feet problems for years, and don.t walk well. I have had arthritis and gout for over 40 years. every few years I go in and get molds made for my feet and have special inserts made. They seem to help support my feet better, and it is a little less painful to walk,

After I go to this Dr. I will go Fayetteville Ar. ( Tulsa would not honor my ins.) for heart ablation, we will talk about it first, I had never heard of heart ablation. My daughter is going to take us, and talk to the Dr.. I first was in the hosp for 5 days in 1988, at that time they did not know what to do with my heart, but it seems to be worse now, and technology has changed. I may still decide to bypass treatment. The next appointment will be with my cancer Dr. in Ft. smith. I have watched my brother and dad die with cancer, the time could come when I would be praying for a heart attack.

I have wonderful medical people taking care of me. Most of my medicine comes from the Indian clinic, I am treated like a king, today I am in favor of giving this country back to the Indians, maybe they could fix it.

I have my fair share of problems, but I feel pretty good. The arthritis is by far the most painful, so far.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b

RLarry, both Ron and my father have had heart ablation. My father has A-fib, his was to prevent strokes. Ron had an extra electrical path in his heart which was eliminated. They then implanted a defibrillator. Ron's heart was weakened, possibly by a virus.

I was looking for something on a topic I knew Dawn had written on. I wanted to be able to link to the source, because I had cut and pasted to my notes. Which sent me looking for a better way to find her posts. I didn't mean to open any wounds, Nancy. H/J, it is true Dawn's beliefs and methods changed through the years. I found posts as old as 15 years ago, and people who no longer post here.

I think I could eat Mexican food every day. (It is probably Ron's least favorite, though he has accepted it more through the years.

I was paging through Johnny's catalog and found that the provider beans i bought thinking they were contender germinate in colder soil. I could get them going earlier. I intend to grow Mascote in containers this year. I really liked them, very tender.

I guess it's Wed. Have a good one.

• hazelinok

Hey Danny. Sometimes there's just not much to talk about. I tend to ramble about recipes and chickens and other things when I've nothing garden related to talk about.

Amy, I like that Dawn continued to grow and learn and try different things as the years went by. She blessed us with all of her learning and knowledge. I try not to think about her too deeply because I don't want to feel sad. I avoid sad feelings as much as possible especially when there's nothing I can do about a situation. And we all have a quality or two of Dawn that helped us relate to her...you know?

Larry, my feet are messed up. But just the inserts from stores seem to help a lot. Especially since the podiatrist showed me how to put them in my shoes. I had been putting them in incorrectly. Feet issues suck. I'm glad you healthcare people are making special inserts for your shoes. Vionic shoes are supposed to be great for feet issues. BUT special inserts even better, I would guess.

With picky eaters OR cooking for people who have different preferences is tricky for sure. Like with Thai food, IF Garry likes grilled/baked/pan fried chicken, you could make him that. And he could eat that with rice (if he likes rice) and whatever veggie he will eat. Then, you can cut up your chicken and add it to your Thai food and eat that over rice. That's sort of how I plan our meals....keeping in mind all of our preferences. It's still a pain though. When I was a kid, Mom made one meal and you ate it or didn't eat. My Dad included. (he wasn't picky, but preferred meat and potatoes). The one exception was liver. Mom would fix it 3 or 4 times a year. She would let my sister and me walk to the McDonalds that was a couple of blocks away. She started doing that when I was around 10. I'm the oldest. That was always a treat. We didn't get fast food very often.

That's good, Amy, that the Provider beans will geminate in colder soil!

I'm at work...and should get back to it.

• dbarron

Yes, I remember doing a thai stir fry for two of my aunts and their husbands. OMG, I think we had to cook everything separately, because there was someone that didn't like bell peppers, someone mushrooms, (me) onions, etc. I *may* have been able to stir fry the bok choi with the meat, but I'm not sure ;)

I hesitate to talk about the political happenings because A) people are polar on them B) I remember that you never talk about religion or politics in polite company C) the rest of my life gives me enough of it.

Yes, I do agree that I miss Dawn. I'm not so sure that I don't look for her comments every week...

• jlhart76

I think I'd have less regard for someone who DIDN'T change over time. I certainly dontwant to be judged today by things I said 10 years ago. Dawn was one of those life long learners, always experimenting and finding what worked best for her. And over time, she found that what worked best one year didn't work best the following, or there was an even better "best way" to do it.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b

I remember asking my mom what was for dinner as she turned liver into shoe leather on the stove. She said steak. I didn't believe her. She liked overcooked liver. I like liver about once a year. Cooked at home and NOT overcooked. With onions.

Our kids got take it or leave it. There was always ONE that didn't like something.

The things of Dawn's were posts I thought might be useful right now, since we can't ASK her. I should do the same kind of search for George.

Ron started work on the greenhouse today!

I'd been wondering why I have ants in the house. Really not the season. Ron potted a Basil plant a while back. Ants came running out when I watered. I need to repot it.

• Larry Peugh

Amy, thanks for the info.

I have had mixed reports over the years about my heart. Different doctors have different ideas. There are two things they all agree on, 1, I have a wiring problem, and , 2, I am often running low on oxygen. But when I am working I seem to do better.

I have new inserts coming.

I stopped at the farmers co-op, but no new seeds in yet.

• dbarron

Or Amy, on a warm day, just take it out and water it thorougly and repeated during the day. The ants will find a less wet home. That's easier than repotting ;)

• Nancy Waggoner

OKAY! I finally caught up over the past couple weeks. I have to confess to you all that the political upheaval affected me mightily. I don't want it to be any part of our gardening forum, but can't deny it doesn't affect me.

So. THAT, and then our new Bible study zoom class (which is kind of a hoot, really) have kind of sent me into a tailspin and into an introspective study of myself.

But I enjoyed all your posts and am so grateful for "knowing" you all.

I am not a "my precious pets mean EVERYTHING to me" type of person. But like most of the rest of you, our 3 cats and 1 dog are definitely family members. Like with human family members, I get pretty angry with any or all of these relatives. Guess what I realized. None of THEM ever get angry with us because we bow to their every whim. This is not right! BRATS, spoiled brats, all of them.

Thanks to you all for being here.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)

Hi all. HJ, thanks so much for all the dinner suggestions. Tonight we're having breakfast again. Pancakes, bacon and eggs.

Amy, no problem talking about Dawn. I want very much to keep her company in the gardening. Hey, I have a joke for you.

A first grade teacher was reading the story of the Three Little Pigs to her class. She came to the part of the story where the first little pig was trying to find straw to build his home. Teacher said, “And so the pig went up to the man with a wheelbarrow full of straw and said ‘Pardon me sir, but might I have some of that straw to build my house?’ ”

Then the teacher asked the class, “And what do you think that man said?” My friend’s son raised his hand and said, “I know! I know!” he said. “Holy smokes! A talking pig!”

What a lazy slug I've been.

• Larry Peugh

I just got back from my wildlife garden and brought back good mess of turnips. I washed them and will put them in the refrig, should last a couple of weeks. I even picked turnips out in the lawn. You may remember me talking about planting turnips, winter peas, collards and rye grass in the lawn just for kicks, well I will eat some of those kicks.

There are a lot of deer tracks over there, but I dont think that turnips are the highest item on their menu.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)

When can I plant greens, I'm in the mood to grow them!

Probably in March if there is no polar vortex trying to plunge down. Starting with spinach.

HU

• Sharon Hankins

I'm in the mood, just got to figure out how to plant some here at my daughter's home.

Backyard won't work - dogs go in and out of the garden beds.

Might plant a large pot of kale in the front yard and hope the neighborhood cats don't like it.

Sigh...compromise, compromise.

Had to check in to see what you people were up to!

Sharon

• luvncannin

Nancy greens as in kale collards mustard do better for me if I sow indoors then transplant Out

• Larry Peugh

I have never started greens ( other than lettuce) indoors, no reason it would not would not work. Greens are sort of a scrape crop for me. That is if I have the weather, and the room I had rather grow something else. But, with that being said, greens will grow well when a lot of other crops wont. If I were wanting to start some greens soon I would place a clear plastic cover over them. It might take a few weeks for them to sprout, plus the cold weather would be hard on them. I have taken clear plastic and placed it over the planted area, with sticks poked into the soil to give about 3 or 4 inches of head room. They may take a few weeks to come up, but I have very little labor involved, and not much money, the seed cost from $3.50 to $4.00 a pound. I buy trash can liners in bulk, and I think that I used the smaller size, which fit a can about the size of a 5 gal bucket. I place dirt around the edge to keep it from blowing away, I think I pay about $.03 each for the plastic sack.

My greens are not growing much now, matter of fact, they look bad. The turnips seem to be okay, and I expect them to last till spring, growing a little when weather permits. I think they are a wonderful fill-in crop. The down side for me growing turnips, is that they are hard to get rid of when you want to plant something else. That small turnip will just lie there wanting to keep growing. I also have the same problem with sweet potatoes, but the cold weather will kill the sweet potatoes. I had sweet potatoes growing in my greens, still up into the cold weather.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b

Larry, we are days away from the end of Persephone days. It is the 17th here. When the days are longer your greens will perk up. I wish I liked turnip greens. I like the bulbs, can't do the greens. Ron likes them.

Danny, I took the Basil outside yesterday and flooded it a couple of times, but I still had an ant on me this morning. Maybe they're coming from a different plant. I spent a long time yesterday reading home remedies for ants. Not because I wanted one, but because some one on Facebook posted something I thought was false, but couldn't find anything to prove it either way.

I will probably start greens indoors, because my space for them is limited enough that I plant a few plants and tend to tuck them in wherever I can. I hope the Brussels sprouts survive and produce in the spring. I've also got kale out there and maybe broccoli. A couple of Swiss chards and arugula. I want Ron to work on the front bed. It needs to be repaired and some dirt added. I want to put all my old lettuce seeds in that bed in advance of tomatoes. However, he is thinking about the greenhouse. This is a priority, too.

I guess some places had flurries today. Not going to be warm again till Monday.

• Larry Peugh

Amy, your remark about the lettuce reminded me about a year or two ago, I had extra lettuce seed. I buy the larger seed bags from the co-op, and the will have much more seeds than I need, so I planted some in the pasture. I planted about a 200 sq. ft. area on a knoll about 50 yards south of the house. Most of these seeds were of red types of lettuce. I had remover all the hay ring scrap and placed it in the compost pile. I then disc the area and placed the seed. Of course the lettuce came up very quickly. At the distance from the house that was as pretty as a flower bed

• Nancy RW (zone 7)

I think I'll start some seeds indoors, too, Amy. I certainly have enough room on the grow cart.

I could eat Mexican or Tex Mex 3 times a week or more. GDW likes it too. I make tex mex casseroles with chicken, hamburger; nachos; tacos, tacos w/baked potatoes instead of tortillas, enchiladas, quesadillas and so forth. I especially like it because it coaxes me into eating lots of lettuce, which I generally chop and serve with it all.

Good luck, Sharon! Daughter not interested in growing stuff? Go for it!

Brrr. It's 39-40. But the wind sounds awful. Brr.

Thai--I love Thai, Jennifer. I may have to dig out some Thai recipes. I do have a lot of the sauces and ingredients. SOME Thai, GDW liked. We both love spring rolls--I even have some wrappers. . . but chicken. lol

It sounds like we make our posole about the same way. BTW, HJ, I grew guajillo peppers last year--they did great. Way more guajillo peppers than I had any use for!

I think I'll go finish sorting my seeds, speaking of guajillo peppers!

Later.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)

I finished sorting. Sorting seeds makes me dizzy! And I have way way too many seeds--too many vegetable seeds, herb seeds, flower seeds. Except peppers! I was thinking I had several left from last year, but could only find a couple. So. Got those ordered.

• Larry Peugh

I have not sorted my seeds yet, but I know I have more than I need. I went by the farmers co-op yesterday and checked on there seed supply. No new seeds in yet, but they had a lot of last years pepper seeds on sale, but I did not want to go through them, they were just laying there in a wash tub.

Madge cooked some of the turnips I picked for lunch. I seem to be liking turnips more. About 3 or 4 years ago I planted some forage turnips for the deer, of course I had to try a few, cooked and raw. I dont know a lot about turnips, but those are the best I have eaten. This year I planted purple top and forage turnips side by side so I could try them both. The forage turnips just seem to be sweeter. I think they are called Barkant turnips, and bred for live stock. The only think I have to complain about is they dont grow as deeply in the soil, and the deer sometimes pull the plant up when they are feeding on them, and just bite the plant off at the bulb, I dont understand that. When I toss some over the fence for the cattle, they eat leaves, bulbs, and dirt.

• hazelinok

I'm going to try to remember to order guajillo peppers. I don't need many plants....just a couple.

Nancy, you can start your greens indoors now, if you want. If I had found a box of jiffy pellets at Lowes earlier this afternoon, I probably would be starting some this weekend. A FB memory came up this week from last year and I had already started greens a year ago.

Danny, yeah the political thing is upsetting for sure because people are so polar. And my sensitivity doesn't tolerate that very well. I understand feeling strongly about something political, but when it turns into demonizing anyone that disagrees....well, I just can't go there. When someone right out says that someone who believes differently from them is bad, not a Christian, not this or not that OR this or that--well, that is mostly simply not true. I know good people who believe different ways. These people are hard working, love and care for their families, give to others in need, and many other great traits. BUT, when those same good people are yelling about someone else with different beliefs...it's just too much for me. I want to run around and defend everyone on every side because I have a weird ability to understand where all sides are coming from...and they mostly have good reason for believing what they believe. And if we all tried to truly understand. TRULY understand (and spend less time trying to convince), then so much of the ugliness could be avoided. BUT, it would take most people trying. Anyway...I'm rambling and not making much sense with my words.

Larry, you and HU garden the same way. Lots of seeds.

I'm glad you're enjoying your turnips. I honestly never ate them until last year when we picked up some small salad turnips at the farmer's market. I like the purple tops too. I do peel them when adding them to a salad. They look cleaner and taste sweeter to me. I am a fan for sure.

But, I'm like you, Amy, I don't care for turnip greens. If I was starving, I would eat them. I don't hate them....but prefer kale, spinach, lettuce, and arugula.

Has anyone started brussels from seed?

So...

We bought a new washer today. Nothing fancy. A guy who works with Tom was at Lowes and his wife was picking out a new washer/dryer. I chose the one he wanted his wife to choose. BUT, she went for the fancy champagne colored one. I felt like a cheapo. Here's the deal, I want a cute utility room. BUT, until our pups cross the rainbow bridge, the utility room will not be cute. Their crates are in there and quite honestly, it's just dirty. The dogs are dirty and these dogs shed a lot. SO...someday I'll have a cute utility room. But, for now, just the plain washer please.

I also picked up one of those little grow lights that come with a stand. It's just big enough for a large tray. It will be handy because it could set on a counter or dresser or desk or shelf.

Some seeds and some seed starting supplies are out at the Moore and Norman Lowes.

Our heater issue isn't really a heater issue but one that requires an electrician. Our friend is helping us out. So thankful because although he said he wouldn't charge us, I will pay him but it won't be as expensive. He's finishing up right now.

Now that the washer and heater are taken care of, I can start getting the house clean and organized. I really wanted to purchase a couple of things for the house, but these issues might prevent that. It's okay, though. If I can at least do my usual January clean up and clean out...I'll feel better about going into seed starting and gardening.

We are planning on cleaning up the shop on Monday. HU is coming out Sunday and Monday to work on the GH...or hoop house. I guess there's a difference. Super exciting, right?

Right.

HU

don't mean to annoy but here is an interesting concept;

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/1404827/new-question-about-urine-as-fertilizer#n=46

HU

• Nancy Waggoner

HJ, I actually ordered more guajillo chili peppers, because I wanted them for chili. They're not hot like Anaheim or even Jalapeño. Very flavorful. . . here'a description: ", . .sweet, fruity, tangy, smoky flavor profile with notes of berries and tea. They have a mild heat,. . ." Although my taste receptors aren't as fine tuned (lol), It WAS different. . . I could identify the sweet/tangy with mild heat part. I ordered them because they were recommentded for flavorful chili. I'd be happy to send you some of the seeds. Pretty sure I have. your address. :)

This is funny, from me, the one who isn't crazy about greens. I have a zillion packets of greens! Hilarious! Kale, chard spinach, butter crunch lettuce, leaf lettuce, romaine, iceberg, arugula, you name it, I've got it. I think I' will just plant a whole big bunch of them on the grow cart. Further, when I can plant in March, I'll dedicate one of the 4x12' beds at Lincoln to the same mixes.

HJ, we bought a new washer a little over a year ago. I did NOT want bells and whistles. Wanted bare bones buttons. We got the lowest end Whirlpool, which is identical to some of the other brand names low-ends. I think it cost about $500. I absolutely LOVE it!!! I hope you like the not so fancy one you bought, too.

We have more cash on hand this year, because our gardens are established. And so now, just mostly need some raised garden soil (not much) and maybe store-bought compost if we don't have enough. I've spent about $60 in seeds for this next year (for Lincoln and us) and all are veggies or herbs. I expect we'll probably spend another $100 on soils for here and maybe $100-$200 for Lincoln, depending on how much compost we have there. (We had an enormous pile of grass, leaves, and wood chips there. I'll be anxious to see how far we can spread it. Suzanne called a few days ago and wanted to discuss what we'll be planting there. I said we should discuss which veggies, but probably few to NO flowers. She was flabbergasted (she's from the city--didn't have any idea) when I told her that everything she saw out there last summer should be back this next year, only thicker and more plush. John (and I) were in trouble with her last year because he went all in on the beds, and although I didn't encourage him, I agreed with his vision. . .And so $$$$$$ on decorative bricks, cinder blocks, many bags of cheap gardening soil and many bags of top quality compost. We saved money by using old firewood, alfalfa hay, free wood chips, leaves and grass. But still--with that much area, it was expensive. Suzanne was tearing her hair out. And so now when I told her we didn't HAVE to spend more than $100-$200, she was incredulous.

Our first 3 years here, I spent a fortune. $500-$800-$1000 a year the first couple years. Last year, mostly $$ in native plants. This year, only money required is spare change. Love it.

• OklaMoni

depending on where you live, and your comfort level... just go out and pee. :) Anywhere. Everywhere.

But really, I shouldn't have told you.

LOL

Moni

• Nancy Waggoner

HU--re urine! YES, absolutely yes. GDW and I saved our urine in large Folgers coffee containers one year, couple years ago. Then put it through the Miracle grow dispenser hooked up to the hose. Worked great and it certainly worked. We kind of eased off it because of the hassle. BUT. Now that you mention it, we might do it again this year, only not so technical and fancy. I DO think it's best if it's diluted. And frankly, I don't think this is a joke. Urine is an amazingly terrific nitrogen fertilizer.

• jlhart76

Interesting, HU. Now find me a way to compost dog poop. With all these dogs, I have too much! On a similar topic...someone posted this article about how Washington now allows human composting. Only by licensed funeral homes, but still. The pragmatist in me says that's one way to always be part of your garden. And I can't help laughing at the irony that the movie Soylent Green was set in 2022.

I set up my seed shelf (one of those portable mini greenhouses) in the garage and started some micro tomatoes, eucalyptus and yarrow. I'm intrigued by the idea of growing tomatoes over winter so I thought I'd experiment. The eucalyptus seeds are some I got a few years back so if they don't sprout I'm not worried.

I've mostly gone through & organized my seeds. Everything I want to plant is divided into baggies for inside, wintersowing, or direct sowing by when I can start planting. Still need to pick peppers, eggplant, & the direct sow vegetables. This weekend I'm going to get some of my wintersown ones done & finish making plant tags. I always struggle with making them as I go along & fall for the biggest lie (no need to label , I'll remember what I planted). Sure you will, Jen. That's why hou have so many unidentified plants.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b

Black soldier fly larva will eat animal manure. and meat and human manure. They're supposed to be good chicken food. I'm not sure I could feed them to chickens after a heavy diet of dog poop, but maybe further research is in order. When I researched several years ago, there were only homemade composters. Now you can buy them, but they're pricey.

Apparently Native Americans used urine. But we can't because we take too many medications and I don't believe it is recommended if you take prescriptions.

My daughter says she's going to plant a tree above me when I die.

My guajillo peppers never germinated. But I have reached the point where mild heat is too much, so, just as well I guess. Ron would probably love them and want to use them all the time.

I laughed at champagne washers. Our first appliances were harvest gold. Do you know how tired you get of colored appliances? Then I tried the off white/ivory. It was only "in" for a brief time, so next thing we bought wasn't available in that color, so nothing ever matched. After that I said white. Just white. Even that's been a pain, because stainless steel is in now, and white is harder to find.

Larry, the winter of 2015/16 was very mild. All my kale survived just fine. The next year I decided I would plant the bed that could be seen from the street in red and purple plants. Red kale, red lettuce, purple tatsoi, red orach. It was beautiful. And then the temps dropped to single digits. The only thing that survived was the red kale. I am partial to red lettuce.

Going to put a coat on and take the grandsons outside to play.

• dbarron

Well, as promised the first of the hybrid hellebores are open. Here's a single (the most open one)...not as great a photo as it could be..hard to take in dark days down near the ground.

• hazelinok

Nancy, our washer might be the same model as yours. It was the cheapest Whirlpool they had. It was $499. It is even less fancy than the one we purchased 10 years ago....and that one wasn't top-of-the line or anything like that. With this one, it is hard to get used to no time count-down. I don't know how many minutes are left and that isn't a huge deal, but something I had gotten used to. And you just put your soap in the tub of the washer. Our last one had a dispenser (similar to the bleach dispenser). I don't mind putting it in the basin, but I wish it would let me fill it up with water before adding the clothing. But, so far so good with it.

I will admit the champagne set is very pretty. It's very mild colored and lovely. But, when I do upgrade (hopefully not for a long time), I'll just get white. Even our "stainless steel" kitchen appliances that are supposed to be smudge proof, still get smudged.

We did our grocery shopping this morning. Geez! All of you who are doing grocery "pick up", well, they're not picking up the items from storage...they're going through the stores with these big cart things with large tubs on them. There's multiple ones always in the way...blocking the aisles and shelves. They are doing a good job picking out your items. They carefully inspect each item before putting it in your tub. Those of us standing around waiting just have to be very patient. LOL

I might have to start shopping at Crest, though. haha. We start at Natural Grocer, go to Sprouts and then finish at Walmart. We might start finishing at Crest.

Nancy, I would be happy to take a few guajillo seeds. You know what's funny, until I made the posole I had never heard of that pepper. It's an interesting dish for sure. Instead of tomatoes, you make a pepper sauce/paste (for those of you who are unfamiliar with the dish).

Very interesting about the pee/poop thing. The boys like to pee outside, so I guess I'll just direct them to the garden. And, Amy, that's good to know about medications.

I'm dumping the chicken droppings behind the shop, but will probably stop in February so it can break down a bit before I put the roselle and melons there.

If I ever get a grandchild, I'll have an excuse to get bunnies to be "their" pets...and that will be great for fertilizing. Maybe a pony too! (I'm joking...no one lecture me, please haha)

Danny, how exciting! Pretty!

Jen, I still have seed cups and trays if you're interested. Our plan is to clean and organize the shop on Monday, so I can get them to you once I find them all. I'm not sure how I ended up with so many. Maybe HU brought plants over in them.

Amy, you have a lot of experience with lettuce and greens. Have you found that red lettuces do better in cold weather? It seems so...at least in my hinged hoop right now. This is the first year I've been able to overwinter lettuce and the reds are looking the best. The reds and the blushing ones.

• jlhart76

HJ, you know I'm always interested in containers! Let me know if you want me to come get them, or you're bringing them here.

Washers and dryers...The set I had in Tulsa I got as a housewarming gift from my co workers in 2001, & they were about 20 years old by then. We left them when we moved, so one of the irst things we did when we moved is buy another set. Used from a repair shop, so they're at least a decade old. I don't care for all the bells and whistles, just give me a set that cleans & dries.

I caved and set up the seed shelf, then planted a bunch of the stuff I'd had chilling since thanksgiving. Might be too early but oh well. Live and learn, right? And all the wintersow packets are organized, labels made, and I plan to start Monday since I'm off. I also got a lot of dwarf and micro tomatoes in a swap and I'm intrigued by the idea of tomatoes in 1 gallon pots. So I'm experimenting to see if I can actually grow them over winter.