Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wintercat_gw

Rose ID please, just fallen in love

wintercat_gw
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Dark green serrated leaves, not leathery which I don't like. Scent neither overwhelmingly strong nor weak. Trying to post pics as comments after failing several times.

Comments (28)

• wintercat_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

bloom

• wintercat_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

entire shrub

• wintercat_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

zone 9/10, unseasonally HOT

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Try this on the Garden Web rose identification forum if you haven't yet.

wintercat_gw thanked Embothrium
  • Rosecestlavie
    3 years ago

Not sure if it's Climbing Hermosa, but they look similar. Check it out, at the very least Hermosa could be another rose for you to fall for! I love it.

wintercat_gw thanked Rosecestlavie
  • wintercat_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My mystery rose is not a climber but a shrub.

Hermosa is lovely indeed. Thank you for referring to it.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    3 years ago

Paul neyron maybe ?

wintercat_gw thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Brother Cadfael? Diane

wintercat_gw thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
    3 years ago

Maybe leave a note, with a self-addressed stamped envelope?

It's a real stunner - I'm curious now too!

wintercat_gw thanked Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

I was also going to say Setina aka Cl. Hermosa. Is it fragrant? How would you describe the thorns and leaves Pictures of those would be useful. Setina is a climber, but I have both it and Hermosa and find them similar. I love this rose. Lilyfinch has seen it growing near her in CA. I second the suggestion to just ask and love the idea of a SASE. : ))

wintercat_gw thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Embothrium
    3 years ago

My mystery rose is not a climber but a shrub

I wouldn't be inclined to make so certain a declaration about this one, it looks like it is already on its way to producing a climbing effect - with additional support it might get quite a bit taller and additionally billowing.

wintercat_gw thanked Embothrium
  • wintercat_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all so much!

It's Louise Odier. You nailed it Flowersaremusic.

I'm in Israel and the other varieties suggested aren"t available commercially here. Choice is way more limited than in the US.

Need2SeeGreen, this shrub grows on the edge of an apparently uninhabited property, thriving on neglect :)

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    3 years ago

Wintercat, I just planted my rooted cutting of Louise Odier last fall, so I'm thrilled to know what to look forward to. I don't have the rose growing climate of Israel, but I'm hoping for the best. I'm glad you could narrow it down to a name.

wintercat_gw thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • wintercat_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Actually the Israeli climate, except in the mountains, is not so good for roses. Once summer gets into high gear here on the inner coastal plain, roses go into a coma in the turkish bath. Hardy ones like Iceberg still bloom but produce smaller, sickly flowers.

HMF site says Louise Odier does not do well in warmer climates and is prone to blackspot, so I think it'll do great in your zone 5.

It has been a warm winter here so far, which may account for Louise's great looks at the moment. Iceberg of course is blooming its head off. The occasional warm winter here is good for roses, but this is a land of summer. Too much summer.

3 years ago

Wintercat ... if no one lives there ... gosh, I wouldn't want to get you in trouble, but ... there must be some sort of a rule about this situation.

But, I'd still try leaving a note first, just in case.

• wintercat_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Need2SeeGreen, what kind of trouble exactly you have in mind? This is one of the highest crime rates city in this country and I've been living here for 15 years. Time for me to fit in. Please specify. I'm game :)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    3 years ago

Well you could take cuttings or if the property is abandoned for sure, maybe transplant 😎lol here we call it rose rustling . Under the guise of “preservation “ lol but I bet others enjoy seeing the rose so I would just do cuttings

wintercat_gw thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

Wintetcat, you crack me up.

When it comes to rose rustling, I am always game too

I sure hope that you can get many starts on the Beautiful Louise Odier

What city do you live in ?

wintercat_gw thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • wintercat_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Cuttings sound great. As for rustling (I just love this word) , the shrub is very well established, so rustling will take quite a while, and I'd rather not risk a confrontation with neighbours.

In a couple months I can order some grafted plants, which I prefer to own root. I had bad results with own root Iceberg, whreas the grafted ones thrived, and Iceberg is a kind of benchmark for me.

3 years ago

You learn something new every day. That's a great term - "rose rustling." Only as a last resort of course.

Wintercat, I was wondering, how is it being watered? Maybe a neighbor has already "adopted" it? Forgive my ignorance but I had thought that part of the world had more of an arid climate? Anyhow, maybe it is a way to make new friends in the neighborhood? It is really a gorgeous, inspiring plant.

• wintercat_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It is arid here (she wrote to the sound of pouring rain because winter is back). I've been wondering too how this rose survived at least a couple of sizzling summers. Half its roots are beneath a paved passageway and the soil here preserves moisture very well, but preserved moisture from winter wouldn't last all through such long summers. Perhaps there's a leak from a water or sewage pipe.

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    3 years ago

Didn't Lisa's Louise Odier flourish in Californian dry heat, exceptionally well? I could be misremembering of course, and IIRC there was some question of whether or not it really was LO, or someone else....

wintercat_gw thanked comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
  • rosecanadian
    3 years ago

My goodness!!!! Beyond beautiful!!!

wintercat_gw thanked rosecanadian
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

I think Lisa's was something else, Comtesse.

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    3 years ago

Ah, thanks Sheila. I remembered a long discussion but never found out what the conclusion/ consensus was on the ID...

• hugogurll
    3 years ago

Paul Neyron

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    3 years ago

I thought Lisa's was Grandmother's Hat.

I remember a VERY long thread about it a couple years ago haha