lobo_93

Pillows for this sofa and frames for these paints

lobo_93

Two years ago, I posted here for the first time, and I have got lots of good advice for this Family Room. Since then the floorplan has changed a bit, and we have a larger TV with a standing easel. I would like your advice again this time for updating it, considering that I am selling in 6 months. I was advised to change (1) the pillows and (2) the art for a more updated and cohesive look.

Q1/ Which pillows would you use on the sofa and chairs? (current chairs or replace).

Q2/ Which frames would you use? We love these 4 pieces of art, I thought about: (a) New frames for the oils? (b) Use the golden frames with new passe-partout for the posters?, (c) Which walls to use for art and which to leave blank?

My "houzz" · More Info

My "houzz" · More Info

Project 2 FamilyRoom Gallery · More Info

BeverlyFLADeziner

You only show us a sliver of the room with an arm of the sofa. Not really enough to advise you on pillows.

If you plan to keep your art and use it in your next home I would advise you consider a linen liner to add to the art before you frame it.

This below happens to be a mat, but a wrapped linen liner would help the over all appearance of the art.

Here is a source

https://www.usaoncanvas.com/include/picture_framing_mouldings_liners.php

lobo_93 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • tsjmjh

I would add some soft sheers or linen drapes on the windows and move the desk out of the room if possible. As Beverly asked, what does the whole room look like? I would also suggest a rug with a bit more color, if you can do that inexpensively. Again, I'm basing that on being able to see only a corner of the current one.

Reframing is not cheap; do it for yourself and not for resale staging. We're going to hopefully get this house on the market this summer (shots in the arms, cross your fingers, soon) and we will be taking down quite a bit of our art, both on the walls and on display in other ways. We think it's fabulous but we want people to look at the house, not the art gallery.

lobo_93 thanked tsjmjh

Need ideas for picture behind sofa and sofa pillows

Pretty wall color. Good choice. Yes, you need some color and texture! Are there other windows in the room besides the one pictured? If there's just the one, I would replace the curtains with some simple white or cream colored silhouette blinds. I say this because it seems like an odd place for one window, so I wouldn't draw the eye to it too much. I would replace the carpet and get something with color/pattern. I am drawn to some of the more modern patterns on westelm.com, but potterybarn.com has some traditional patterns that would be pretty too. I would pick an accent color that you like and try to carry that into the rug and pillows, but also include contrasting colors and some white here and there. Here are some room examples: I would also change out the cover on the fireplace with a more modern one. Have fun!

What color pillows to put on couch? Also should I paint the room?

Sunnydrew is correct that sometimes toss pillows will slid down on leather furniture, but it really depends on the angle where the back and seat meet. If that angle is very rounded then you will have that issue. We use them all the time without any problem. Here are some examples of where we used them in our clients homes with no complaints.

What color of pillows to dress green couches?

You have many large windows provide plenty of light for the living room, you should use the Roller blinds to stop scrolling down light but still look airy for garden view. Inside the curtain fabric the color display suitable with room. Do not too many patterns, Designing and finishing blinds to minimize glare and UV rays from sunshine, to save energy but still keeping high aesthetics. Material is roller blinds : Super Solar Screening + Phifer Super Solar Screening + is a specially woven vinyl-coated fiberglass fabric that offers the ultimate in shading protection by blocking up to 90% of the sun’s heat. Super Solar Screening + helps keep carpets and draperies from fading while allowing excellent outward visibility.

Should I paint the frame of this wood couch and if so what color?

Great find! Paint the wood trim cream and consider upholstering your burgundy chair in a black and cream fabric, then add a throw or a pillow to the sofa that has a cream and turquoise pattern. Cream for your mantel and perhaps consider painting the trim on your turquoise cabinet cream. The small lamp could use a black lamp shade. Love your eclectic taste and creativity!
  • ital mover

I suggest rustic, barnwood frames. Take your cue from the wood of your mantle, and floors, and do a natural, raw wood.

Barnwood Picture Frames, Medium Width 2.75" Lighthouse Series, 5"x7" · More Info

Barn Wood Picture Frame, Lighthouse Whitewash, 20"x24" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/barnwood-picture-frames-medium-width-2-75-lighthouse-series-5x7-prvw-vr~151493053

For the pillows, get ones with texture, and pick up the colors in the art work

Surya Kikuyu Kik-003 Bohemian, Global Woven Pillow, Square 18"x18" Cover Only · More Info

lobo_93 thanked ital mover
  • maifleur03

Forget rustic as it clashes with the rest of what you have posted.

I would reframe with the mat that is on the right hand corner if you can find it. The yellow/candlelight matting carries through from the other room and works with the brown of the sofa.

The drawing does not appear to show your yellow room so is it another house or the upper floor.

lobo_93 thanked maifleur03
  • lobo_93

Sorry all, I corrected the photo links 😉. Features: floor-to-ceiling fireplace, 2 large windows, opens to kitchen with sliding door to backyard. Function: Family room + Home office (NW corner) we would like to keep that combo for now (and show it as a possibility for a future buyer as well). ART: Yes, I plan to keep the art, so I am willing to spend on new frames.

@BeverlyFLADeziner you said “consider a linen liner” Thank you for the pictures, it really helps.

@ital moveryou said “rustic, barnwood frames”: Thank you for noticing the wood from the mantle, we remodeled the fireplace 2 years ago and I really liked that piece. And I have added that pillow to my wish list for later.

@maifleur03 you said “reframe with the mat that is on the right-hand corner” (…) “The yellow/candlelight matting carries through from the other room”. Good point I will consider it. The “yellow room” is my LR, the same house, and on the same first floor.

@tsjmjh I wish you all the best with your resale as well! I added woven shades last year, so those will stay now, but I am open to the idea of changing the rug what do you suggest? For resale staging and for myself for these 6 months, I would like to display these 4 art pieces, and not much else (I have been decluttering 😉); any suggestions on placement?

• ital mover

I'm going to stick with my suggestion of rustic barnwood because of the mantle, the floors, the leather sofa and the rattan lounge chair. I would replace the chair you are using for a desk chair. If I can come up with a suggestion I will post a photo.

I would put a lot more plants where you now have just one and hang artworks over them. I would take the other artworks and hang them near the desk. Since you haven't included a picture of the fireplace really, hard to know what any artwork there might look like.

I would move the lounge chair a bit closer to the fireplace, further from the desk. How about a wide runner to define the space for the desk area? If I find a photo I'll post it. Something simple Or something bold! It is hard to me to see the hues and pattern in the big carpet.

lobo_93 thanked ital mover
  • ital mover

Desk chair

Wishbone Y Chair, Light Walnut and Natural Cord · More Info

possible runners, cool or warm

Elias Faceted Geometric Grey and Blue Area Rug, 1'10"x7'6" · More Info

Surya Forum FM-7220 Area Rug, Mustard/Beige, 2'6" x 8' Runner · More Info

Floor lamp for between desk and lounge chair

Rexford 2-Light Floor Lamp, Vintage Bronze and Matte Black · More Info

And this pillow for the chair closest to the fireplace

GDF Studio Cierra Handcrafted Boho Fabric Pillow, Single · More Info

I would pick a large-ish square end table for the sofa in a wood like the mantle

lobo_93 thanked ital mover
  • ital mover

I meant to add i might choose one long runner in a solid color taken from the art works or the other rug to put on the desk side of the room

lobo_93 thanked ital mover
  • maifleur03

Just a side comment about the plants. Plants both grow, stop blooming or die. Since you are not planning on selling for a while you may not want to purchase plants now unless you are good at keeping the same size they are now and healthy. Waiting until selling unless you just want some greenery might save you money that you could use for other things. Looking for pots that you can simply change out the plant for a fresh one is something that you can do now.

lobo_93 thanked maifleur03
  • ital mover

I think you definitely need to move the plant that is next to the fireplace away from the fireplace because it makes me worry for the poor plant! You might also try angling the chair so that it is closer to the fireplace, almost facing the sofa at an angle, and then pull the sofa back if the ottoman is sticking so far toward it creates an obstacle course.

I don't think the black garden stool with a plant on it works very well as an end table. In general, I would put plants by the window, and I would also invest in snake plants and vines, which I think will look nicer.

In general you began by showing us some very very colorful paintings, yet much of the existing decor is very neutral. My instinct is to bring in more colorful fabrics -- like I would look to see if I could replace the rattan lounge chair and ottoman cushions with something more eye popping, but maybe I would replace the rug with a very textured natural fiber rug.

Surya Jute Woven JS2 Brown Natural Fiber and Texture Area Rug, 8'x10'6" · More Info

And I would go for an end table for the sofa that has wood.

Silvestra Vintage Industrial Modern Rustic End Table, Oak · More Info

Here's a couple more pillows that appeal to me. I'm trying not to suggest things that are too Southwest, but sometimes those colors seem to work best for me (maybe not you!)

Loloi Cotton Pillow Cover, Multi, 18 x18 · More Info

Loloi Wool Pillow Cover, Multicolor, 22 x22 · More Info

Loloi Cotton Pillow Cover, Orange and Multi, 18 x18 · More Info

lobo_93 thanked ital mover
  • ital mover

Now that I see the whole layout of the room, have you ever considered putting the sofa on an angle directly facing the TV on the easel? I would get rid of the chair next to the easel (or use it for the desk chair). And if I moved the sofa that way, I would put the desk directly in front of the window if there was room.

I also wanted to show you this in case you were interested in putting a console table behind the sofa if you keep the current layout. Even if you tried my idea, if there was room for this console behind the sofa then you could have a very functional workspace in that room.

ACME Gorden Console Table in Weathered Oak and Antique Silver · More Info

lobo_93 thanked ital mover
  • lobo_93

LAYOUT. @ital mover said “sofa on an angle directly facing the TV”: yes, actually is the layout that I had, but the idea was to showcase the fireplace with the sofa parallel to it and to change the pillows and the art. Therefore, I moved the sofa and I posted for advice on pillows and re-framing the art (because I want to keep them ;)

STAGING. The goal is to get every room “photo ready”, limiting new buys to a few accessories (pillows, floor lamps).

COLORS. @ital mover said “some very very colorful paintings, yet much of the existing decor is very neutral.” You are right; have you seen my living room? (posted 2 weeks ago, thanks for your help Houzzers):

My "houzz" · More Info

• maifleur03

Neutral vs. Wow. In this area the Wow is used more to hide defects so that people look at the décor rather than at the actual property until you reach million plus properties. Spots of wow can work with the first time home buyer but can be a turnoff for others.

The more you mention what your stager has suggested makes me wonder at the actual experience or if they have ever returned to a property where the owner followed all of that stagers suggestions.

lobo_93 thanked maifleur03
  • ital mover

Oka. I get it now and I like your living Room. By the way, i tjink you should frame your art as inexpensively as possible if you are taking it with you, because you might want to go in a different direction in your next house.

You should listen to your stager!

lobo_93 thanked ital mover
  • lobo_93

I had my house staged prior to selling it, 7 years ago, and when it was finished, I wished I had done it months before. This time, I went ahead with consulting a stager, except the experience was not the same: it is a different town, a different time, different person (online, remotely). Of course, I followed her general guidelines, but they are not immutable, plus the details are up to me. So, I posted here, and so far, I am very grateful for all your comments. Cheers!

• lobo_93

This layout has the sofa parallel to the fireplace and with its back in line with the entry hallway. The rug is 8x10, placed with the longer side parallel to the fireplace as well. The focal point is the fireplace, with only 3 pieces (1 sofa + 2 chairs). This layout frees the hallway, the corner office, and the path to the credenza, but does it show well?

<Edited: I was not able to upload the individual photos onto the original posting. I had to merge and upload to my ideabook first: here is the floorplan with furniture measurements>

My "houzz" · More Info

• lobo_93

@ital mover said "replace the rattan lounge chair and ottoman cushions with something more eye-popping": definitely, thank you for your suggestions with color and texture. Also, for me (not for the photoshoot) it makes more sense to place back the sofa facing the TV, thanks.

• Jeanne J

Do you have a picture of your initial layout? Or if it isn’t too much work could you rearrange the furniture and send us a picture? Did the room feel bigger with the initial layout? If you want to showcase the newly done fireplace it would be more visible.

lobo_93 thanked Jeanne J
  • lobo_93

Hi @Jeanne J, yes, I have a photo with sofa towards easel with TV: (left) current rug; (right) visualizing another rug (blue & yellow Gosamer 8x10) with a rugs.com app. That rug sold out, so that got me back in focus: keeping my rug and“changing pillows, reframing art”. With the current rug, then I think I could pick up on the 3 stripes as accent colors (blue, orange, yellow). Maybe not too much yellow, ha, ha. So pillows first ;)

Tan sofa: I have (2) 16x16 blue & white; Q/ more? larger?

Dark brown wicker chair (1) 23x23 seat with rounded back + dark brown ottoman (1) 23x19 rectangular seat; Q/ replace the tan with something blue like this inspo fabrics? Please help me finding cushions like that?

Honey rattan chair I have (2) 18x18 tan with earth colors pattern, but I will be using those 2 for the terracotta loveseat in the LR instead. Q/ no tan/ brown here? Looking at this one sent by @ital mover, I love the cream, orange and green … something similar without the tan/ brown in it?

• ital mover

Maybe this would be nice on your rattan lounge chair, and then you wouldn’t need to find new chair cushions

Lazy Snail, Beige Cotton Linen Pillow Covers 16"x16" · More Info

and tou could put a throw over the arm of the chair to both wam it up and liven it up

lobo_93 thanked ital mover
  • ital mover

Throws for you lounge chair depending on what chair cushions you have and what art work you hanf

Kantha Silk Throw Quilt Blanket, 60"x90" · More Info

Suzy Throw, Chocolate · More Info

I thought your zebra needed some company

lobo_93 thanked ital mover
  • Jeanne J

Hi Lobo, I am not a pro - hopefully some will chime in. It is my impression that the room looks bigger and functions better with the old layout ( couch facing TV) but it can be hard to tell from pictures. What do you think?

lobo_93 thanked Jeanne J
  • lobo_93

@Jeanne J Yes moving furniture this weekend. Likewise, replacing pillow covers is much more practical than looking for a new rug, or furniture; so, we’ll do pillows.

@ital mover I am warming up to the “snail” pillow; it would have never occurred to me to look for beige linen with beads. I thought I was set on blues, but I see this could play well with the idea of neutrals, but not boring AND right with the seascapes but not the overused sea creatures. Also, I have the zebra throw 😊

I have narrowed down the pillow options to these below; what do you think? (note: for the honey chair, I am thinking a set of 2).

Staging Wish List · More Info

• everdebz

Fp seems beautiful but birds are severe looking - an abstract canvas resting on the mantel next to items instead? Or spray them a medium tone of pewter/ brown..

lobo_93 thanked everdebz
  • ital mover

Hi, I like your choices. I thought I’d add one more to the mix for the honey chair, thinking maybe ties in with your fireplace and existing rug.

Loloi P0875 Decorative Throw Pillow, Gray, 22", No Fill · More Info

Thought you might be interested in these

Cyan Arroyo Vase 10666, Brown, Bronze, Rust · More Info

Cyan Arroyo Vase 10667, Brown, Bronze, Rust · More Info

lobo_93 thanked ital mover
  • Jennifer Hogan

Having your art professionally framed with the appropriate frame and mat can make a world of difference/

lobo_93 thanked Jennifer Hogan
    THE FURNITURE & ART CONCIERGE

Are the canvasses finished on the sides? If they are, consider a floating frame with some width to the facade and for the paper pieces, especially if the sides are interesting, consider mounting them on a backing and floating them as well, maybe with 3 or 4 inches on the top and sides and 6 or 8 inches on the bottom for effect.

lobo_93 thanked THE FURNITURE & ART CONCIERGE
  • lobo_93

An update on pillow shopping: I am getting the snail one for the dark brown lounge chair, but the other ones I selected do not come on the sizes I need:

-Tan sofa (blues in 16x16): This Surya is 18x18 and is sold out, and this one with branches and poms is 20x20, too large -something else please?

-Honey rattan chair (creams in 18x18): decided against this one with tassel trim; this striped Safavieh is 20x20 and the new Loloi P0875 Gray is 22x22, both are too large, we'll need 18" -something else please?

• ital mover

Studio Seven Laurena Pillow · More Info

lobo_93 thanked ital mover
  • ital mover

Charade Pillow Cover 18x18x0.25 · More Info

lobo_93 thanked ital mover
  • ital mover

Pillow Perfect Triangle Grid Throw Pillow, Citrus Gray 16.5" · More Info

Surya Nairobi 18 x18 Medium Square Pillow · More Info

lobo_93 thanked ital mover
  • ital mover

Pillow Perfect Tribal Throw Pillow, Cream Gray, 16.5", Navy/White · More Info

lobo_93 thanked ital mover
  • ital mover

Surya Gada Square Pillow Cover GAD001-1818 · More Info

lobo_93 thanked ital mover
  • ital mover

18" Sqaure Cotton Pillow with Abstract Embroidery Cream Color · More Info

lobo_93 thanked ital mover
  • lobo_93

@ital mover thank you so much! I think these 4:

Alternative from CB2:

• ital mover

Striped and Tufted Multicolored Throw Pillow · More Info

Kandinsky “Synaesthesia” Cream Pillow Cover Wool Handembroidered Wool 18x18" · More Info

Anton Pillow - Cream, Navy, Dark Brown, Taupe, White, Medium Gray, Down Feather · More Info

lobo_93 thanked ital mover

Don’t spend one cent on any of the suggestions. Work with what you have, Pillows and frames are not going to sell your home. Rearrange a few things, make sure the house is spic and span and wash the windows.

Over console: ( your photo shows is it not centered on the wall), add a tall lamp, and choose a couple pictures and lean them against the wall. Hang the one with the rope looking frame over the mantel.

Remove the white round rug. and try layering it over the rug in front of the sofa. Try the round coffee table on it.

Position the small accent chair on the rug, and the front legs of ottoman on the rug.

The two pillows on the sofa, put them together and place a throw for the other corner.

lobo_93 thanked JudyG Designs
  • ital mover

I just saw this and if you haven't ordered maybe you're interested

Distressed Indigo Pillow · More Info

lobo_93 thanked ital mover
  • lobo_93

@ital mover Yes, the good news: I placed the order; the bad news: delivery by mid-March.

@BeverlyFLADeziner I am warming up to the idea of linen for the posters, to carry out the feeling of texture, and cutting the overload of browns? (floor, credenza, sofa, and chairs?).

• lobo_93

Some pillows are back in stock, and will be delivered this week ;) Meanwhile, I would get the 2 posters framed. And onto the next room, ha, ha.

• lobo_93

Update: the pillows are here, except for one, and the framed posters will be here next week. I will post pictures soon, and follow with... main bedroom?

Edited: FR photos below; THANK YOU ALL ;)

My "houzz" · More Info

• lobo_93

The posters are here (and I have moved the large oil paintings to the MBR); what do you think?

My "houzz" · More Info

@ARTCONCIERGE @BeverlyFLADeziner @everdebz @italmover @Jeanne J @Jennifer Hogan @JudyGDesigns @maifleur03 We mounted the posters and postcards with the same textured frame, and with only 2 mats (matte white for the large posters, and cream for the small postcards). It seems more unified and neutral while keeping the posters we like. And the one dark blue pillow with bird has better pillow company now. The plants will have to wait ;) From the point of view of someone browsing “real estate pictures”, would you change anything?

• Jennifer Hogan

I think you nailed it!

lobo_93 thanked Jennifer Hogan