Software
Houzz Logo Print
normawaterbug

Need help with kitchen layout

5 years ago

Hello. We've worked with an architect to come up with plans for renovating our kitchen/dining/living area, and adding on an addition. I'm happy with most aspects, but am feeling uneasy about a couple things. I'd welcome some input on the following:


- I've worked in a somewhat cramped u-shaped layout for 10 years, and like having just 2 steps between stove, sink, and fridge:



The new layout will take down the wall between the kitchen and living room, open up views to the deck and backyard, and add an island for some storage and a gathering place:




However, I can't seem to get over the niggling feeling that a couple parts of this design aren't so good.


- The refrigerator is 10-12 feet from the stove and sink. I know that's outside the 6' range for the traditional work triangle, and although it sounds like there are new ways of looking at this, I wonder if I'm going to hate this. Has anyone hated or not minded a layout like this?

I don't think I want a cooktop or sink in the island. The only other placement I can think of would be to put the refrigerator to the left of the counter and sink, protruding into the area labeled "window seat", but I wonder if that would look right because there will be a beam dividing those spaces visually.

- I feel the views to the back are being cut off by the refrigerator and pantry. One design had the dining room table in that corner (to the right of the French doors), and I liked it, but the island was turned the other way, meaning people sitting at it wouldn't be looking out the back. However, maybe that's the better option. The dining room table, with window seat on one end, could be under a window looking out on to the deck, and perhaps the work area and refrigerator could be side-by-side in the area currently labeled window seat.


Below is a SketchUp image of an slightly older version of the above:


I'd welcome any input/suggestions.


Thank you!


Norma


Comments (4)

  • 5 years ago

    Do you need double french doors outside?

    Can you move plumbing?

    The fridge isn't blocking your views because it's behind the pantry anyway.

    If this were my kitchen, I'd move the sink to the back wall, put the range on the side wall, change the double doors to a single, eliminate upper cabs, and have that back wall be a wall of windows with extra counter (dishwasher) where the door used to be. Unless your views are fabulous below the waist, the upper wall of windows will be more than enough to capture views, and provide more of them since IMO more width horizontally is better than more height (especially low).

    The location of your fridge and pantry are fine - although they definitely work better if the sink gets moved to the back wall. That layout that you have is my curren kitchen layout and I think it works well.

    Consider changing your desk to a coffee bar/drink station with a microwave unless you specifically asked for a desk. Most of those are getting removed from kitchens these days.

    normawaterbug thanked anj_p
  • 5 years ago

    I don't need the double doors, so maybe your idea about more higher horizontal window space is better. The below-the-waist view is just of the seating on the deck.

    To clarify, I hadn't asked for a pantry, so my thought was to try to move the fridge and eliminate the pantry. But maybe your solution is better.

  • 5 years ago

    On the wall with the pantry, I'd use a tall cupboard pantry next to the outside door, then the refrigerator, and then another tall cupboard pantry. That eliminates a big door swinging into the room, and puts the refrigerator closer to the sink. Is that your only family room? If so, I'd eliminate the stools at the island, and move the dining table to the family room. That leaves the largest area between the kitchen and dining for your family room furniture.

    normawaterbug thanked calidesign
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Moving a single door as far left as possible would give you the option to put the fridge and range on the same wall. If you need a desk area, it could go under the window on the left wall.



    We'd need measurements of all walls and windows to make sure everything fits.

    normawaterbug thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH