Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ldrosen22

Quartz countertops feel 'dusty' all the time

yellowbird
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

This is more cleaning advice vs design. We installed MSI quartz calacutta clara countertops. They look great. An odd hiccup is that they always feel dusty. If I clean them / wipe them down they look and feel just fine. The next day they feel dusty again. This to me is akin to asking for advice for how to keep your stainless steel appliances looking good - I found cleaning wipes for the stainless and now the appliances look good for awhile.

Did anyone encounter this 'dusty' feeling? I'd blame it on not cleaning often enough, but I'd like to think I could skip a day. We don't live in an especially dusty location (Northeast) and this happens even in winter with the windows closed. Is there a cleaning product (like the stainless wipes) that keep quartz countertops 'clean' longer?

Comments (15)

• PRO
  • yellowbird
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for these tips - I'll try them out.

Joseph - just a clarification point. The Toner is written up as a sealant. I didn't think I needed to seal the quartz: is the 'dusty' feeling really a sealant issue or does the toner treat the quartz so it 'repels' dust (like the wipes repel fingerprints for a few days).

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

I've had good luck with the Tenax.

• yellowbird
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you - I'll try these solutions out - I appreciate the advice : )

• M H
    3 years ago

Mine does the same thing. I thought it was the cheap paper towels we are using since Bounty seems to be out of stock everywhere. I've started "dusting" them with a microfiber cloth before vacuuming or running the Roomba.

• N
    2 years ago

Any updates or solutions? I cleaned my new quartz counters and they feel clean and smooth. I even covered them with a sheet overnight in case there was dust floating in my air. The next morning I took that sheet off and they had what felt like a light coat of dust on them. I don’t know what is causing this. But it is driving me crazy!

• Laurie Hofmann
    last year

ME TOO. Brand new house. Beautiful quartz countertops. I'm a real neat freak so I am always wiping them clean with just water at times, and still they feel dusty just a short time later.

• yellowbird
    Original Author
    last year

No significant luck. I did find a stone cleaner and the counters felt clean and smooth for a day or so, but I keep expecting it to last a bit longer. I think I’ll call MSI or a dealer and ask them.

• Norma Schick
    last year

Oh my goodness! It’s not just me then! Same issue here! After I wipe I can see a dusty residual on my white cloth! Did anyone find a solution? I will try the rubbing alcohol

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Norma:

Please read all the posts in a thread. Rubbing alcohol isn't going to do much if anything. Tenax Quartz Toner please.

• Norma Schick
    last year

Thankyou Joseph. going to source it now!

• sylvermoon
    10 months ago

Would Tenax Quartz Toner work on getting ghosts off my Daltile matt grey countertops? Nothing seems to work.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 months ago

IMO any type od stainless polish is oil based yes it looks pretty but collects dust kind of like window cleaner they really want you to buy more . I use a micro fiber cloth with hot water a a bit of vinegar I have a ton of stainless in my kitchen even some cabinets it takes 5 minutes to wipe down they stay nice looking for a few days. Is your counter honed quartz or a matte finish >

• HU-940391837
    4 months ago

The light dust on quartz countertops that is easy to clean but comes back the next day may be caused by either the contents or propellant in spray cans. We took the hair spray out of the bathroom and no more dust.