Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_684371897

What’s your favorite paint color?

5 years ago

I have a 11’ by 12’ spare room with a 4’by4’ east facing window that will have my exercise bike and will be the room my dog is contained in during the day. Since there isn’t going to be much in it, I’m looking for inspiration for wall colors. Something light to medium. What’s your favorite paint color?

Comments (27)

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Grayed greens I like Gray Wisp BM for sure

    Indecisiveness thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 5 years ago

    I was leaning towards the gray-green or purple-gray..


    I like Gray Wisp but I’m worried it might be a little dark in the room.

    The chip with the green dot is Gray Wisp; the red dot is Sea Salt





  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    What is your favorite color?

    What colors make you feel invigorated and motivated to move?

    What colors are in the rooms that are in line of site to this room?

    The fact that I love Lime Green may not be helpful.

    The fact that Sea Salt and Quiet Moments are really popular right now may not help you pick the best color for a room where you plan to exercise. They are both gray greens that have a spa like feel. May be the perfect color if you are using exercise for stress relief, but may not motivate you to move.

    Indecisiveness thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • 5 years ago

    Gray wisp won’t be too dark and would be pretty with white or cream trim. I also like the purple grays on the left.

    Indecisiveness thanked laura_04
  • 5 years ago

    what is the little square in the middle row lol playing tic tac toe with sea salt and gray whisp

    Indecisiveness thanked salonva
  • 5 years ago

    @salonva Thats BM Healing Aloe. I go back and forth on that one because in the sunligh, it seems a bit washed out.


    @laura_04 I was originally leaning towards purple, but when I said that my husband gave me a blank stare so I started looking at the greens.


    Im not really set on any color yet, wanted to keep my mind open . I wanted to stay lighter because there are some not-so-great drywall patches in that room and I don’t want o draw more attention to them. :)

    thanks for the feedback!

  • 5 years ago

    Sea Salt looked baby blue in my north-facing LR. Honestly, if you want an interesting paint, pick a color you like, not a color that’s popular!

  • 5 years ago

    Show the results of this study and your hubby may want the whole house painted purple




  • 5 years ago

    Funny question! I don’t have a favorite color, every room is different and the lighting is too! I prefer a less sweet green though so a couple good one are BM camouflage and BM mosaic tile. The y will look lighter not as muddy on the wall.

  • 5 years ago

    Not grey-the winter sky is depressing enough. Or sage green-with my skin color, green makes me look like I am recovering from the flu.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Favorite color? Hmmmm........each room is unique with its own unique lighting. I like Ben Moore Linen White--it's bright but warm, like sunshine. And it goes with anything. Or maybe ask the dog, if he's going to be in there most of the day!

  • 5 years ago

    I have BM Quiet Moments on my dining room ceiling and on my adjoining LR walls. I love it. Neutral, serene

  • 5 years ago

    But grey is perfect in my friend’s California house filled with that beautiful year round sunshine. And sage green is the perfect compliment to my StLouis friend’s soft gold adjoining rooms. The point is—pick colors that make you happy or calm or stimulated or cozy. Don’t pick paint colors by their name-Orange Popsicle vs Coral Reef Magic, Fog over the Landfill or Happy Home Grey. Good grief! Paint companies pay god money to the staff who names the colors something that resonates in our hearts. I am always astonished people paint first then complain they can’t find upholstered furniture to match. I am going to get another cup of coffee and enjoy my custom paint colors in my sanctuary.

  • 5 years ago

    ^^^^ I have to comment re custom paint colors. I have done that and the nightmare of trying to get the "custom" color right again is a nightmare!. Also, after I painted, it was much easier taking the paint sample to a furniture store to pick complimentary fabrics.

  • 5 years ago

    My favorite color is turquoise and aquas. I do like the gray. However, I see far too many rooms, with gray that are dull and boring, because everything is way too neutral.

  • 5 years ago

    BM Gray Owl -apparently gray is 'out of fashion' but give it 10 minutes haha.

    This gray is bright, happy and has the tiniest bit of blue in it in the very bright morning sun. In afternoon light and in the evening by low level electric lights and candles it is warm and plays a great supporting role for my art collection.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Peoples’ favourite colors will be endless, so may not help. I don’t think the color is as important as how you resonate with the color/room in general.






    You could do a wall treatment on the worse wall to cover the patches and it would provide interest and a bit of fun.


  • 5 years ago

    SW Sea Salt or BM Quiet Moments

  • 5 years ago

    Not sure why your husband is giving you a blank stare when you mentioned purple as it doesn't sound like he'll be in there unless the dog room is actually the dog house-ha-ha.

    Apparently someone must have asked a bunch of dogs what color they are attracted to so if your dog has any say about the color of his room here is your answer. And you might just ask your husband what he thinks of yellow and blue-lol...

    "Are you wondering what color your dog is most attracted to? The short answer is Yellow and Blue. Pretty bland? These are the colors that your dog finds easy to distinguish and can easily recognize"

  • 5 years ago

    Here are a few of my favourites from Benjamin Moore


    Wickham Gray HC-171 | Benjamin Moore · More Info


    Gray Wisp CC-670 | Benjamin Moore · More Info


    Spring Flowers 1430 | Benjamin Moore · More Info


    bm green tint - Google Search · More Info


    I've used Grey Wisp in several rooms and love it. The purple above is not nearly as bright on the wall. We had it in a bedroom with bright white wainscoting and I loved it.

    The last one, green tint, I'm just about to use in a spare bedroom we are turning into a TV room. Hint of green/grey....I'm looking forward to seeing it.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    First round of samples isn’t going great. Lower left in both is Sea Salt.

    Next to east facing window:



    On south wall




    here are the same pictures with the existing wall color edited to white








  • 5 years ago

    What is this called? Love it!

  • 5 years ago

    @laura_04 Its part of the Sherwin Williams HGTV collection at Lowes. I do like it, my concern is that it looks a little less purple in the picture than in the wall. Not sure which view is more accurate...




  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Painting samples on the wall is not the best way to select a color. For one, unless you paint at least 2 coats, the underlying color could bleed through and throw the color off. Second, a color will change depending on what's next to it, due to simultaneous contrast. So all of your colors will morph based on the ones you've painted around them, and you don't get a true rendering of the color. Also, what each one of us sees on our computer monitor won't accurately represent what you see on your walls. So anyone's opinion of which is the best color may or may not be the best one in reality.

    Unless you have access to large samples through the paint manufacturer, what you need to do is paint 2 coats of each color on large foamboards and move them around the room. Look at them in different lights--daylight, evening, artificial, etc.--and see which you like best.

  • 5 years ago

    I agree with Diana - you have to look at one or possibly two samples at one time/


    I like to use water color paper instead of foam core. Price is much lower and the results are closer to what you will see when a wall is painted.


    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004M59O4C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Good advice, Jennifer. I had no idea of the prices of these products. I get mine straight from Ben Moore.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County