Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

eggs shells and a power mix

hummersteve
3 years ago

Havent been on here for a while thought I would chime in. Since I low carb for myself I will accumulate a lot of egg shells which I save for feeding to worms at a later date. You have to save the egg shells for a while to get enough [half a doz 18 packs at least] egg shells are an important ingredients which will help the worms to process food thru their get. A coffee grinder from walmart is one of my most useful tools. I use for grinding the egg shells into a powder, but first I run the shells thru a microwave to zap salmonila that might be there [about 4 min.] I keep the egg shells separate from the other mix. The other mix 2 parts oatmeal to 1 part cornmeal,, this also gets ground into a flour. I keep these in two separate in 2 small empty coffee cans and my worms love this stuff. I try to equally sprinkle the two across the top of my worm factory which I keep covered with wet newspaper, I dont wet the dry mix though some do. Aside from that I save food scraps mostly fruit peelings etc bananas, berrries which gets saved in ziplock bags in freezer till I need to feed the worms. For this process I use a hamilton beach 800 watt juicer. Ive had mine for years and anything with less power wont do the job. Depending on how much juice is in the food sometimes I will add the juice back to the pulp if need be because its too dry. I save mine in large coffee cans but use whatever you have for your situation.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus