Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta U 2020 ....................

Hostas for U today

Have a great day everyone.

Comments (16)

• Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
    3 years ago

Good Morning, as for the picture differences I always stop at the first number so I say 3.

Here are a couple U's

Undulata - an oldie but pretty with some sun

Unforgettable

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    3 years ago

Undulata Albomarginata

Undulata Erromena

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have some beautiful U's to share with you!

Unruly Child, which emerges quite early in 7B.

Year 1 (2018), purchase year.

April

July 2019

Unruly Child 8/2019

3/7/2020. Just 1 more month!

3/22/2020, still in the frost protection area. She still got some frost damage this year.

July 4, 2020

8/16/2020 at dusk, in bloom

Unforgettable 7/4/2018, the upright one with green centers and wide yellow margin.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    3 years ago

Lol Paula making us think! I counted 5 differences.

Beth & utog Unforgettable is!

Shadow nice looking Erronema.

utog Unruly Child is a beauty.

Nothing exciting from me.

U. Albomarginata #1 which I will likely take out to make room for another or others since it takes up a good amount of space.

U. Albomarginata #2 growing well enough between a huge maple and huge butternut.

U. Univittata

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    3 years ago

Undulata undulata aka Mediovariegata (with Blue Hawaii)

Undulata albomarginata

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    3 years ago

I counted 5 too. No U’s for me... yet.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    3 years ago

Hosta_maker, those unnamed seedlings are impressive. Maybe the first one should be called Unicorn, as a truly red hosta is the unicorn you may have been looking for?

• miles10612
    3 years ago

I got Ulysses S. Grant about 5 years ago. It's finally settled in and had quite a bit of growth. I really like those seedlings Hosta Maker, especially the yellow and purple. As far as the kite routine. We had a Neopolitan Mastiff that weighted about 126 pounds who could have easily propelled us through the air. We got a leash that attached to a harness that prevented some human damage because she had less leverage--she was always amazed that she could yank us off our feet and would stand over her family member on the ground with a thoroughly puzzled look on her face, like why are you on the ground shouldn't you be walking next to me? She could easily pull my son off his feet and he's 6'8" and lifts weights.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

I counted 4, all on the right: a patch of yellow grass, chick on the floor has Only 1 wing, rooster’s wing is white and no tail on the rooster. Windymess, what was the fifth you found?

Beth Unforgettable is a really pretty one

shadow, looks like you have a couple of sporting white leaves.....are you going to separate those out and see what you get?

utog, that Unruly Child is.....well unruly looking..... :-)

hosta_maker, I am so impressed with your unnamed seedlings......the colors you are producing seem completely different from any other “hosta makers”, they’re beautifu!

miles you have so many nice hostas, I wish you were able to post

I have only 1 u and it’s very common:

Debra

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    3 years ago

Debra- the rooster's wattle is missing.

I am not going to do anything with the white part, I was told that it would not survive on it's own.

• old_dirt 6a
    3 years ago

I have/had several Undulata but let the ferns and ivy almost choke them out.

Unforgettable

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    3 years ago

Paula..I like dogs but those 2 scare me!..

4 differences at first..then 5..saw the yellow grass last..

Shadow has a prettier Undulata Erromena so I'll just post Undulata Albomarginata..

4-8-20

4-21-20

6-6-19..I moved these from all over the front and backyard..they weren't what I wanted in front or on view from my kitchen..I love them here..a good decision..and the price was right..free!..unless you count buying the house Ha!..

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    3 years ago

Just one crappy picture of Urchin, but a great looker and grower.

I appreciate all the pics of Undulata albormarginata as I have one when I moved in and now I'm even more sure that is what it is. I had to pull it out of the ground and put it into pots to make room for new stuff. I may not have it much longer anyway, lol.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    3 years ago

Only one U for me.

Undulata albomarginata (in May)

in June

I decided last year that if I wanted more room for hosta, I had to get rid of some. I decided to get rid of U. Erromena and U. Univittata. It was really hard for me to do. Now I see yours and wish I had kept a small piece of U. Erromena and Univittata. U. Erromena had been in my garden for decades and U. Univittata was probably from my in-laws. I have a chance to get U. Univittata back as it is planted at a family plot at the cemetery but doing poorly. I told my husband to remove it from there this spring and bring it to me!

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    3 years ago

hosta_maker to say I am a fan is an understatement.

old_dirt your Unforgettable is a beauty. I know you had a rough year but you have shown really exceptional specimens.

Steve Urchin Is wonderful.

nhl I am glad you will be able to get U. Univittata back. Hard choices need to be made but I see the older varieties as old friends. It reminds me of the old ditty - "Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold". Space is always at a premium. In a way I envy the newer collectors lol!