Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmcole01

Would you keep the current mirror or replace?

cmcole01
3 years ago

I really love this Anthropologie Gleaming Primrose mirror in gold and am wondering if it would work over the mantle. What do you think - keep current mirror or replace with the Primrose?

Comments (36)

• christinecamp
    3 years ago

That anthro mirror is amazing!!

• cmcole01
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@christinecamp I know! I really want it. Just want to make sure it would work in my space. What do you think? Here’s a few more pics of the room.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

I prefer the primrose....rectangular rather than round. You may have another location for the round mirror.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

the current mirror doesn't work in your room

however, this one almost mimics the screen. I like it. Have you actually measured it? use painters tape above your mantle in the exact measurement of the mirror. see how well it fits.

the only thing that's concerning is the gold color.

everything in the room is cool, gray, neutral tones

which are very pretty BTW, but I don't see any other gold.

if you could find this mirror in the black or a dark blue or metallic blue gray, it would be perfect.

You know, you could always paint it. (Modern Masters metallic paint)

the Shimmering sky or warm silver would be pretty

Or, pick up some other gold items to play w/the mirror.

maybe some pillows, a gold planter, a little gold table or urn, etc.

• shirlpp
    3 years ago

The Anthropologie mirror looks too tall to go over your fireplace. In any event, I agree that the one you have looks nicer.

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

Anthro mirror would be perfect!!! The round one is too small. Put it in your bedroom over the nightstand. You could just lean it on the mantle. It’s gorgeous!!!!

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

This is from an IG influencer account. Granted it’s Christmas decor but you get the idea. I have those sconces too

• cmcole01
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all. @beth h I appreciate the mock-up. I do have some gold accents in the room (pillows, painting over sofa, frame for print that will eventually be hung) And I’m certainly open to adding more. The mirror does come in black and silver, but I really like the gold.

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

Those sconces and the mirror would be perfect!

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

Ballard designs

• jck910
    3 years ago

Your mantle is too high for a mirror. It is just reflecting the ceiling.

• christinecamp
    3 years ago

I think that the anthro mirror would look beautiful in your room!!!
    You could add some more gold/ brass to your room by switching out some of your plant pots for gold pots (sometimes h & m has them and they’re surprisingly nice quality).
    I think your room is beautiful. I do think the anthro mirror will add a more current look that isn’t trendy.

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

Jck910 no it’s not, it’s perfect

• 2Cats AndTheirMom
    3 years ago

I like the Anthropology mirror the best of the 2 as I am not a fan of round mirrors for some reason. Does it come in an Antique Bronze. Seems a little shiny for your room with no other gold details but I am sure you can make it work adding some other gold accents.

• kazzh
    3 years ago

Not knowing the dimensions of your desired mirror, but I am thinking that you may not have the height between your mantle and the ceiling for the mirror to work, to give you a chimney breast focal point. The example pic in the thread shows the mirror with more height above it so it looks balanced and proportional. I think someone suggested a more horizontal mirror, which may provide better proportion and balance.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Use painter’s tape as Beth suggested to see what space it will occupy. It may be an optical illusion but that beautiful mirror might be too big. I vote for the new one if it fits! (And it’s glorious in gold.)

• jck910
    3 years ago

@Kathy Furt agree to disagree

• cmcole01
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi all - I have measured out the new mirror and it will fit (just). I’ve attached 2 pictures showing approximately where the height of the mirror would hit (using measuring tape). In these 2 pics the width of the new mirror would be the distance between the small pot and the candle. Also the 3rd pic is a mock-up of the mirror on my mantle.

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

Perfect!!! So much better. Get it

• kiffkat
    3 years ago

I like both mirrors, and think the gold would look fine. Whichever mirror you decide on, I suggest you move your accessories inward, closer to each side of the mirror instead of on the outer edges of the mantle. If space allows, try placing a few of the items in front of the mirror to give it an interesting layered effect. (Take note of how it was done in the influencer photo posted above)

• Fsal
    3 years ago

Anthro mirror is lovely and you can easily paint it to a more perfect finish with Metal Masters paint as Beth said. I do that all the time!

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

Kathy- those sconces do you have the info on them so I can search on Ballard for them?

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

Yes and they’re on sale today!! They’re called the Valletta sconces

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

Thank you.

• Kathy Handy Ginter
    3 years ago

What will your mirror reflect the ceiling mostly if I was you I would put it up on the mantle and check looks to me like it will be showing most of your ceiling and maybe the top part of your canvas print over the sofa

• Boxerpal
    3 years ago

I love the new square mirror. GET IT!!!!!

• PRO
    Ty Karges Home | Staging + Interior Design
    3 years ago

Hi @cmcole01,

I love the style of the anthro mirror that you picked out. However, I am concerned about the proportion over your fireplace: the width maybe too narrow and the height may be a bit too close to your ceiling.

I recommend sizing the mirror as wide as the fireplace as shown below. If that is not possible, layer in some decors (like small art pieces) to "expand" the width of your overmantel coverage. - see pic below:

I also recommend sizing down the height to not touching the ceiling. Essentially, look for mantel shape mirrors instead of the long rectangular ones. The Cecilia Mirror (Mantel) from Anthro might be a good replacement in term of style that you are going for. - see pic below:

Best of luck!

Ty Karges Home

www.tykarges.com or @tykarges on instagram

• cmcole01
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi all - so Anthropologie ad a sale & I bought the mirror! What do you think? How would you decorate the mantle?

• amuzyczka
    3 years ago

The Anthropologie mirror can stand alone. It's lovely. I'd take everything else off of the mantle but perhaps replace the tray on the coffee table with one the same color as the mirror frame.

• cmcole01
    Original Author
    3 years ago

More pics on this dreary day.

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

Hmmmm looks great but lonely,
    Needs some substantial things closer to it

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

Or nothing but the mirror

• PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    3 years ago

If anything, I’d keep things simple like perhaps a trio of brass (gold) candlesticks, kept closer to mirror (not ends of mantle) but not immediately next to it.

• PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    3 years ago

oh and differing heights on the candleholders.

• DC_World6 DC_World6
    3 years ago

I have 20% off for anthro store. If any1 need msg me