Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_474173511

Will a chestnut vine damage the plasterboard/wall if I train it up?

HU-474173511
3 years ago

Hi! I’ve recently came into possession of a chestnut vine (tetrastigma voinierianum) or lizard vine that’s currently in a pot growing upwards on a small wire trellis, which I understand is quite hard to come by in the UK.

I‘ve grand visions of making a bamboo trellis and attaching this to the interior wall (the section with the picture/board), and training the vine to grow up towards the ceiling (several meters high, by the window) in our kitchen.

Myself and my partner have only recently moved into our flat together, which he/his parents own, and when I told my mum my grand vision she was horrified and said it would destroy the wall, could cause permanent damage and ultimately said it was a definite no go.

I’ve scoured the internet and can’t see any information to say this is true - I understand ivy’s etc. can cause damage, however from what I’ve gathered “true vines” use tendrils that would wrap around my make-shift trellis as opposed to directly suctioning/adhering to the wall, which could cause damage. So in that respect, I think it would be fine (side note- I’ve a difficult relationship with my in-laws and causing permanent structural damage to their property wouldn’t do me any favours!)

Does anyone have any advice/knowledge on this? I got myself so excited thinking how amazing turning that area of the wall into leafy-green vinery would be, but obviously don’t want to cause any damage/get myself in any trouble.

I’ve attached a few pictures of the current set up (walls are plasterboard, west facing window by the way and I’ve a wee humidifier set up, and as I mentioned I’m hoping to make a bamboo trellis and attach with hooks, so any advice on that too would be much appreciated!)

Thanks so much for your help,

Shaun

Glasgow, Scotland

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor