Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdudderar

Exterior dilemma

Raquel
10 years ago
We are looking at buying this house. It was built in 1910. We love the house but my husband is not a big fan of the textured exterior. He prefers shingles. It's made of cinder blocks and granite from a local quarry, we are told. What do you think? Can and should we change it at some point in the future? Thanks for the help.

Comments (70)

• PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    10 years ago
    I actually like it! I think some color, or painted window frames/mullions, shutters and window boxes with flowers would help it look more warm and inviting as well
  • Raquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    You guys are awesome! You have put to rest any doubts about the textured look of the house. I'm even more in love with house. We are making an offer today :)
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Good luck….just make sure the inspector identifies that applied siding. Asbestos removal or repair ( should you need to or want to) could be a huge issue and be very costly.

"Depending on the type of artificial siding used, the age of the house, and the length of time a house has been sided, twenty to forty percent of the underlying original siding material (which will be present beneath the artificial siding; only selected projecting trim elements, such as brackets or the “ears” on a window sill, are removed when siding is applied) may need replacement or repair. Replacement of all of the ORIGINAL exterior siding and trim is never necessary and should be avoided."

House is fab.
  • charliebeth
    10 years ago
    Good for you! I hope hubby can be converted to like the house too! :)
  • Emily H
    10 years ago
    Good luck!
  • PRO
    purehome
    10 years ago
    It is absolutely adorable! Congratulations! Does he know that people had to pay a lot of extra money to get this look? The paint color is perfect for the style of your home, also!
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    good luck!
    i love the texture. it's super cool!
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    had laughingly thought to myself that SO MANY people are drawn to this house that I just think you're going to have to retitle this because it sure doesn't sound like a dilemma anymore!!!

It looks so well cared for. I hope the inspection goes well for electrical also that its not knob and tube etc. It looks so solid and clean. I bet the floor plan is great. That walk down has me curious. I'm thrilled for you and wish you all the happiness. Good luck on the purchase process!
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Good thing we do not know where this is, or we all would be placing an offer tonight! GOOD LUCK and let us know when we can open the champagne!
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    I know, right!!!??? Notice she didn't even answer about what part of country it is!!! Yes, let us know so we can pop the cork :)
  • Raquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Meeting with the realtor tomorrow morning to officially place an offer. If everything goes well I'll soon be posting more questions as I give the home my own personal touch. As many of you noticed, it is super well cared for. The family lived there for 27 years. They are selling it because he has arthritis and knows that with time he won't be able to climb those steps. And by the way, it's in CA ;)
    Thanks again for all the help and support. I'll add a post in the next couple of days letting you know what happens with our offer.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Ooooh! I'll be thinking of you from Florida. Fingers crossed X I hope you do love it..gosh its a terrific house. (BTW, I looked up the history of concrete ! If you ever need to know anything about taking care of concrete, The National Historic Preservation of Concrete can tell you everything you'd need to know how from chewing gum to urine stains! I don't think they left out a thing! Made me wonder if you may be under any Historic Society guidelines or rules or anything like that) It's wonderful to have such multitudes of resources. You never know when it's going to be "spot on" for our own needs.

It's sad for the man and his family. I know how that goes. It will help to know the house will be loved still, by you.

Thanks for getting back to keep us in touch.
  • PRO
    Maguire
    10 years ago
    Did you get the house?
  • Connie Carbary
    10 years ago
    It's very cute! I bet it is stronger than any brick you can buy
    Raquel thanked Connie Carbary
  • zennifer
    10 years ago
    Agree with Maguire...it's absolutely concrete "brick." These houses are quite common in certain areas. Nice look, too.
  • Mercedes Stenberg
    10 years ago
    It looks like what we call basse block here in South Central Texas. This looks to be in great shape, but be sure to check for cracks.
    Raquel thanked Mercedes Stenberg
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    I've been waiting to hear too!!! Keeping you in my thoughts and IM SOOO READY TO DO THE HAPPY DANCE!!!!
  • pegonia1
    10 years ago
    Good luck and I love the exterior......so much charm!
    Raquel thanked pegonia1
  • Don Or Janet Cook
    10 years ago
    To keep hydrangeas blue you need acidic soil with high potassium, low phosphorus. Some people use epsom salts in the soil or sprayed on the foliage for it's magnesium.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    I remember PH of soil made colours more vibrant but struggled to remember which was which! Thought of Litmus (sp) test strips trying to bring even the slightest clue to confirm and help this prolonged senior moment! The Carolina southern women have enormous plants laden with the heavy blooms around Easter. Truly gorgeous. They are beautiful as dried flowers. Simply cut and hang upside down with simple twine. Must do before they begin their decline. Unfortunately, they must be sacrificed at their peak. I never could get their water rrquirements right. Once again, beautiful nature seems to grow them best without usually ANY help from people! Think we all have much yet to learn?

I've always said will someday have some established bushes.ALL LITTLE OLD LADIES SHOULD HAVE ;-

I've learned something here (again ) hydrangras like potassium, Epsom Salts, phosphorus and Magnesium, right? Magnesium NOT MANGANSE, correct?

What about Potash?

Seems she could maybe have blooming shrubs all year. Camelias in the winter? Crepe myrtles all summer.
    Its so clean, hardly any prep, just plant without cleaning out a jungle first.

Gosh what gem they found!
  • Raquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We are in contract!! So happy and super exited. Can't wait to move in. I think we got a good deal and the current owners seemed very pleased too. Win-win all around. That's how it should be.

The house is move in ready, very clean, very well kept. We don't need to do any immediate work (pending inspection). But down the road we will likely upgrade the kitchen and make some other small changes. The basement, which is practically ground level, has 7 foot ceilings. Anybody knows if its easy to dig down a foot or so to make it standard ceiling height? Would that be a crazy extravagant project?

By the way, there's no asbestos. It's molded concrete like some of you suggested.

Thanks again for all the support.
  • PRO
    Matilda Bos Design Studio
    10 years ago
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so happy you have your new home, and glad too your in Northern CA, I live
    in Marin, it's wonderful!!!
    Raquel thanked Matilda Bos Design Studio
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Oooooh HAPPY HAPPY FOR YOU!!!! I M TRULY SO ECSTATIC!!! Can you please post interior photos when you have opportunity? DO YOU CLOSE SOON? A million questions I know....:-) I'm in your peanut gallery! You've got folks rooting for you all over country, England, etc..around the world. That's pretty impressive! Blessings to you and yours in this new home. Blessings. I am smiling from ear to ear :-D

I found an old inspectors forum from around US with houses your age. I'm techimpaired. I will try to send if you have any interest, deals with brick vs concrete encounters. The last "older than dirt" entry is priceless memories.

Oh, how I Do Go on...my apologies.

CONGRATS FROM THE HEART! ♥
    Raquel thanked auntiebuzzybee
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    BEST NEWS today! Thanks for sharing with us! Uncork the champagne!!!
    Raquel thanked abbyjean
  • Raquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks :) We should close within 40 days. Hopefully sooner. The owners already moved out so that helps. I took some pictures of the inside yesterday. Except for the basement. Will post them soon. The original house was 2 bed and 1 bath. A previous owner expanded the back of the house (kitchen dine-in area, 2 bedrooms and a half bathroom). The basement is finished with a bed and bath and a open area.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    What a score! Those days will fly by......I hope!
    Raquel thanked abbyjean
  • Raquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's the kitchen. There's a door that connects the dinning room to the kitchen (sink of the left, stove and fridge on the right). The sliding doors connect the dine-in area to a wood deck that overlooks the backyard. The additional 2 bedrooms and 1/2 bath in off a hallway next to the fridge. Not sure if you can put it all together.
  • Janie
    10 years ago
    This is the beginning of some great ideas for your new home...lots of choices but definitely stay away from shutters...this is a craftsman style home not cottage..clean and simple lines were what they were all about..take your time in deciding what you want to do..live with it awhile and get a feel for the homes entire personality! :-) http://www.houzz.com/1910-bungalow-style
    Raquel thanked Janie
  • Raquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Can you guys see all 7 pictures? Maybe I did this wrong. It's only showing me one: the fridge.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Only see one here, too. Nice one, though!
  • PRO
    Maguire
    10 years ago
    I'm thrilled for you! Absolutely thrilled! Congratulations! May you live long and happily in the little charmer!
    Raquel thanked Maguire
  • Raquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Let me try again.
  • Raquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Last one of the kitchen
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    It truly is ready for you to move in! Gotta love that, too!!! That family truly loved this home, and you shall, too!
  • PRO
    Maguire
    10 years ago
    Beautiful kitchen. So much storage, I'm jealous. I love the angled upper corner cabinets and the little lift ups over the sink. It does look like it's been well thought out and taken care by some proud owners.
    So happy for you and the good news! Closing in September and holidays in the new place!
  • PRO
    Matilda Bos Design Studio
    10 years ago
    Hi.....It looks wonderful, when you have more pictures I would love to see them.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Hello There, Lucky Lady! It's been a month now...DID YOU CLOSE??? Just sooo excited for you and your husband..keeping you in our thoughts and just peeking in on you!!!
    Raquel thanked auntiebuzzybee
  • Raquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks bsellers. We should close by the end of the month. We are very excited. We will be doing very minimal work prior to moving in. There are 2 rooms that need new carpet and fresh paint. I am also painting the kitchen walls a light yellow and the cabinets white.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Rdudderar, I have SUCH A HUGE SOFT SPOT for this house and your experience from I assume almost the first days of discovery. I sure hope all is going well with no glitches. You are definitely in someone's thoughts! Did you move in yet? Yes????:-)
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Oops, crossed notes! Ooh I love yellow. I gravitate to it. Oh! And you are painting cabs too??? Coool...Thats what I want! Our house styles and ages are diffferent. Mine is 1953 Floridian. I may just might do retro laminate counters but with yours gosh...soapstone, butcherblock, concrete, stainless top...gosh...I mean your house is simply the best!!! I know you are very busy juggling between your two places...getting both ends done and then the in between stuff. I hope your hubby loving texture now! Are you doing the Rustoleum reburbishment cabinet stuff?
    Well, when you surface to breathe and sit on your sofa, we would love to hear from you. I am a HUGE FAN!!! LOL! CONGRATS AGAIN!
  • PRO
    David J Gill
    10 years ago
    This discussion started with a question about changing the exterior texture and then moved on to other things and I guess you did buy the house. What conclusion have you reached on the texture, I am wondering?
    Let me make two points:
    First, the texture is not applied it is a high quality type of concrete block; covering it would be expensive and difficult to detail correctly, and would add nothing to the value of the home. It would likely look awkward where the siding is detailed around windows etc and might trap moisture in the wall.
    Second, buying a house with plans to change one of it's primary qualities is like planning to marry someone with the intention of changing them. Buy a house with qualities you enjoy and put your money into improvements that add something rather than just change something.,
  • Blue
    10 years ago
    LOVE the house!
  • ahelton142
    10 years ago
    I think it would look great in a green color trimmed in dark gray.
  • ahelton142
    10 years ago
    Or maybe something like this !
  • Raquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi David, thanks for the comment. Actually both my husband and I are completely in love with the house, texture and all. We have no intention of changing it. You are absolutely right about the concrete blocks. There's nothing applied to it. And there's no asbestos as someone asked earlier. We do talk about painting it a darker color at some point in the future, but not right away. I'll certainly be asking for opinion on that matter when the time comes. For now we are discussing how to arrange furniture in our new living room. I'll post a separate post asking for opinion. We are not planning on buying any new furniture.

My husband thought of creating a blog to share our experience from buying a house to making it our home. Not sure if was serious about it. We should close and move in by the end of the month.
  • johschmoh
    9 years ago
    For more info on this type of exterior, search using terms such as "cast block house" or "rock face concrete". I have family researching potential paint schemes for their cast concrete house, so I have a Pinterest board you are welcome to peruse. Congratulations on your home!
    http://www.pinterest.com/johnorton/mt-house-color-ideas/
    https://www.facebook.com/ClassicRockFaceBlock
  • auntiebuzzybee
    9 years ago
    OLD POST! NO COMMENT UNTIL OP RETURNS.
  • km kane
    9 years ago
    Bsellers, are you the poster police? :) Some of us still like to connect here :-0 We have some historic Craftsman homes like this in Portland, but they aren't painted and look fabulous. We refer to them as greystones, though I doubt they are technically the grey stones like those in the Midwest. However, I wonder if they were sandblasted if they might look better??
  • mom3333
    8 years ago

I like to read old posts when they are about 1910 Craftsman, as I have a 1915. I am ALWAYS curious about what other people have to say about them.

We had a 1200 sf ft Craftsman and added an addition to make it 3600. Our original foundation was, what is called around here, 'rock face block' so we looked to see if we could find some. We found a guy that had some stored out back behind his barn, and used them in the foundation of the new addition (at least where it showed.)

We used a couple when we put a railroad rail through our 2 basement windows, of the old part, to hold the house up and needed to 'fill' the holes.

Heavy things, but they seem to be block that will last forever.

If no comment was wanted on an old post, why do they show up at the side of newer posts? Sometimes the original poster is not the only person interested in the topic, or what others have to add.