Software
Houzz Logo Print
colette_featherly

Help me find new dining chairs - please!

5 years ago

I would like to replace our dining chairs and can not figure out what type would look best. We’ve had the current ones 15-ish years and the cushioning is worn, back legs are wobbly, bonded leather is peeling - so time to upgrade. Everything else is staying. I’m not usually stumped like this. My kids are now old enough that fabric chairs are an option but wonder if I should go leather or wood anyway. I’m struggling with 100% wood chairs bc the table has a bit more orange in it than I like and I don’t want more of it. I think I’d like a shorter back at least for the side chairs. Should I do two head chairs? Or all the same?I do not want any type of bench. Would love suggestions to get me going on this!

You may notice there isn’t a chandelier - prior owners had this as a formal living room. But we switched around the room layout. That is eventually on the to-do list but the ceiling is vaulted without an attic above so it is will take a bit to wire and patch walls. Plus I don’t know what light fixture I’d like either.

The last picture is the room adjacent to the dining room (including the fixture they had over the table - to be replaced eventually). Rooms are painted the same color - SW Amazing Grey - it changes a lot depending on time of day and light. I’m afraid if I do Grey-ish fabric dining chairs it will be too much of the same in these rooms.

Comments (15)

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    IMO some nice fabric chaors in a color from the rug and replace that mirror with another piece of art and move the lamps further apart or just use one.I think it depends on the look you want . To me with those roman sghades I would go a bit less high back and choose something like this for a little less formal look . i think it would work well with the space next to this


  • 5 years ago

    You don't mention budget. Good chairs can get expensive. However, "brown wood" has fallen from favor, and people donate great quality sets. This is particularly true in the case of estates, where daughter-in-law doesn't want MIL's mahogany dining set, so it goes to Goodwill.


    If you like traditional, it may be worth checking out resale shops in your area. Even if you need to recover the seats, you can get great quality on a budget.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Pretty home. Wood gets uncomfortable after sitting in for a time. I would use all the same height chairs. Leather is the safer choice if you never want to fear a spill. However choosing a fabric in crypton is quite safe. Leather is more expensive and that may ultimately be your decider.


    You can also choose a vinyl that feels like suede (this is not bonded leather) which I would stay away from.


    Blue would work well. However, consider that if you keep these chairs for awhile, you are tied into the blue. Nothing wrong with either way, just pointing that out.


    A neutral tone like diamond white or even a greige is not out of the question to me.


    I would change out the mirror for some impactful art.







  • 5 years ago

    you need the blue chairs to make that room pop!


  • PRO
    5 years ago

    can't see all the colors in your rug but pulling for it to add color in the room is a great way to get something that will be great. pick one that isn't dominant in the rug. a few inspos that may or may not work because I can't quite see all the colors.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    is a beautiful rug and room. picking one of the lighter accent colors from the rug should make the chairs perfect choice and then the style you want.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Really like the style and colour of the 1st proposal at top. With the blue more colourful chairs in the room, I do like the existing 2 lamps & mirror...


  • 5 years ago

    Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I do like the idea blue (navy) chairs. Here are closeups of the rug in the dining room and middle room. We do have a blue/navy bench nearby. Our style isn’t super traditional.

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I do like the idea blue (navy) chairs.

    Also, I’m open to changing the mirror but it takes us a long time to pick out art. Sometimes we pick up paintings on vacation or arts fairs, etc. We moved to this house late 2019 and slowly have been updating / changing out items. The rugs and swivels in the second room were recent purchases. Table / chairs / mirror we’ve had a while.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    you would get some fabric or throws or something in the different colors of your rug then drape one at a time over one of the chairs at the table, removing the other chairs and seeing which ine you like before you make the committment. if you have anything cloth in the house with those colors use but to get the full visual.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    could not would*

  • 5 years ago

    As for budget - I’m not opposed to ordering custom chairs for something I love and is “classic.” Willing to pay less for something more trendy. I do like the shape of these chairs from Arhaus.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I think those would work well in your space.

  • 5 years ago

    What is the source of the blue chairs w/ white trim?