linaria_z7_ch

NoID Fabacea on roof terrace

linaria_gw

hi there

this is at a friend of my mine

she has this Fabaceae Sub-shrub, I think,

which should flower yellow in summer,

can you put a name to this?

bark

bark 2

foliage

somewhat closer up

it suffered some frost damage and she was not sure how far back she could prune it

(neither did I, despite of the "o, you do this stuff, don't you, can you take a look..." after being so naive to tag along "just for coffee")

thanks for ideas,

yours, Lin

• linaria_gw

sorry, should add, size about 5 feet,

longish branches which tend to bow/ hang down

she got it at a garden center or some such, so probably nothing too fancy

(mid Europe, z7)

• Jay 6a Chicago

Lespedeza cuneata?

linaria_gw thanked Jay 6a Chicago
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

whats the hurry on pruning away damage..

let spring come.. let the plant come out of dormancy ... and THEN consider what pruning might not be needed ... not only to remove damage .. but to start reshaping the plant if needed ...

it really doesnt matter what it is ...

present company excepted.. i just dont understand this base need to slaughter a damaged plant immediately ... i see it across all the forums ... oooo.. my plant is damaged.. so i cut off the whole top of the plant.. what should i do now??? ... lol ... well.. glue it back on.. and have some patience ....

just let the plant show you what need be done ...

ken

linaria_gw thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Cytisus of some type perhaps? These sub shrub Fabaceae often tend to be a bit short lived and prone to die back as I’m sure you know.

linaria_gw thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • Jay 6a Chicago

Floral, I'm not familiar with that genus, your brooms. How many species of Cytisus are cultivated over there? This plant could match Cytisus scoparium, but the emerging flowers on this plant are more white? Is that typical for Cytisus?

linaria_gw thanked Jay 6a Chicago
  • linaria_gw

hi there

thanks for the many answers,

Cytisus could fit,

I am not sure about the flower color, it is not 100% that it is yellow,

said friend mistook a strongly filled climber with barby-pink hues and thought it was a New dawn, so observation is not her strong point.

what puzzles me is the foliage, I got the impression that the shrub kept them over winter, and I thought that the damage was caused by a recent cold spell

or do Cytisus leaf out really early? (my go-to nursery book describes all species/cultivars of Cytisus as deciduous)

hm, just not familiar with that group, as floral said they seem to grow unreliable and are short-lived and most of them would prefer poor, well draining soil which does not occur around here...

so, I told her to take a pic or some more when it flowers,

bye, Lin

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Did you check out the Genista monspessulana suggestion, Lin? That’s evergreen.

• linaria_gw

Hi floral

I noticed that it is not listed in my "nursery bible",

and a web search did not get any hits with German/Swiss nurseries, so from that angle I think it is unlikely, perhaps frost issues/ hardiness

apart from that it could fit somehow, so

I guess we will wait for the first flowers.

thanks again, bye, Lin