Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emma_nagy

Can I put plants between two windows?

Emma Nagy
3 years ago

Hi!

This might be a very stupid question but I was wondering.. My windowsill is between two very large windows. Can I place plants there? I know that airflow is important, but I also read about keeping plants in an enclosed space. What are your opinions?

Comments (12)

• beesneeds
    3 years ago

Depends on the plants.

• Emma Nagy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@beesneeds are there plants that don't just tolerate but are perfectly okay in that environment?

• beesneeds
    3 years ago

Depends on what your environment really is. How much light are you getting there? How deep of a windowsill is it, that will make a difference on what size pots you can have.

Some plants need more space and lights, others can take more shade grow smaller.

Could you show a pic of what this space is you want to grow in?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

where are you... big city name.. how cold does it get outside... are the windows double to insulate the interior .... can you open the inside window easily ... how about a pic ...

how wide is the space with both windows closed???

ken

• Emma Nagy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@beesneeds I am not home at the moment, but it is a west facing window, it is around 2x2 meters (6.5 ft x 6.5) - the room itself gets a lots of light. The windowsill is not too wide I would say around 10-15 centimeters. (4-6 inches) During spring and summer I open the windows whenever I can.

• Dave
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Without telling us what kind of plants and what part of the world you’re in (so we know the climate) no one will be able to give you an answer.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Whatever plant it is, it’ll need to quite small to fit on a 15 cm shelf.

• Emma Nagy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Dave @ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5 Sorry! My question started out at first as more of a general enquire about whether it is possible at all to keep anything alive there :) I live in Budapest, Hungary.

The windows are pretty old, (west facing) so if there was only one it wouldn't insulate too well but I can open them easily. The space is around 15cm wide. Thank you all for your help!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

A lot depends on whether you have curtains and whether they block light even when pulled back. But I’ll repeat, on a 15cm wide shelf you could only fit a very small plant such as a mini African violet. If the shelf were wider you'd have greater scope.

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    3 years ago

I can't really picture this at all. Do you happen to have a picture?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

yes.. we need a pic ...

in theory no reason you cant do it ....

but it might get too cold in there in winter .. the usual purpose of said space is a thermal barrier to the inner window ... which can stay warmer with the dead air inside ...

it will get too hot in summer.. and when it gets too hot.. humidity will probably get messed up ...

i presume the windows dont stay fogged all the time.. so adding a water source.. between the to ... the pot might increase that ...

agree 15 cm isnt much space for anything ...

unless i am just not understanding the whole thing.. ergo.. a pic plz

ken

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Right, I think have completely misunderstood the question. I wasn’t picturing the space between double glazed units. I thought we were talking about a wall between two different windows. A picture would really have helped😉

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor