Software
Houzz Logo Print
seth_groman

Cabinet Lines Offering Walnut

5 years ago

I have gotten a quote from 2 custom cabinet makers for a kitchen remodel in which I'd like my lower cabinets to be walnut veneer, but I'd like to compare those quote to options from larger manufacturers. Unfortunately, I've found that many manufacturers do not offer walnut as an option. Can anyone point me in the direction of which cabinet brands offer walnut, preferably in a slab door or a "skinny" shaker door style?


Thanks!

Comments (38)

  • 5 years ago

    Crown Point, Crown Select, and Barker. Money no object, Crown Point lines all cabinets with walnut, no joke. Money was an object for me haha but they are stunning. Their Crown Select line is more affordable and same quality.

  • 5 years ago

    There are many... I love walnut. Wanted to do this so badly. My husband wanted to classic white.



    Have you seen Plain and Fancy Cabinets? Cabico?


    Walnut



    Contemporary walnut kitchen cabinets · More Info



    Cabico Walnut Unique



    Dallas | Hillside | Kitchen · More Info




    I do not know much about this cabinet brand but they have walnut

    Omega




  • PRO
    5 years ago

    You have to go through a cabinet dealer as most lines do not sell directly to consumers. Call some local dealers and they will be able to direct you to the lines they carry which offer Walnut.

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks for the comments thus far. Unfortunately, money is an object so Crown Point and Plain and Fancy are not feasible for us. I should have stated this before, but I'm looking at mid-range to upper mid-range if possible. Custom is not absolutely necessary, we just got quotes from some custom makers because they were well regarded for quality and value for money.

  • 5 years ago

    @Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc. I understand that. I was just hoping to target my search of dealers. It seems like many lines don’t carry walnut so I wanted to find the lines that do carry it and then search for dealers that carry those lines.

  • 5 years ago

    @S G we have been very happy with Cabico. They carry three price ranges for different shoppers. We trust how they are manufactured. You might see if there is a Cabico dealer near you and if not reach out to them directly.


    There are also some online buy direct cabinets from various dealers. I do not know the quality or reputation, but this is an option if Walnut is your must but you need them affordable. Below is link. Some of the base cabs are under $500


    Best Online Cabinets

  • 5 years ago

    We got ours from Semihandmade. They do not match grain anymore, though


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I've just gone through this "walnut" process and should have my walnut order in (hopefully) this week with the Omega dealer. This is an actual display of the Omega Jax door front in natural walnut. The next photo is of the Omega Jax in walnut stained in sage ( it is not green- go figure).


    Photo - Google Photos · More Info



    Photo - Google Photos · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    This seems like the perfect sweet spot for Semihandmade. You'll get budget pricing for mid-range quality (ikea cabs) or upper mid range quality (veneer door fronts).

  • 5 years ago

    When i got semihandmade walnut doors in 2015, the veneer wrapped around the edges. There was no banding. We lived in that house for 3 years with a very busy preschooler, and the doors were in perfect condition when we sold. YMMV.

  • 5 years ago

    I’m doing slab style walnut wood veneer cabinets and received quotes from Omega Dynasty, Ultracraft, and Shiloh Eclipse. Quotes came in between $13k and $27k for 16 cabinets, uppers and drawer base cabinets.

    S G thanked tdn08
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Barker and Scherrs have walnut come ready to assemble (RTA) so you would need to have some assemble and clear coat the boxes on site. You can get the doors/drawers with clear coat. Both allow people you to price on their website

    https://www.barkercabinets.com/default.asp


    https://www.scherrs.com

  • 5 years ago

    @tdn08 This is very helpful. I have actually found a cabinet I like on the ultracraft website. Where on the spectrum of cost did they fall?

  • 5 years ago

    @S G Ultracraft was between $13k-$19k, depending on the dealer. if you get quotes, be sure to ask if Ultracraft is running any promotions. I was able

    to get an extra $1000 off that way.

  • 5 years ago

    Most walnut I see out there is low grade quality.. Most people don’t know the difference because they are not exposed to high quality architectural grade material. I agree with JuneKnow that Semihandmade is not top quality. It’s off-the-self hit and miss somtimes ok sometimes ”Rorschach test” looking grain. I only use material that I’ve selected from raw veneer for its color and consistency and have it processed into sheet goods that we make into doors. This cost more to do but we still are not priced higher than others. Also the type of finish we use adds to the look.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    UltraCraft Veneer Options.


  • 5 years ago

    So who makes a cabinet with a walnut veneer that is of pretty good quality? I'm not looking for the perfectly straight lines (or the expense) or rift sawn walnut, but I much prefer quarter sawn walnut to flat sawn walnut. I was interested in Omega at first, but those photos @tedbixby1981 posted above have kind of turned me off. I do not like the look of the natural walnut at all. The stained is nicer, but I find the pattern on the drawer much more appealing than the door. Is a consistent grain only available from the very high end brands?

  • 5 years ago

    There are basically two cuts of walnut (more than that but to keep it simple). There is the traditional look called “flat cut” whi how has more grain pattern and shapes called “cathedrals”. Then there is “quarter cut” which has a straight even grain. Within those two cuts the end result can vary greatly: This is where the grade and quality comes into play.

    The example above you noted (which is a bad example) has a bunch of sap wood throughout. That is the light colored strips that are from the new growth on the very outside of the tree. This would be discarded in any higher end job but some may like it and call it “rustic” although real rustic would have knots and if they are smaller “pin knots” the effect can be quite nice if that’s what you’re going for.

    Just took these photos of two examples I’m working with (under some really bad lighting).


    Flat cut




    Quatercut




  • 5 years ago

    Columbia offers walnut.

  • 5 years ago

    @BeverlyFLADeziner Ultracraft has more wood veneer options than you show here, including Reconstituted Walnut in vertical and horizontal grain, as well as plain walnut in 3 stains.


    And the veneer is on all sides of the doors. It’s not wrapped but is covered seamlessly.


    Omega is rather pricey, but that, Ultracraft, Shiloh, Scherr’s, and Barker Cabinets are all upper mid-range in price and quality from what I’ve read and seen.

  • 5 years ago

    I love walnut as well.


    Heard of Kokeena mentioned for Ikea cabinets but have no experience and can't vouch for quality. Just sharing another possible source.

  • 5 years ago

    There is also Dunsmuir and the Cabinet Face as well as the others mentioned above that make walnut faces for IKEA. I am interested in horizontal grain walnut as well.

  • 5 years ago

    I looked at their walnut samples and couldn’t find anything that matched this.. Should the ikea cabinetry not fit my kitchen, I will be needing a semi custom maker that carries walnut in this color.

    https://pin.it/7LzoEO5

  • 5 years ago

    @kimmykitty05 Based on the way the grain pattern is continuous across the drawer fronts on those cabinets it appears a single piece of veneer was used. You‘re only going to find that in high end cabinetry. It requires additional work and isn’t inexpensive.

  • 5 years ago

    We’re doing Ultracraft burnished walnut veneer in our new build (flat panel doors). It’s beautiful in person. I’m a huge fan of veneer in general. We did them for a bar and several bathrooms in a remodel, and it’s held up beautifully. They also wrap the inside of the doors. (Not the walnut obviously but just showing our veneer doors)

  • 5 years ago

    S G that’s been my issue my entre life. Champagne taste on a beer budget. With IKEA and a company like scherrs it’s possible at a more reasonable price. Do any of the mid priced lines offer grain matching at the very least not necessarily cut from one large piece?

  • 5 years ago

    @kimmykitty05: Scherr’s and 27estore offer grain matching, but Omega, Ultracraft, Shiloh, and Barker do not. However, depending on how tight the grain is, grain matching might not be necessary. If you have a lot of cathedrals and variant amongst the wood, you’d want grain matching. Some of the samples I’ve seen have limited variety throughout the walnut that grain matching didn’t seem necessary.

  • 5 years ago

    @kimmykitty05 I suffer from the same affliction. As to your question, I do not know the answer. The expense of grain matching is why I’ve been looking into cabinet styles other than slab doors. A cabinet such as a skinny shaker has the stiles and rails to break up the continuity so the lack of a continuous grain is less apparent.

  • 5 years ago

    True!

  • 5 years ago

    @tdn08 I hadn’t heard of 27estore and will check it out. Thanks for the advice on the grain style and ability to do without matching. I am learning so much.

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Shiloh now offers Walnut and also a Reconstituted Walnut material (not real walnut....google it) but it can have a look that people like.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Here is a very minimalist kitchen I did for a client last year. They have Shiloh's recon. walnut cabinets on back wall. The table was custom built with real walnut slabs....so they do have a different look.



  • 5 years ago

    The upper cabinets are a b ok r too dark for what I am looking for , but those slabs va are right on! Really nice work.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I figured...just thought I'd post a pic anyway so people know what recon wood looks like. Here is a recessed solid, real walnut door from Shiloh in Natural. They also offer this in a slab door style w/ veneer.


  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Not sure where you live - but look into Candlelight cabinetry. They do a beautiful black walnut that prices out less than their cherry. Then they also do a select walnut that is m ore expensive.

    They are located just outside of Buffalo NY - family run company.

  • 5 years ago

    Austin. Thank you both. I love the variance of that Shiloh. I am still looking for something a bit more warm like this pin, but that is a good second.

    https://pin.it/7LzoEO5

  • 4 years ago

    @kimmykitty05, did you find the walnut you were looking for? I am in search as well and seems like I have the same preferences as you.