Software
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_carter7081573

Which island seating design do you prefer?

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I haven't had a large island like this before. So I'm curious what all of you think.

Social seating vs diner seating with waterfall. The island is 5x8.5 and I am currently eyeing a nice Ijen Blue quartzite top, so there will be some motion and it will be the focal point. Cabinets are white (right now)

Social Pros: less expensive (no waterfall), could incorporate some wood that ties in with floating shelves. Easy to chat.

Diner Pros: dramatic, hides chair legs. Is it too much drama with the waterfall? .

Here is each design (ignore the wood).

Also, is it a problem if my island and cabinet run don't exactly line up? I wanted that extra cabinet at the end!

Thank you!








Comments (12)

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Lisa C thanked mdln
  • 5 years ago

    I'd pick social.

    I would also offset the sink in the island so you have more than 30" on one side of the sink for prepping. I'd try for a minimum of 42" with more better. But, have 18" on the other side for landing space & minimizing splashing water on the floor. I'd also consider a 30" wide sink rather than 36". If you want a 36" sink somewhere, put it on the perimeter with the DWs in the Cleanup Zone.

    No, your island doesn't have to line up with the perimeter cabinet run. In this case the seating area behind the island really defines the island's "boundaries" anyway.

    Lisa C thanked Buehl
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    What is the style of the kitchen ? IMO only very contemporay kitchens suit waterfall counters . A 5’ wide island is not ideal for cleaning I have a 54” wide one and am tall and barely can reach across it. I think we need to see a floor plan to scale and still some idea of your style. I have no idea what you are showing with cabinets burried with no access. Who is designing this kitchen? I need a lot more info and honestly do not think either of these work . Post a plan with all measurements to scale.

    Lisa C thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 5 years ago

    I think neither is quite right, hence the dilemma - any KDs have different island configs?

  • 5 years ago

    The island is definitely too deep. This needs a rethink.


    As far as how seating should be laid out, I would always choose "social" over "diner", based on the preference for interaction with my dining companions.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    The waterfall island will only seat 3 comfortably. I have an island that same size, with legs in the corners (seating on 3 sides), and because of the legs (your waterfall sides), you need more room to get in and out. My 5'x8' island has never been a problem to clean.

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks for the feedback! @Patricia Colwell Consulting, the style of the kitchen is contemporary. No uppers, slab fronts. The app for the layout has limitations in incorporating other rooms, so it does look like hallways go to nowhere. I have attached an overall floor plan. It is very open, definitely more of west coast vibe to it.




  • 5 years ago

    Overall I’m a fan of the layout and style. Just curious, and sorry to deviate, what is the function of the large sink at the island? Is it unusual to see a larger sink at the island?Could you have a single basin sink under the kitchen window for dishes, pots and pans, and then a more functional, snazzy “workstation” sink with cutting boards, drainers, etc at the island for prep?

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    What about incorporating more wood in bottom of island to tie in with the wood shelving. It’s also a more laid back, warmer look. Design for 4 stools and consider how much width is enough vs overdoing.


  • 5 years ago

    @urchinsushi - The plan is for a 30" workstation sink, since it is a 36" cabinet, the app just adds the huge sink. I think those workstation sinks are so cool. @Maureen, I have been thinking about doing a warmer wood for the island. Or this idea of combining wood and stone https://pin.it/fCZiSCp

  • 5 years ago

    I switched from diner-style seating to social seating when we remodeled and I'm very happy. Much more of a conversational set up. IMO it's fine if you have that extra cabinet at the end. The more storage the better. I'm not a fan of waterfall counters. I think that will date your kitchen backwards several years. I'm not a kitchen designer, but that drawer stack next to the right-hand stool looks like it wants to be a beverage center.

    Lisa C thanked AJCN