Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scott_mecca

70s Split Level

Scott Mecca
3 years ago

Not a fan of my house...but trying to make it work. Need some ideas on exterior sprucing up/curb appeal. Attached are some before/after photos of minor work done .

Here is the house before anything was done.

Freshly painted shutters

recently painted brick to charcoal.

Any and all ideas are welcome.

Comments (15)

• lizziesma
    3 years ago

I think I would begin by removing the clutter and give it a good scrub. It would then be easier to see it with fresh eyes.

• Scott Mecca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Working on that...these are older photos.

• beesneeds
    3 years ago

Shame you painted the brick, that was nice. For sure clean up all the stuff in the yard. Siding could use a good power washing. Maybe move that hoop off to somewhere else and set that area up with attractive pots of plants and maybe some seating?

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Unless you want to do major changes. It’s basically going to look similar to how it looks now always. Definitely remove all clutter. Update landscape and remove the storm door.
    Ideally if budget wasn’t in the picture I’d do new windows. New door. New lighting. Extend the front porch. New driveway with lighting. New accessories ( mail box on street. Lights. House number )

Scott Mecca thanked HU-187528210
  • mccarthy367
    3 years ago

Declutter big time.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

wow...look too busy and messy for me

• houssaon
    3 years ago

I would paint the siding on the lower level gray to match the painted brick. Remove the shutters. Trim the bushes down about one third. They will be bare and twiggy, but will fill in nicely.

• Scott Mecca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Actually I am planning on removing them completely and possibly adding a porch.

• chloebud
    3 years ago

Definitely remove the shutters due to the size and style of the windows. I like Judy's color suggestions. The black windows with white trim are great.

Scott Mecca thanked chloebud
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago

Something else…I can see where the garage door was removed.

You should continue the green foundation plantings in front of it. Let the driveway end right at the front walk.

The amount of work you put into your home, will thrill the neighbors by increasing the value of their homes and, big time, because your home will increase in value, as well.

It’s all about comps. Every dollar spent on your neighbor’s house, helps the value of yours and vice versa.

Speaking of splits: you could rid of all the window A/C. units.

https://www.modernmec.com/best-places-to-install-ductless-mini-split-ac/

• njmomma
    3 years ago

Love @JudyG Designs advice!

Here is a tip, if you cannot remove the concrete to add plantings in front of the air conditioner, add a large planter with plants in that area.

• Scott Mecca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@JudyG Designs omg i think i need you in my life....or house at least. I love your ideas!

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

First, remove all the decor items from the house and yard. Since you opted to paint the brick, picking the gray was a good move. Paint the siding on the ground floor to match the brick. Remove the shutters; the siding may be discolored compared to what's been protected behind them, so plan a power wash and possibly new paint. Remove the carpet on the steps, paint the railings and your front door black. A tear out of the overgrown and straggly shrubbery will improve the house, and you may find new areas needing paint. Take photos to a local nursery that has knowledgeable people to help you select new plants that will thrive in your locale. Be sure to enlarge the bed under the bay window and add a curve to it that replicates what's above it. Looks like new HVAC is in your future. Unless you have pets or small children who play in the back yard, I would remove the CLF. It is industrial or farm fencing and is the one item that lowers the value of a home. Can the BB hoop and trash bins be moved to the back of the home so they don't contribute to the unsightliness of the home. You'll be surprised at how much curb appeal can be added with a simple cleanup of junky stuff that should not be features of a well maintained home.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago

Thanks, Scott Mecca, what a nice thing to say.