Software
Houzz Logo Print
john_buettner70

2021 Raleigh Spring Swap ????

5 years ago

Howdy Gardeners! I am thinking about hosting a plant swap this spring. I don't think the park where we usually hold the swap is renting out shelters yet, so I am considering just having it at my house in south Raleigh. The problems = 1. the pandemic is still going on. 2. I am a stickler for following the CDC guidelines. 3. there is limited parking at my house (but more than in a normal neighborhood). 4. I haven't been vaccinated yet (but should soon).


So. If we can come up with a way to break up into smaller socially distanced groups and come at different times...this could work. At a normal swap there are about 35 hardcore swappers and up to 10 husbands/partners/children. My guess is that there won't be that many at this time - probably less than 25, so we should fit nicely into the CDC guidelines. Unless there are a lot of new gardeners that want to join the fun. Maybe the thing to do is hold a swap for only the hardcore from swaps past and save the fall swap for a larger crowd back at the park.


Any ideas?? Any ideas on when to hold it? If we wait until May the parks may be renting again.

Comments (64)

  • 5 years ago

    Here's the eucalyptus today... We had such a mild winter, but it grew A LOT last year


    There was two growths originally and cut one off last spring/summer, you can see by the trunk how much it grew compared to the other (And it has bark now!!!)



  • 5 years ago

    Hmmm... Not sure pictures went through




  • 5 years ago

    Because I've been impatient waiting for it to appear, I made the side list trades thread: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6100024/spring-2021-raleigh-swap-special-side-trades


    I know that everything is still under consideration (and possible not to happen maybe?), but this is one of my favorite parts of spring and every time I go out in garden keep seeing possible plants I could divide. As well as looking at my excessive unthinned out amount of peppers I have going on right now in the garage... so figure now is a good time to determine if it's worth making new tags and separately potting anything.


    I hope making that thread isn't too presumptuous!

  • 5 years ago

    I'm in !

  • 5 years ago

    Swap! I’ve had to miss the last three years that we had them because of my husband‘s illness. I was dying to get back to a swap a year ago when Covid started, and I so much want to see you all. Thanks John for offering your house. May is fine with me and it seems a lot safer. We will be very well behaved.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I would love to attend this year and I am finally vaccinated. Yay!

  • 5 years ago

    Would love to come, just had my first shot as I was group 5 so May works! You’re brave offering your place as I’m known to carry zip lock bags for propagating material- Ha. Just kidding, I will be well behaved. And thanks!


  • 5 years ago

    Jaimie, the information about your Eucalyptus is of very high interest to zone pushers and fans of Mediterranean plants, so we implore you to publish a detailed report on this tree in the Carolina general forum thread on Mediterranean plants ( https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5386189/mediterranean-plants ), which has much better visibility to the community at large than this specialized thread.

    In particular, the following aspects are the most interesting:

    - when has it been planted out: the deep freeze event in January 2018 killed all Durham-area specimen known to us - most likely E. cinerea - 3 large trees and 2 of our own two years seedlings; it looks like your tree predates that event

    - what is the source of the plant and the species: if unknown, a closeup of the leaves could help to determine whether it is E. cinerea or E. neglecta (the latter is more hardy, to which we switched in 2019); it could also be E. gunnii, which has smaller leaves

    - has it ever bloomed?

  • 5 years ago

    Iamcgova, Woodsworm, I am glad we will be meeting you'll after a long time.


  • 5 years ago

    I would expect almost everyone will have the vaccine by the end of May and look forward to seeing you all again. I overwintered and have rooted cuttings of lots of coleus, African blue basil, Salvias like 'Wendy's Wish and S. oxyphora, Iresine, hostas, variegated Soloman Seal and a gorgeous red spreading petunia. I will have a couple dozen tomato varieties ready to plant in a couple of weeks, including over a dozen of Craig LeHoulier's dwarf varieties. Once they are ready I would like to have a limited sale and perhaps swap here at my house if I can figure out how to do it safely.

  • 5 years ago

    Good to hear from you Ralph!!!! Glad to know you are doing well! We got our 2 dozes already!

    The swap thread is on!!!

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6100024/spring-2021-raleigh-swap-special-side-trades#n=7

    Do you want anything from my trade list. I can set it aside for you.



  • 5 years ago

    I’m so excited about a swap that I might wet my plants!

  • 5 years ago

    good one! hehe!


  • 5 years ago

    Can’t wait!

  • 5 years ago

    Yay!!!! John, the best news today!!! I am in!!!!

  • 5 years ago

    I have no idea where it sent the long post about the swap. I will have to dig around and find it and move it to this forum.

  • 5 years ago

    I will try to make it.

  • 5 years ago

    Jaimie- just wait! That thing will take off and double in size in no time flat. Ours did a little shop of horrors growth spurt about year 3. We had to have it cut a few years back b/c i stupidly planted it too close to power lines (only good sun) i still miss it though. Great plant! It will bend about in half with ice storms.

  • 5 years ago

    Yeah, it grew an insane amount last year, I've been really impressed by it. I just shoved in ground one year expecting it to die, and instead it thrived. I need to measure it, but feel like it grew 12'+ last year, more than doubled it (and getting bark!)

  • 5 years ago

    yep- i liked to joke i could practically hear mine chuckling and growing at the same time. I was astounded at how fast it grew! It actually bloomed on one branch a couple years which apparently is usual here. I hated to cut it but it was seriously casting some shade (and i really don't have much sun) and the power line cuts had disfigured it so much... i kind of thought it would come back from the roots and i could maintain it that way but after a weak attempt at coming back it kicked up its heels. ah well.

  • 5 years ago

    Awww!!! Did yours ever get mature leaves? Been trying to determine when that would happen... I'd love to see it bloom but like the round leaves more than the mature ones, haha.

  • 5 years ago

    Sorry, but I have another commitment that day. Perhaps the next swap will work. I hope you all find treasures.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Jaime- yes we did! Up towards the top. And 1 branch that bloomed a couple years running. It was in my best sun but even that was only about 6 hours. We had it about 10 years or so. It was more than a foot across when we had it cut down- that's some crazy growth! The stump is still out there and i put pots on it each year. It's been about 4 years since we had it cut. Loved that shaggy bark ad the pink winter leaves and cool blue of the summer ones. I miss it but don't miss the shade it cast on everything. Nor worrying about it tangling with the power lines.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I would love to join as it seems like forever since we've been able to get together but safety is number one. Will continue to follow for details about when and where the swap will be held.


  • 5 years ago

    thinkingofplants it's this saturday at white deer 1-4p. no potluck. Come on out with your mask! (see first comment)

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Katie, would love to get up with you but i can't figure out how to reach out to you through here (other than this). Thank you for bringing the amazing japanese maples!


  • 5 years ago

    Hi Tamelask! I sent you a message on Houzz! I'm so happy you liked the maples!

  • 5 years ago

    Katie, I'm just blown away with all the amazing plants coming from your garden to mine. I really, really want to bring you something special in the fall, so be thinking about what's on your wish list.

  • 5 years ago

    Do anyone know where I can get a paper plant and a polygonatum odoratum? TY in advance..

  • 5 years ago
    • I have variegated Solomans Seal potted up and am selling them in gallon pots for $5 or trade for something of like value. I also have a Japanese paper bush which may have offshoots that I can pot up for you. - no charge if I have one. I am in the process of potting up several varieties of elephant ears if you are still interested in them. Ralph 919-610-4532
  • 5 years ago

    Jamie, I would like to talk with you about your dwarf ornamental peach trees. My tree died and I have traded or given away what I had left and I suddenly could use several preferably 2-year old or larger of these. Can we swap? See my phone number in the above post.

  • 5 years ago

    Karen, I will definitely be thinking about it!


    In the meantime, I am looking into a small greenhouse to grow my hobby. Are there any tips, advice, or brands you recommend? Looking for 8x8 up to 10x12 I think. I will be heating and cooling it, so any tips related to that would be great. Probably going to build a concrete pad with a drain as well.

  • 5 years ago

    Plant Sale - I have over 100 regular and dwarf tomato plants for which I am looking for a home along with multiple coleus, African Blue Basil and my special spreading perennial red petunia,Blood Leaf, etc. Any interest, email me (ralphwhisnant@earthlink.net) and I will send you the details.

  • 5 years ago

    Katie R., have you seen Vlad's Youtube videos about his greenhouse? For instance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKv0xyuPodc but there are many more in his channel, in particular about his recent rebuilding effort after a tree damage.

  • 5 years ago

    Katie, the first thing in thinking about greenhouses is to figure out what you want to grow and whether you'll use it all or just some months of the year. My greenhouse is different from Vlad's is different from John's, all great set ups but they have their individual strengths for what we each like to grow. I know from FB that you grow a lot of unusual aroids, and those will have their own set of needs, so if that's where you're looking to expand I'd start there. You should definitely look at Vlad's YouTube videos to see how he's engineered his greenhouse from a base model, including how to add height with a knee wall which is a great way to add more space. I think his floor is gravel, like mine. One reason I like gravel is that if we have prolonged dry weather, I can up my humidity by watering the floor, and I never have to worry about flooding or water standing during wet times. My aroids also really like putting their roots into it, in fact my Monstera deliciosa isn't planted in anything at all, just has roots going down into the gravel.

  • 5 years ago

    Hi ... This is Srini. I came late for the plant swap and ended up taking a bounty of plants home. Appreciate the group’s willingness to share. Sorry for the delay - took me a while to find this group in houzz

  • 5 years ago

    I discovered my inner gardener only this year ... hope you don’t mind my qns

  • 5 years ago
    1. got elephant ears. Planted them in full sun but yet to see growth spurt. Will the first summer season be subdued for this plant ? Not sure if I did something wrong
  • 5 years ago
    1. got hardy grapefruit and it went fully yellow n dried up. Now after moving to back deck is slowly coming back. The branches are literally turning green by the day. Is the recent spell of 90s too sudden for even full sun plants ? Even other full sun plants like blue salvia is not thriving ...
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Hello HU-69105704

    Welcome to the forum. I am glad you enjoyed the bounty and the swap meet. Please do Introduce yourself . What kind of plants you grow, want to grow , your interests etc.. Anything that you like to share with the group.

    Hope to see you, posting more often.

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks for the kind words "Sabji garden"

    I am Srini - an electrical engineer by profession, from south India. Me and my family moved to Cary in 2016. This year I have spending more time gardening. Started off with a kitchen garden - herbs, the usual tomato/ cucumber/ bell pepper etc; inherited some Hostas and Cannas. I also have Gardenias, Hibiscus, Hydrangea, Azalea, Jasmine, Coleus, Begonia plants.

    Inspired by Niren (who introduced me to this group and is my trusted adviser in all things green) I am trying to grow more native and/or pollinator friendly plants - got started off with Crocosmia, Hannas, Rudbeckia, Salvias, Honeysuckle, Passion flower + some Strawberry too :-)

    I am also trying to grow fragrant flowers - hopefully those that last into Fall when the Indian festival season starts. :-)
    -Srini

  • 5 years ago

    I hope everyone is doing well. I am still trying to find a home for all the plants I made while isolated by the pandemic. To that end I am having another plant sale the latter part of this week. If you are interested, send me an email (ralphwhisnant@earthlink.net) and I will reply with the details and plant list. I have over a dozen varieties of coleus, elephant ears, salvias, African Blue Basil, etc.

  • 5 years ago

    Hi Srini

    Good to hear from you. Niren Is indeed a knowledgeable Gardener. Glad you have found him.

    Ralph has wonderful plant choices. He has both vegetable and flowering Plants including Exotic plants. I am not sure if you met him at the swap. You must meet him. He is having a huge sale right now. Do connect with him. He has some amazing tomato varieties, besides eggplants and peppers. I meet him quite often. He is a wonderful person. Niren knows him too.


  • 5 years ago

    Hi Sabji - Thanks for the tip; will connect with Ralph


    Ralph - I saw your post few weeks ago and had emailed you. Not sure if that got stuck in Spam.

    I emailed you again today - pl reply.

    Thanks

    Srini

  • 5 years ago

    Created a account in houzz - test post ! :-)


  • 5 years ago

    Hi everyone!! I am looking at the calendar for our next swap. Due to my job with the state fair October will be way too busy so I need input on September. Does anyone have any conflicts in early or mid September??


  • 5 years ago

    My brother Melvin is getting married on the last Saturday, September 27th, so that date is out for us. October 2nd I have a class reunion. Otherwise, I am good. for September.