Software
Houzz Logo Print
seabrookd

Beveled subway tiles for shower

5 years ago

I'm thinking of using beveled 3 x 6 porcelain subway tiles in the shower stall. Will it be difficult to install and clean?

Comments (8)

  • 5 years ago

    I'm going the white beveled route actually. My bathroom is currently gutted but can't wait for the final look. I chose the 3x6 just because it was cheaper, but they did have 3x9 tiles as well. I have the beveled tile in my kitchen and I love it. I've seen beveled tile in the shower on pinterest and like the look as well.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    inside and outside corners, whats your tilers plan for those? especially if an offset or brick bond layout. You want to know exactly what the plan is......

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Contrarian here - I have 3" x 6" subway tiles in my shower as well as the rest of the tiled surfaces in my bathrooms. It isn't white as it is a crackled finish teal blue ceramic tile from Encore Tile.

    So far it hasn't been hard to maintain nor do I find it to look particularly busy. I don't know whether it is beveled. My tile is hand glazed and fired so that the edges appear like a natural beige (e.g. like fired pottery might look) and the grout was selected to blend and not contrast with the edges of the tile.

  • 5 years ago

    I don't squeegee my shower walls. I have a Panasonic fan which automatically turns on when ambient humidity levels are at a certain level. It turns on when the shower is used and then turns off at some point.


    Everything is very dry in my bathroom and there is no mold, mildew or any other issues arising from excess moisture.


    Do people seriously wipe down their showers every time they shower so the walls are dry? I don't squeegee my glass shower doors either - Showerguard really works well to prevent issues. When the bathroom is cleaned on its normal schedule which is not daily they are cleaned in the same way mirrors are cleaned.

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Most people have crappy bath ventilation and need to get rid of as much water off of the shower as possible.

  • 5 years ago

    If people are predicating advice on maintenance based on assuming inadequate ventilation, then recommend upgrading ventilation instead of advising people that they need to squeegee and towel dry a shower which is intended to have water on it frequently.


    An adequate fan is a relatively inexpensive investment if one is remodeling a bathroom.


    I can’t imagine there are households in which a shower is dried every time it is used.



  • 5 years ago

    I added ventilation to my bathroom, which it didn’t have before. The beveled tile is looking good. I’m getting lots of compliments from my family. I think it will be fine as long as the shower is cleaned as needed. Can use a softer brush for cleaning the tile as needed. But I don’t foresee any issues. I’ll include photos as soon as it’s completed