Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justarandomguy

Mushrooms in indoor plants

justarandomguy
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello!

There are some mushrooms in my Clusia rosea 'Princess'. I removed them along with some soil but they keep growing after some days.

Are they safe to keep with my plant? Should I repot changing completely the soil?

Thanks!

Comments (15)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

is that homemade media...??? ... what is it???

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Regardless of what the medium is the fungi are not harmful to the plant. They’ll shrivel and disappear.

3 years ago

correct .. but there is something in the media.. that is breaking down ... giving the shrooms something to feed off .. to 'use' ... usually some type of wood product ..

but then it can also be a water management issue ... if the media is not draining properly ...

hard to tell from the pic.. but it doesnt look like common media .. hence the ????

also.. if you sterilize your media in advance... you probably wouldnt end up with such ...

i suppose ... the only downside to leaving them.. is if they drop spore... and prolong or increase the spawn ... hey.. i dont know much of anything about shrooms.. so i dont know if the words are correct .. or if its possible.. im just throwing it out there ...

mushrooms are one of the composters in nature.. breaking down wet wood .... e.g. ... very often seen in lawns.. after large trees are removed.. as the huge root mass rots over the years ...

ken

https://tipnut.com/sterilize-soil/

• Ekor Tupai
    3 years ago

I think it's better if you change your soil. There're many disease because of fungi. Mycelia that spread in soil like white web can be dangerous, prevent root absorb water and nutrition it needed. The mushroom which is their generative appearance look friendly and live for short, but down there the mycelia live for very long and invasive. On severe case, farmers should burn their crop and abandon their land for some time to prevent the spread of the disease.

3 years ago

is not a reliable indicator of watering habits that need correction, or even a poor medium.

===>>> thats why i said 'might' and offered to discuss his media if she so wished ...

only one caveat ... if you have kids around ... maybe you dont want them foraging in your houseplants ... and the whole how hard it is to ID mushrooms ... im not saying these are bad.. but i wouldnt eat them.. or want the kids coming up with any bright ideas ..

ken

• justarandomguy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all for your comments, much appreciated.

I don't have kids or pets so my main concern was if the fungus itself would damage the plant / roots.

The soil is an universal one:

https://www.brico.be/fr/jardin-ext%C3%A9rieur/plantes-pots/terreau/terreau-universel-central-park-70l/5154526

Its true that recently I have watered it recently with water after boiling banana peels. I don´t know if this could be the reason for the decayed matter.

Something that seems unusual is that the soil around the fungus turned brown after a day.

I ended up removing them and the top layer of soil but I am pretty confident they will come back again soon.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Most mushrooms that appear in potted plants/containers are saprophytic, meaning they are feeding off of any dead or decaying organic matter included in that soil mix. Since virtually ALL container soils include some sort of organic matter, they are often hard to avoid :-) So not pathogenic and not harmful to the plants growing in that soil.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    3 years ago

Ken - I wasn't addressing you - just reflexively dispelling the conventional jumped to conclusion that fungi fruits are necessarily indicative of over-watering or a soggy medium.

Al

• socks
    3 years ago

Ok, I have to ask. Why are you boiling banana peels? Sounds interesting.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

The brown soil is probably the released spores. I assume that’s what’s visible under the mushroom front left?

• justarandomguy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have been advised that Banana boiled water is a good potassium boost to plants. A DIY fertilizer.

And yes, the brown soil is slightly visible in the picture. I removed the fungus and a layer of soil and there is no new intruder today. Let's see if they come back.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

There really wasn’t any need to remove either fungi or soil. If it happens again you can save yourself the trouble. As to the banana peel, do your plants need more potassium?

• Ekor Tupai
    3 years ago

Fungal disease in potted plants are common. You can googling it in no time. If you let them grow into generative form, it spore can fly and spread into other potted plants . In wildlife, small plants usually won't grow near places where mushroom appear. Even not compete in nutrien, they compete on taking up surface soil space.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    3 years ago

JARG - dosing plants with boiled banana broth has far more potential to be a bane than a boon. Here's why ........ the potassium (K) in bananas can only be considered helpful if K is the most deficient of all nutrients plants generally assimilate from the grow medium, usually by way of K being part of the fertilizer in the soil solution. If K is NOT the nutrient in shortest supply, your super tonic has only the potential to be a limiting factor. If K is in the middle or near the bottom on a "scarcity scale" adding K so the its concentration is greater in comparison to other nutrients A) unnecessarily raises the amount of nutrients in the soil solution, and B) can make it more difficult for the plant to take up nitrogen, calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, and boron. We might as well add to the list C) which is, fungus gnats are going to love it.

Because the potential to cause limitations instead of contributions to the plant's well being is so great when trying to increase the amount of a single nutrient because you heard the plant needs it, it should be avoided. It is FAR better to choose a complete fertilizer that contains ALL essential nutrients plants normally get from the soil. Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 soluble is probably the best product out there for that. Michigan State University orchid fertilizer in the 3:1:2 ratio does the job as well as the FP, but the price is much greater, so it doesn't make sense to go that route.

In the same vein, people who dose with Epsom salts for its magnesium content more often shoot themselves in the foot for the reasons I mentioned. If you're on top of your nutritional supplementation program, you'll be working toward maintaining not only the presence of essential nutrients in the soil solution in a form accessible to the plant, you'll also be taking steps to ensure the ratio of those nutrients (one to the others), and, the overall level of all nutrients dissolved in the soil solution (the soil's TDS [total dissolved solids]) are appropriately regulated. for 99.999% of hobby growers, this can be achieved by flushing the soil regularly to "reset" nutrient ratios as close to zero as possible, followed immediately by an appropriate solution strength of a fertilizer with an appropriate ratio of all essential nutrients.

Al