Software
Houzz Logo Print
kbatiancila

curb appeal help

5 years ago

I'm getting some good landscape advice on the other forum so now looking for home/curb appeal advice. we are looking to change siding (color ideas?) front door color, perhaps add a portico for a grander entrance. we live in a walking neighborhood with tall trees and a huge mix of homes and styles, some siding some stone. Mine is definitely one of the least interesting to look at! I really dislike the siding color, the weird mid roof and the plain entrance. Thanks!

Comments (18)

  • 5 years ago

    Would you consider white with black trim? Maybe a soft white...something like Ben Moore's Swiss Coffee.


  • 5 years ago

    What bothers me the most is the driveway right up to the house. I'd have a large, solid planter in front of the house that takes up the entire width of the driveway. I'd even go far as to put rocks down in that area and make it look like an intentional rock garden. Two nice sized sconces on with side of the door would look nice. I'd also consider installing a window box on the upper window above the driveway. Good luck. Love walking neighborhoods.

  • 5 years ago

    Cor I agree, that used to be a garage. it was converted before we bought it but they kept the driveway up to the house. The way it is no we can fit both of our cars in the driveway so I will have to convince my husband to lose that plus :)

  • 5 years ago

    What’s your favorite color? Like no matter how many times you look at it you love it?
    Classic combos I think would look good is dark blue siding and red door
    Barn red siding and trim with black door
    White siding with black trim and gutters and a front door of any color of your choosing! I don’t mind the driveway but I wish the path to the front door was centered, because then you could line with flowers. Very lovely home won’t take much! Again out door lights are always great sconces one or two each side. If you doooo change the path you could have some lining the driveway or path way!

  • 5 years ago

    Julie I have always wanted a blue house! I do also want it to "fit in" with the rest of of street too, you can see how my house is kind of nestled in here in this pic. it is the first way I ever saw our house when I peered down the street so I love how it is on the slight curve. the pathway was so tricky when we did it...I have 3 kids and I just knew any acting along the driveway like that would get trampled! they use their bikes, basketball net up there and is often a neighborhood kid hangout. I can barely keep grass growing next to the steps because there are always kids hanging and playing. It is a good problem to have!

  • 5 years ago

    .

  • 5 years ago

    Omg I say go for blue! There are so many different shades of blue siding!
    And kid hub makes my heart sing! That is way more important than where a path goes ;)

  • 5 years ago

    I think it would be nice to have 2 sturdy posts on either side of the front door, from the overhang down to the steps or the ground outside of the steps.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Blue house white trim and shutters with portico and porch to go across where you have that mid piece. Flower beds bordering your walk and a nice lamp post at the end and more of a flower bed for that corner if you city allows it. White picket fence and gate with arbor at tour front walk entrance if allowed?

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    A trellis over the left bottom window also. Beautiful home and neighborhood.

    Can't wait to see how it turns out!

  • 5 years ago

    The roof is not the issue. The front door looks like a back door. You need some type of portico to make it more important. Maybe widen the front porch to the left to allow space a nice pot with an attractive plant in it.

  • 5 years ago

    Here are some blues and some portico styles to consider.

    Wayne Classic Colonial Full House Renovation · More Info


    Colonial Exterior Remodel, Deep Ocean Blue Color James Hardie Siding, Deerfield · More Info


    Marvin Ultimate Windows & Artisan James Hardie Siding Glencoe, IL · More Info


    Dutch Colonial Style Home - Park Ridge, IL in James Hardie Siding & Trim · More Info


  • PRO
    5 years ago

    While I was working on this mock up, y’all ran with blue. I assumed you have a tight budget, so I changed the shutters and improved your landscaping to create better curb appeal on a dime! Haha. I used a dark green for shutters and your front door and added greens and magenta flowers to your yard.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    We had a home built in 1900 that we “restored”. We loved the blues used then even thought most used whites. So we went with a Wedgewood Blue and white trim. Loved it.

  • 5 years ago

    Flo that looks so nice! We are planning on adding some sort of portico so not the smallest budget and the siding that is there is just kind of faded and old. but I really like the darker shutters! But you read my mind with the landscaping...we are getting ready to pull out the very old dark ewe hedge to the right, it is a property line hedge under my neighbors sugar maple and I hate it. I like the idea of expanding the gardens that way...

  • 5 years ago

    I would go with white for the body of the home. It’s always in style and always classic. The next owners may not like blue. Also I would use black shutters and add a portico over the lower windows on the driveway section. Good luck and keep us posted.

  • 5 years ago

    The once upon a time there was a garage kills the front. A driveway just has not visual reason to be there now. It would have to be totally removed for it to ever look great. Is there room for parking next to the house?

  • 5 years ago

    Arcy yeah can't really do much about the driveway. we do need it and don't want to park on the street all the time. all the other homes in our area have similar dilemmas so at least we are not alone. I do like the pergola idea over that window to bring some green...