Software
Houzz Logo Print
idattu

Ideas needed for kitchen lighting.

5 years ago

We finally got to the place where we could update our 35 year old kitchen. The cabinet doors were literally falling off. There was a partial wall (with a pass through) that blocked line of sight and pretty much kept the kitchen closed off.


In addition to the old and very ugly cabinets the primary light fixture was a dingy beige behemoth of a track lighting system. The primary problem with replacing it is that the electric box was installed way off center of the space. Unfortunately, we have popcorn ceiling which makes patching the old canopy hole a challenge.


I purchased a light with an offset canopy, thinking I could balance out the 'imbalance'... but the light selected is too small.... and just not a good fit for our space. I did see online a track lighting system that had a 'floating canopy' and a flexible track... but I'm not real sure that a track light is a good fix for this room. I kinda like the ones that suspend from cables.. but my wife is not fond of those.


So.. the only other solution (and it is not without its own challenges) is to use LED flush lights in the ceiling. My thinking is that I can space those equally in relation to the existing track light hole... and just have sort of an 'ambient' lighting instead of a 'fixture'. One of the challenges with this is that since we have a sloped ceiling.. whether that could cast the light in a sort of angled way. I did see some with the ability to angle but only bi-directional (gimbal).


The color on the walls in the new kitchen is the same as the green on the 'before' pic. It is cloudy this morning and the light is muted so photos are not very true to color.


If this was your kitchen... how would you approach this. Our decorating style (if you can call it that) is somewhat modern/transitional.... so we don't want to get too 'flashy'. Any suggestions/ideas are appreciated. Thanks!






Comments (22)

  • 5 years ago

    sloped ok

    Salm Adjustable LED Chandelier, Black · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    Thanks for the response 'everdebz'. Originally, I did look at some pendants for this location... but with our electric box being off-center pendant light hang too close to the cabinet doors. I am hoping to find a way to 'center the light' without having to try and patch the popcorn ceiling. I appreciate you input.

  • 5 years ago

    I think you are creating a problem that is not necessary.


    There are dozens of you tube videos showing how to patch popcorn ceilings. My husband fell through the ceiling when he was doing something in our crawlspace. We had to patch a body sized hole and managed to do so without anyone being able to see the patch. I am sure you can successfully patch a small hole.


    If I were renovating I would be removing the popcorn. It is easy to do if the popcorn doesn't contain asbestos (Banned in 1977). There are plenty of you tube videos for this project as well.


    Once you get beyond this issue you can get any light you want.



  • 5 years ago

    Thanks Jennifer... for your response. I would very much like to remove the popcorn ceiling... but as the ceiling in the kitchen extends into the dining area and the Living Room... it is a very large project. I got an estimate a few years back and it was heart arresting (part of living in So. Florida). I'm old and retired and the chemo has not been without its effects, but if I were younger I might try to take it on. I did manage to patch the small holes where the old track light came down (about 1/2" wide) but I can still tell where the patches are.


    The cabinet guys removed that one partial wall in the kitchen and when I contacted a drywall guy to come and drywall in where it was cut back... he gave me a price of $2,200... and that was if he could complete the job in the one day. I ended up doing that myself which required some 'tippity top' ladder work but that was a fraction of the work required for removing popcorn on a large vaulted ceiling.


    I am just still at the stage where I am not even sure what type of lighting would look (and work) best, even without the awkwardly placed hole. I have pendant lights over the desk and over the dining table and not sure that one more pendant would be too many. I may try installing those flush mounted LED lights if no other solution presents itself. Thanks!

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I saw pendant's shape - is like a disk? I wondered if another disk type might fit in ok... could be white to not show so much.

  • 5 years ago

    Did you look into the flexible track which can roam all over your ceiling and can hold some pendants too?

    Kitchen examples · More Info


    Terry Widner thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 5 years ago

    So near the ceiling, to me not so different than track lights, oh well. :)

    https://www.lampsplus.com/products/possini-euro-sphaira-40-inch-wide-chrome-led-ceiling-light__9j450.html

  • 5 years ago

    Online searched adjustable arm led chandelier

  • 5 years ago

    The rings of the ceiling light are 90° rotatable; this light can help you make full use of your imagination, you can design the light to multiple shapes by 90° adjustable petal; Easy to install with instruction included.

    https://www.amazon.com/Chandelier-Dimmable-Ceiling-Royal-Pearl/dp/B07Q1N4PKR/ref=pd_di_sccai_1?pd_rd_w=oJgNH&pf_rd_p=c9443270-b914-4430-a90b-72e3e7e784e0&pf_rd_r=T1EJ0739BWFVHSHEZ0XF&pd_rd_r=a59dff71-a82c-4bfd-91b2-a8063b152824&pd_rd_wg=hxjTG&pd_rd_i=B07Q1N4PKR&psc=1

  • 5 years ago

    Costco and HDepot sell inexpensive LED flush lights. Could place over desk for matching look.

  • 5 years ago

    I’m not sure I understand the mechanical challenges, and I really did see that you said you don’t want to get to flashy, but wondering if one of these might solve your problem. Admittedly, unusual choices



    40872-CH-LED Craftmade Aura 2 Light 70 3/4" LED Single Tier Island Light · More Info


    Trizel 44" Chandelier, Silver/Chrome · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    @Terry Widner - I can completely relate. Bought a fixer 4 years ago, got diagnosed with cancer while in escrow, the following spring I fractured 4 vertebra and had a heart attack in 2019. Renovations are going way slower than I originally planned and unfortunately the reno budget was hit hard by all the medical expenses.


    I sometimes think the pros don't want the small jobs and jack up the price to avoid them. A good handyman that is willing to do small jobs is worth their weight in gold.


    I think I would still attempt a patch and paint job on the ceiling. Even if it isn't perfect the only person who is going to look close enough at your ceiling to notice is you.


    I am a bit of a perfectionist, but have learned to relax as I have done renovations and helped others with renovations. Had to learn that sometimes good is good enough.

  • 5 years ago

    @decoenthusiaste Funny you should ask that. I have had one of the flexible track lighting systems occupying two of my 'browser tabs' for several weeks now. I do like how you can bend into any shape.... and that the canopy is floating. This approach has been one of the two most likely candidates thus far.


    My education was in Ornamental Horticulture (Landscape Design) and on the exterior I am able 'see' in my head what a planting will look like... even taking in the considerations of seasonal changes, different flowering times, leaf texture, color variations, differing plant growth rates, how the combination of plants will look over time (maturation), and of course, most importantly, cultural requirements. But yet..... on the interior I draw blanks... and find it difficult to 'foresee' how something as simple as a light fixture will look. Case in point is that misfit fixture we have up now. (-:


    So, thanks very much for the suggestion... as it helps in my consideration of which direction to head. I also like those suspended track lighting systems but my good wife isn't fond of them. She is 'okay' with the light that is up now... but I find it uncomfortably awkward looking.

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks @everdebz , I appreciate the links. The circular one is too fancy for our place. If we had nice, crisp ceilings and newer construction I could see that one. Our condo is 35 years old and is a bit too 'mellow' for that one, I guess. The other one (Cressida) I like too... but since the ceiling is slanted that would force the light 'column' to be on a slant as well. I really like how those lights are adjustable along the track and also directional. Appreciate all your time and input. Best.

  • 5 years ago

    @Jennifer Hogan Wow! Jennifer, sounds like you've had more than your share. Yeah, 'moving the hole' is still an option... but if we do, I still haven't figured out the best type of lighting for that space. I am one of those folk that can 'over think' something... and like you say, want it to be 'perfect'. Thanks for the insight.

  • 5 years ago

    Do you have a lighting showroom near you? I found that our local York Lighting store was extremely helpful and had great recommendations.


    Do you have under cabinet lighting?

  • 5 years ago

    @Jennifer Hogan Yes... we will be getting under cabinet lighting soon. Just before I install the backsplash. The backsplash is rather dark but my wife really likes it.... (but I ordered some two sided sticky tape from Amazon so I can tape it up to see how it will look).


    We do have a couple of decent lighting showrooms nearby and may revisit them again.


  • 5 years ago

    If you are getting the under counter lighting, have a hood with lights over the stove you have the much of the task lighting needs fulfilled.


    Other task lights you may need are over the sink, island, desk. Do you have sufficient light and lighting that you are happy with in these areas?


    I have found when I have good task lighting I seldom need to turn on the overhead (ceiling) lights, but they are nice to have.


    I think simple, unobtrusive cans could be added for the overhead lighting, Could you place those so that one of them ends up in the hole where your light box is currently located?



  • 5 years ago

    As to ceiling light nearest appliances and work area -- it doesn't seem to show from the living areas... 'best' and good 'luck' to you!