Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hunny1116

Landscape Ideas?

Patty R
3 years ago

Any ideas for landscaping this side of our house? I’m stumped. We live on a corner, and this side is visible to the street. It faces east and gets morning sun until about noon. I have a camellia by the bird bath that I love. The other bushes are sweet olive except a bay bush towards the front that is coming out. I thought about some floribundas, but there’s only morning sun. The front of the house has a porch and is landscaped in a more relaxed style (dwarf gardenias, drift roses) as opposed to traditional. Thanks for any suggestion!

Comments (3)

• Beachlover
    3 years ago

If you want a pop of color, you may want to consider hydrangeas. They only need a bit of morning sun and thrive in the shade. You may want to avoid planting any hydrangeas near a tree because they will compete for soil nutrients. If you want unique foliage, you may want to consider caladium. This plant is meant to live in the shade, so if the morning sun is hot where you live, you may want to avoid this plant. Hostas are hardy plants that thrive in the shade and come in different varieties. Since this side of your home gets a little bit of sun, lighter or variegated varieties would be best.

Patty R thanked Beachlover
  • mindshift
    3 years ago

First off, many of the shrubs look to be planted too close to the house. I'm amazed the large shrub on the left is hugging the wall instead of leaning away from it. It's definitely too late to move that one, but remember that if a plant is expected to be 6' wide at maturity it should be planted 3' away from a wall, fence or path.

David Austin roses grow well with a half day of sun. Floribunda roses also do well. Here is a LIST of roses recommended for part shade. Remember to pay attention to the expected mature size and plant accordingly.

Fill in around and in front of the shrubs with perennials. Any perennial that will take part shade should do just fine, which gives you a very large selection. Look for some that bloom in each season. Visit a local nursery to see what they advise for your climate and soil. Most perennials only need dividing after 3 years, so they don't require a lot of attention. And until perennials fill in you can use annuals to add interest. When this bed is full of plants you won't need mulch because the plants will cover the soil.

Patty R thanked mindshift
  • Patty R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you both for taking the time to reply! Beachlover, I love the idea of the hydrangeas and caladiums. We are in the deep south, but I do have some areas that are shaded most of the day. And, hostas, I hadn't thought of them! Mindshift, yes, we inherited the large shrub and have been thinking of taking it out as it is so close to the house. Also, wasn't aware that shade tolerant roses may be an option. I'll definitely check those out along with the perennials. Have seen some petite knockout roses I may be able to use to fill in as well. Such great suggestions. Thanks again!