oklamoni

April 2021 Week 3

OklaMoni

Good morning folks! Not much longer, and we will get to visit, swap plants and eat with one another. Yippeee

My fig tree is ALIVE!

• dbarron

Morels tend to be where abundant decomposing plant material accumulates yearly (maple, sycamore, apple trees).

• Larry Peugh

Thanks, Danny, I have never really looked for morels. I have always had a very simple, dime store diet.

Nancy, I planted some flower seeds in the wildlife garden today, some were some you sent. Along with those flowers I also planted a row of about 75' of sugar beets, no reason other than I have never seen sugar beets grow before. I also placed some flower seeds in a flat to go the light shelf, I don't ever remember starting flower seed inside. I placed a pack of lavender seed in a flat, also some partridge pea seed in the other end of the flat.

I had my young helper down today for about 3 hours. I love being with that young man, he is eager to try anything I ask of him. He used the small tractor to disc up areas in the pasture where the hay rings had sat and planted clover seed, then disc the area where we planted flowers, or he planted flowers, I could not walk that far, but I can ride the rtv and give instructions. I know that it is a waste of money to have to hire so much done, but I have a hard time just sitting around, and he wants the money. My helper's dad had told me that the boy was adopted in his early teens, and I was the closest thing to a grandpa the boy has, and I love being his grandpa.

OLLD Bar Saturday, VI April MMXIII

Have some old mathis and wonder where are any songs like that anymore? Got my youngest son hooked on Dean Martin too when he was about 12. 15 now, still likes him along with all his own stuff. Got a thik for all the old Italian stuff, Jerry Vale, all that 60's stuff I heard in the kitchen on Sunday mornings when my mother made the meatballs and gravy!

POLL: April Checklist

Wow, spring cleaning has really changed since my mother was a kid. [g] They had feather matresses and had to cut them open and wash and hang out to try the mattress cover and then fill them back up again every spring, in addition to scrubbing every inch of the house. 'Refreshing the mantle' really wasn't on the list. [g]

Help! Spent weeks trying to decide a kitchen color. oak kitchen advice

Also, I wanted to add we wound up painting samples on white poster board. Tbh I didn't notice it make that much of a difference but it was certainly more convenient to move around the room vs painting all over the place. One thing I've learned from this experience is that unless you're totally gutting your room, you need to learn to work with what you have. Initially I had my heart set on going with gray and using in a very popular color like Revere pewter. But in reality my cabinets are still stuck in the 90s. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Bleeker beige. In fact it's one of my favorite colors. I also happen to be one of those people who prefers beige over gray, so my opinion might be slightly biased. But I really felt like finding something that worked with what was there, versus trying to make it look fresh and trendy with the gray, it made more sense and looked much better. Once the paint is up it will certainly look updated especially now that the cabinets have new hardware and stainless steel appliances. But it won't look like I was trying too hard. In my opinion it is very hard to find gray paint that works with oak. I'm not saying it can't be done but it just doesn't "work" for me. To each their own, and it's not to say I won't use revere pewter in another room but trying to make it work in a 90's oak kitchen just didn't make sense.

Help! Kitchen remodel quoted 6 weeks.. now on week 12!

Remodeling1840 That's exactly what we did! Had all my appliances by Feb 1st. Sinks, faucets disposal etc all by end of January. He just didn't do his job. He didn't look at any of the specs for any of the appliances. He didn't even do the water spout for the Subzero correct (because he said he knew what it needed and didn't bother to read the installation directions) and the installer had to redo it. My main thing I wanted was an ice maker. He didn't read the specs and when plumber came, didn't put in drain or line... so now its a big mess and the solution he has is not acceptable so I am not getting my ice maker. There have been many little things, that he says are fine, but we don't agree. GreenDesigns All of these delays are from his poor planning. Not ordering when he should have. We are sitting for 4 weeks with absolutely nothing going on. Waiting.
  • dbarron

Well, due to HIS illness, my forager companion cancelled today. This in constrast to two weeks ago, when I cancelled due to eye infection. We have attempted to reschedule to Thursday. I really did want to get out of the house...and I really wanted some native greens. Consequently, I had to make a grocery store run for veggies.

Ah well, I think we had a mild T-storm that I slept mostly through this afternoon. With the constant wind we've had over much of the last month, the rain refresh is welcome (no little boats required yet).

Hey, has the site been updated (again) to the point that you can no longer separate GW from Houzz? Quite recently, I was able to browse the most recent threads for GW activity, now it's (for me?) hopelessly muddled with irrelevant (for me) Houzz project threads.

• jlhart76

Danny, I use my phone and most of the time when I search it gives the option to search this forum, or the entire thing. Other times it doesn't.

• OklaMoni

I spent way to much time working in the yard yesterday. So so sore. I cut all the dead branches and the really BIG branches out of my glossy abelia. Then weeded, and tackled Bermuda relocation (to the garbage can) and finally went to the back yard and planted more marigolds. I need to see about potting up stuff I can bring to the fling.

I wish, they would quit jerking us around.... but then it is their site....

I spent way to much time working in the yard yesterday. So so sore. I cut all the dead branches and the really BIG branches out of my glossy abelia. Then weeded, and tackeled Bermuda relocation (to the garbage can) and finally went to the back yard and planted more marigolds. I need to see about potting up stuff I can bring to the fling.

Does anyone want some comfrey (got it from Dawn).

EDIT:

I had to make a new shortcut on my laptop to get back here again. Thank goodness I had saved the link I had, when I made the original post this morning.

Good luck everyone for getting in here again. :)

Moni

• Kim Reiss

Yes Moni I would like comfrey

• Megan Huntley

Good morning all!

I’m finally caught up and looking at the clock, have enough time left on the treadmill for plenty of rambling here.

I woke up Saturday morning, ready for my covid shot. Not really, but as ready as I was gonna get. I thought I’d allowed myself enough time to meander through my garden and uncover the things that had been covered due to threat of hail the night before. Double checked my appointment time and it was 30 minutes earlier than what was in my head. I raced to the garden and uncovered stuff and hustled to my appointment. Made it in time. Whew!

My appt was moved from a place near my house to across town in an area with a lot of mid-century era homes. This makes for good thrift shopping. I hit a couple of shops and found a 70s era correll ware plate with a pattern that today would be called boho. It will make a good plant saucer. I also hit up an antique shop that’s also part junk shop while on that side of town. One booth was all Mexican inspired metal garden decor. Think the large barrel cactus and agave decorations. I found a metal horney toad that looks amazing in my micro prairie.

I headed home after that and shortly after started feeling the effects of the shot. Saturday was mostly fatigue and a sore arm. Sunday a little clamminess and slight fever. I tried to power-thru but that just made me more tired, so I ended up taking it super easy. I was current on all the garden requests/youtubes I keep up with. I ended up watching a few episodes of the British program Gardeners World. I know “need“ to convert the remaining sections of my grass to a berry patch and an ornamental herb garden. ;) The bit that I did walk away with that is realistic was growing conditions for my thyme. I need to make some changes to its growing medium.

Right now, the kiddo and I are attempting to start yellow puff (Neptunia lutes) one of the native sensitive briars but this one doesn’t have thorns. Our first go round appears to be a flop. There is very little info out there on this plant and it’s apparently very rare, so I need to not rely on my memory and actually document our efforts. I do know it will tolerate my conditions. I found it growing in an undeveloped lot less than half a mile from my house. The owners or property managers now the ditch strip but let the files go wild until late summer. I’m grateful they do because it is absolutely covered with antelope milkweed and misc wildflowers but the mowing keeps the bradfords from overtaking it like has happened on other lots that aren’t properly cared for.

Well, my treadmill time is up. Fingers crossed that this post actually takes.

• hazelinok

I see your post, Megan.

Day off work...where to begin? A list is helpful. A list is where to begin. Probably won't do much gardening other than putting the next new raised bed together. Tom got the boards cut for me last night.

And watering the plants in the hoop house.

The house needs attention and I'm going to attempt to move some things around so that the cats feel comfortable in the utility room again (to eat, use litter box). If I get Josi completely out of there, it could work. I dislike having litter boxes outside of the utility room and would like to put them all back to that location.

Josi needs to sleep near us because she is not a loner type of dog. I dislike cat "pay back" though. lol

Hoping we get a bit of rain and prepared to cover stuff if a frost shows up.

Moni, someone over at the SF plant sharing thread wanted comfrey. Most of my plants are sort of large and would be difficult to dig up, but I can try. If yours are smaller it might be easier for her to have success with transplanting.

Oh...that's another thing. I need to take inventory of share plants.

• Rebecca (7a)

And on today’s episode of “Did I plant that on purpose?”

• Rebecca (7a)

• dbarron

I think so....because I think I know what it is ;)

• Nancy RW (zone 7)

I'm so tired of IDing Lincoln's, mine, others. But that one Rebecca, I know about as well as an asparagus fern or dandelion. Yay for me. LOL No doubt you planted it on purpose. That's mean. keep thinking thinking thinking........................

Last year when I planted all that stuff at Lincoln, most of which was native, I had no idea with the plants would look like--nor what the seedlings would. And am totally not familiar with many of them yet. So I had Picture This out a LOT yesterday. I think it's a "smart" app, as it seems to be learning well, and is more accurate than not this year. But there is one plant that is perplexing me, on a couple different levels. Picture This says it's horse weed, and there are half a dozen clumps of it over there. While I totally suspect it might be, not SURE. Also. . .if it IS, do I want to leave it. Looks like it's a host for many insects! Maybe a compromise would be to keep half of them. And fleabane. . . there's only a couple of them, so I guess I'll keep them.

We saw signs of life on John's 7 Vitex bushes. just a little coming up from the base. Well, good for him. The frostweed I put in last year is healthy and hearty. I don't remember seeing any milkweed up yet--but I think it comes up late.

And speaking of that, Kim and Jen. . . no pineapple sage. I went out to cut some and then remembered that it always comes up late, also. I think when it DOES, I'm going to dig the entire thing up and take it to Lincoln. It will LOVE it there.

• dbarron

Yep, no hibiscus or milkweed up here...but almost everything else. Including one lantana and my beautyberry (yes sprouts on trunk just barely above ground).
    Do you want to be surprised or would you like me to disclose the plants likely identity ?

• Nancy Waggoner

LOL re suppressing the ID. I'm glad to hear your beauty berry showed up, too.

I really think our four lantana (2 there, 2 here) will show up--especially here since they were so heavily mulched.

Lori Darling did a drive-by today. She threw plants in my car, I threw plants in hers. Nice seeing her, if only for about 10 minutes. And it was such an important plant trade: asters for asters. Hilarious!

Speaking of, those glorious asters tataricus are spreading beautifully. I am so excited! And the penstemons! Do the rest of you have penstemons? Now the thick bunch of echinacea in the center bed seem to be thinning out a bit. I'm not liking that. And I do have 5 clumps of the echinacea by the shop bed, but only 3 are purpurea. The others are cultivars that pollinators aren't fond of. . . so don't do that, folks. Stick to echinacea purpurea. I had one little bitty clump of goldenrod here last year, and am delighted that the clump has sized up beautifully!

Well, later, friends!

• Megan Huntley

Prepare to be shocked... it hailed at my house tonight. Tiny stuff and it came down slow, because everything was protected, which I almost didn’t do but better judgement prevailed.

• Rebecca (7a)

I’ll probably slap my own forehead when y’all tell me what it is, but back to back to back (to back to back...) 10 hour days make me not remember my own name sometimes.

• dbarron

Rebecca, thy likely name is heliopsis helianthoides (false sunflower). Now did you or did you not plant that there last year ? Oh my god, if I only weren't the person on the other end of this quite frequently, though I have gotten much better at recognizing plants than I used to be.

I got up and it's raining...not overly surprising here at Rain Central. It's been slack enough this year that my north side plants aren't drowning (yet). I hope it doesn't either turn super dry or turn into the swamp of Springdale. Middle grounds are nice. Oh, and other than Gulf Coast penstemon (P tenuis) no penstemon can take my wet conditions. It's about to bloom, it's typically one of those reseed around plants, small flowered but pretty. It sometimes seems to find every pot I have in the backyard to sprout in (but hasn't for a few years). I could kinda wish it would spread some more...I may have to manually assist (collect seeds).

• Rebecca (7a)

Danny, don’t remember planting anything with that name. Are there other common names for it?

• Larry Peugh

We got rain also. I had left my plants out on the porch and deck. The plants on the deck got flooded. I use no-drain flats because It helps to not drop water in the house when I carry them in and out. I leaned the flats up against other things on the porch for them to drain, then I will move them under the roof because it looks like we may get more rain.

My helper and I planted flower seeds in the wildlife garden day before yesterday. We did not cover the seeds, I was hoping the rain would do it for me. If we had had more time I would have had him cover them for me, but I think that the rain will cover enough seed to cause a pretty flower bed along the highway.

I fertilized my potatoes yesterday and tilled down each side of the row. The potatoes look pretty good, even though I dont know what I am doing.

I tossed 10-20-10 fertilizer around them. I dont use much fertilizer, but this is new ground in the wildlife garden and the soil test said it could stand a little help.

I feel like I must be Danny's neighbor, because I have to deal with too wet conditions most of the year, I had to use the larger tractor to pull the pickup out of the mud when I took my tiller to the wildlife garden. The day before I had to use the larger tractor to pull my renter out of the mud in the pasture. I guess that is the price you have to pay when you live in a low valley.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)

• Nancy RW (zone 7)

Okay, now I have no idea what's what. lol When I first saw your photo, Rebecca, I assumed it was an echinacea variety. Then after Danny said heliopsis, I thought, "Yeah, maybe that's what it is." I could see you ordering a heliopsis variety. I've not called them anything else, but a lot of nurseries have cute names for various cultivars of that family. In the photos above, 1 and 4 are 2 of my echinacea. #2 is a heliopsis, and #3 is yours.

Good luck. LOL

What kind of fertilizer are you using for the potatoes, Larry. I need to get out and fertilize my onions! And what kind of flowers did you and helper plant?

That penstemon is gorgeous, Danny! I do love penstemons, just wish they' bloomed longer, of course.

I noticed a plant blooming this morning--walked over to see--it's tradescantia and is lovely. It must have come in the shipment I ordered from Missouri Wildflower Nursery last year. It's way different than my purple ones.

We got rain last night, but just a little over 1/4". That's excellent for the little seedlings coming up.

Corned beef again today. The store had been out the previous two weeks. Finally got it Monday--but a baby one, about 3.5 lbs. That'll probably shrink down to one meal. . . won't be enough left over for Reubens. Bummer. Back later...................

• dbarron

I have a 2-3 foot wide clump of the ephemeral ozark native, tradescantia ozarkana (lo). I love it...but it is less than six inches high.

I did order a plant of tradescantia ohioensis (the big weedy one)...for use in the front yard in the lawn replacement project. It has true blue flowers..with yellow stamens.

And even if I'm wrong Rebecca, it's not a weed ;)

• Nancy RW (zone 7)

Exactly, Danny! I actually said that out loud, to both of us! I really did. We both know it's not a weed! LOLOL Now I'm laughing all over again! I never thought my tradescantia was weedy, even if it IS a ditch flower. The ozarkana is a pretty one. I probably should have it. My new one must be a virginiana.

• Larry Peugh

Nancy, my soil has a pretty high mineral count, so I don't use a lot of fertilizer. I bought a 50# bag of 10-20-10, and a 50# bag of 32-0-0 a few weeks ago, I think the brand name was Oakley, or something like that. I just buy what ever the Farmers Co-op has. I like to shop there because they always load anything heavy for me. I have some tomato tone that I save for the garden. I am not sure what the numbers are on the tomato tone, or what brand it is. The P and K are too high in my gardens, so I use very little fertilize in the gardens at the house. The new ground in the wildlife garden is still in the " build-up stage", that is one reason I am collecting all the scrap from around the hay rings to compost.

• Megan Huntley

Somebody should have warned me that teaching PE was harder (at least physically) than teaching math! I think I'll be limping into SF.

I cross-check multiple weather sources when temps are looking questionable, as is the case for the next few evenings. On the weather channel's page, I found the long-range forcast. Looks like a hot and dry late spring/summer for us. These are based on the NOAA long-range forecast maps so it will be a pretty consistent picture and probably soon to be echoed on the evening news by the local mets.

https://weather.com/news/weather/video/summer-temperature-outlook-is-in-0

• dbarron

I have a predicted 33 next Tuesday (get out all the blankets I guess)...never fails :(

• Larry Peugh

Ft. Smith has a forecast of 35 for Tue. night, that put me at freezing or below. I am glad that I don't have tender plants in the ground. I really cant feel safe till the first week in May, because I often have late frost down in this valley.

• Sharon Hankins

Nancy...love, love tradescantia! Your purply-pink one reminds me of a field across from where I grew up (now in far NW OKC). Every spring around Mother's Day there was a huge section of them. They were mostly the very deep purple ones, but every now and then there would be a few lighter blue ones or brighter magenta-colored ones. All of them are among my very favorites!

• Megan Huntley

I have 34 predicted on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning so I'm watching that closely. Tonight's low is low enough (37-38) that I'll be covering everything tender just in case of frost. I should have everything I need to cover things but I'm not ruling out a run to the hardware store for some buckets. My tomatoes are nearing a height that they need caging, but I've intentionally not done it yet for this very reason.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b

34 predicted for Tulsa Tues night, too. Some one on FB asked if it was going to freeze. I wonder if there's a GIF of Johnny Carson in his turbine with his envelope on his forehead. Sigh.

I've decided I need a few days of mental health time out. Normally that would mean garden time, but I don't know if I want to cover new plantings. And it's wet. Less than .5", but we had an inch+ in the last go round.

I binged on season 10 of Death in Paradise last night. I have 7 days of Britbox on prime. I PAY for britbox, but I can only get it in my bedroom so I have a 7 day trial on prime. There is NOPLACE I can find to tell prime I have a subscription. Talk about rambling. I told you I need a time put.

It's Friday. Have a good weekend.

• jlhart76

Some of the forecasts show snow possible in the panhandle, but of course people are jumping on saying "but my forecast shows a low of 38 so that can't be!" Uh, it's possible for different parts of the state to get different weather. But just try & point that out to anyone.

Need to pot up, transplant and otherwise get ready for SF this weekend. Our pup got fixed this week so he can't play, and trying to keep a 8 month old lab "calm" is about like trying to teach cats to bark. He can't go in the backyard because of the other dogs & he wants to play, so he's gonna be my gardening partner in the front yard this weekend.

Shades of winter, but hey . Its' April now.

• Nancy Waggoner

HU--UGH! Just ugh! I'm crabby about this nonsense. Enough already.

On a high note, high 5's to me!!! I went to see my new doctor today!! I LIKED her and she was easy to talk with. Baby steps. I thought about bypassing her entirely and going straight to ortho surgeon, but realized it was probably time to make myself find a doc, after 30 years. Right? LOL. She was going to prescribe a low dose high BP medicine, and I said, "WHOA--I'm not sure I'm okay with that. . . I've never taken a regular prescription med in my life." She was flabbergasted. Garry went with me. Come to find out, they like the spouses to be there, so they can confirm or deny the patient's story! LOL. I loved that. This is like all new to me, you understand, since I quit going to doctors around 1993-1995. We get to go back tomorrow for x-rays.

We got home and it was damned chilly. And looks like it will continue to be.

Yesterday I went into town. I hadn't been getting in to Lincoln much, precisely because of the chilly weather. . . but when I went in early this week to FINALLY get the blackberries planted, I also spent a good bit of time ID'ing plants that were coming up, as well as weeding. John has done a great job of weeding, too.

I don't know if I asked you all, but what about horse weed and fleabane--I now they're kinda ugly, but they ARE native. . . should I yank the horse weed or leave it? I will leave two clumps of fleabane.

Happy very late Friday evening!

• dbarron

Yesterday's trip to Bustani was a mixed bag. I drove (esp coming home) in the rain pretty much all the way. I got there about 45 minutes before my appt time, which is almost late by my standards with allowing an extra hour and a half from predicted travel time. It was cold, well kinda cool at least. The inside was a MADHOUSE..I had issues with rude people, I ran out as fast as I could cover the area (normally I shop in two phases, once just looking, then once picking up stuff)...but that wasn't possible yesterday. It was grab a cart and try to fight your way down every aisle.

I didn't buy as much as last year, but I still spent $175 dollars. I was suffering under allergies (still am), and couldn't even tell you when I exited what I had bought. I've had time (since a 4 hour first sleep right after I got home at 7 pm (11:30 trip)) to now look at my receipt. Some were kinda foolish buys, and I will have to jump through hoops to make the plants happy (not tolerable of my wet), some were 'Oh boy, wow, I've wanted that for 10 years or 30 years' (which doesn't mean they don't fall in the first category too), some were things that were currently established on my want list. Of course there were the, 'I didn't know I wanted it..but..it's neat" (lots of those), including another palmetto (this one sourced from Mccurtain County).

Donna and I also traded some plants. She gave me male and female ilex verticillata clones. She gave me some mountain mint (I hope it's the one I want..so small I can't tell yet). The gave me what I believe may be redbay (she thought it was southern bayberry)...so bayberry may still be on the list.

A lovely lunch at Eskimo Joe's was had by all of us. I always enjoy those. Then I high tailed it home to where the dogs had been confined for almost 12 hours. Strangely, they didn't seem to care that I had been gone so long, and only casual peeing ensued (nothing in floor) as if we had just gone out 2 hours ago. I was so tired from being up from 2 am (allergies)->driving in rain->long day, that I had a cup of peppermint tea and went straight to bed. I'm up now because my nasal cavities had reach capacity and it was time to get up and blow and rain and take more antihistamines. After 3 hours, I think I'm ready to go back down and try to get another 3-4 hours.

• OklaMoni

WOW, sounds like the sales at TLC here in OKC. Been to that only once, and got cured. ;) Never been to Bustani yet. I feel, it is to expensive for my budget.

Hope you got to go back to sleep and feel better this morning. Yesterday was miserable.

I might say the same for today later... as I am headed to Sand Springs in a little while.

Moni

• jlhart76

Enjoy Sand Springs, Moni! I used to love going every year. It's a great way to spend the day.

Got everything moved back outside, I didn't like our forecast last night so everyone got moved back in the garage. Now they're on the driveway enjoying the sunshine. I really need to get out & do some work, but i seem to be lacking motivation this morning. Maybe this afternoon I'll be more ambitious.

• OklaMoni

I had a wonderful day with Therese from the Oklahoma Gardening Network FB page, and visit with my friend Chris in Tulsa. Bought only one plant, but got gifted one from Chris.

Was tired once home, and no desire to work in the mud pit that is sometimes called my garden... nor to ride my bike, as I deemed it to cold.

Here is a picture from Chris' front yard.

• Nancy Waggoner

My plant buying has been pretty minimal this year. I bought 13 thornless blackberries for Lincoln. . . asparagus for here and there, and some extra sweet potato slips from George, for Lincoln. But really, I simply don't have room for more stuff. Remember I was crowing about all my new 6 shrubs (the clethra, devil's walking stick, viburnum trilobum and fringe tree?) I got those last fall--Well those are out in the raised veggie beds right now. I have to find places for them out in the yard! Meanwhile, we have our work cut out for us, tearing out the bridal wreath spirea, Kerri japonica, Rose of Sharon. . . and all those blasted orange day lilies. And monkey grass. Bigtime job. And a couple clematis!

GDW and I went to Broken Arrow today to get x-rays for me, so one step closer to hopefully dealing with this bum right hip and knee. I was so wishing I'd contacted Amy, Eileen, and Rebecca, but. . . didn't really have enough advance time. . . had a nice early dinner; it was good to get out, but I was exhausted and in pain by the time we got home. Took a long nap.

I haven't put ANY plants out in the gardens yet! And many are too big!! Danny--I think it was you above talking about how little the Mountain mint were. I dense-planted a couple pots of them and they came up really well--but yes, they are so little! Nonetheless they look healthy!

I'm cranky about the cold weather, but counting my blessings for the many many seedlings I have. I'll be throwing some/many in the compost pile.

• Kim Reiss

Well my peppers and I are roomies again. It is dropping below 40 so they get to come in as well as all my fling plants. This house it too tiny for this lol

• Larry Peugh

Nancy, I don't have any warm season stuff planted in the garden either. I am cranky about the cold also. I carried in all my warm season plants, except 15 tomatoes, I expect I will carry those in tomorrow.

I have sweet potato slips ready to plant. The Oklahoma Reds did very well, next were the Covington, the Red Wine Velvet have not made any slips yet, but should be coming soon, I still have plenty of time, but I placed them on the heat mat anyway.

It is so wet and cold here, it makes me want to just stay inside.

• dbarron

I agree Larry, and it will rain again starting tonight for us. And freeze Tuesday morning and maybe Wed morning too.

• Kim Reiss

I overdid it today but didn’t realize it until I sat down and tried to get back up. I worked outside 7 hours and that was 6 hours too much. Kidding. I weedeated , built a new bed, hauled soil, moved too much, covered New bed in cardboard, raked and moved more stuff.
    Love spring and magnesium for pain. Did I mention I have hot water now so showers are great.

• hazelinok

Do these look like petunia seedlings?

• Megan Huntley

HJ - petunia is a possibility especially if the true leaves have a fuzziness to them. I always struggle to ID petunias at first. They’re always one that I see come up and let grow because my brain says “this is something.” I’m not sure though until one day I look at them and facepalm for not realizing they’re petunias.

As you all know, I have tomatoes in the ground. My lows are not forecast as low as some other areas but it’s going to be a close call. I’ll come back and add pictures of how we’ve covered my raised tomato beds because Houzz crashes for me when I try to add pics. I have a wireless thermometer in one of the beds and with nothing but a tarp, the temp is staying about 5° higher than the outdoor temp. Knock on wood that should be enough to keep them above freezing.

Everything else is in my house so it looks more like plants live here than humans but I think Kim wins because I can only imagine in the tinyhouse!

Larry, I’m impressed with your sweet potatoes. I might have a few slips ready in May but generally dont have “enough” until early June. I grow Red Delight which I understand is the same as Diane. I got 3 varieties from Taggerts garden center in Hennessy maybe 5 years ago. This was one and had been my most consistent performer. I’ve tried other varieties with not much luck so I will probably just continue with this one. My daughter is rooting a slip from one of the varieties that I got from my organic farmer friend that have sprouted in the pantry. She doesn’t remember which bag it came off of though so I don’t know which of the 3 varieties it is that he grows.

The kiddo and I are struggling to start some Neptunia lutes (yellow puff) seeds. It’s the thornless native sensitive plant. Someone on the Oklahoma Native Plant group linked me to a research paper on how to start them. I guess the nursery trade is interested. It found scarification produced the best results. Our initial run at it didn’t work and we only have 9 seeds. So last night we tried a few treatments with 5 of the remaining seeds. The tests when we nicked with a knife or scratched with a nail file then soaked in water overnight seem the most promising. both had expanded from soaking up water. The research paper said that imbibing was the challenge with germinating these seeds so I’m crossing my fingers that we might have made some progress with this round.

Compost Awareness Week is coming up - the first full week in May and as the state coordinator, I’m feeling like a slacker. Doing much was limited this year due to covid but its always easy to wish you’d done more. I was able to reach out to someone at OSU who I met just before COVID last year. She’ll be able to distribute posters to all 77 county extension offices. I’ll run those up to Stillwater on Thursday afternoon. That’s really all I’ve done this year though - pass out posters.

Of course, the thought of being in Stillwater meant Bustani’s is calling. I was able to get an appt but I need absolutely nothing! We’ll see what I leave with. ;) speaking of needing nothing, I continue adding requests in the spring fling thread but have no idea where I’ll put most of what I’m getting. Where’s the “who are we? Gardeners! What do we want? More plants! Where will we put them? We don’t know!” meme when you need it!

Have a great day and best of luck weathering the freezes!

• hazelinok

if they are petunia, they are the LB petunias. They are the great great grandchildren of the plant that Dawn gave me.

i will pot them and bring them to SF.

• Larry Peugh

Jennifer, they look nice, but I dont know what they are. I would guess it has been 30 years since I have grown any petunia seedlings.

Kim, I can relate to being sore. I try to work a little each day, but hire most of my work done, but my back really hurts today. I disc my south garden and a lot of the wildlife garden yesterday. while my helper mowed it, covered the potatoes with hay. I have more money in my gardens than I can ever get out of them, but I love being with my helper, and he tells me that he really enjoys the things I am teaching him.

I get to go to my heart doctor in Fayetteville AR. today, then to another doctor tomorrow, I am so thankful that my daughter can take us, Madge nor really enjoy driving very far, especially where there is a lot of traffic.

• jlhart76

Megan, I'm shocked that I haven't really requested anything yet. Guess that means I'll be doing a lot of shopping come Sat.

• Lynn Dollar

Can't believe I'm getting Agribon out on April 20. My tomato plants are too tall for 5 gallon buckets. I gotta hope the row cover does the job, though I worry about it leaking around the edges. Mesonet says 31* early tomorrow morning , for my area.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)

It's 39 degrees; tonight maybe 27. DRAT. I may have to drag some of my plants in--no, think I'll just go put another layer of row cover on them. What a DRAG. We've been busy, but i guess we're going to have to forget being busy in the garden for a few more days.

Such as hassle getting to doctors' offices and appointments, isn't it, Larry. I'm sorry you have to spend all that time traveling. (I am one of the world's crankiest travelers, myself. Such a waste of time!) I finally got to meet our new family doc last week, and will be spending 3 more days this week with doctor stuff. Blach.)

Kim, I'm so glad you get to enjoy nice showers now! That always helps with sore muscles, too, right?

I love that so many things self-seed from year to year--marigolds, petunias, zinnias, cosmos. . . We had our "snow storm". . . . very large flakes for a while. SURELY it is going to get warmer now.

Compost Awareness coordinator? Which group is this through, Megan? Or is it its own group? Passing out posters--well, someone's got to do it! lol The neptunia lutea looks like something we all should have. Cute plant. I found the scarification/soaking method worked well in the past for my hardest seeds (nasturtiums, ipomoea alba, hyacinth vines) and now I soak many seeds as a matter of course before planting--I know many(maybe most) who say it's not necessary, but I like the jump start it gives many of them.

Closet America
119 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company