flubez

Master Bathroom Design

FLub EZ

Hello - I feel like our master bathroom is not designed well. We have a tub (#8) by the two windows to maximize the mountain views from the corner windows. The hers sink is on the east wall and the his sink is on the north wall. The west wall between the master and the bathroom is empty and I feel like there is a lot of wasted space. Is there anyway you would redesign the bathroom?

• chicagoans

(not a pro so I hope one chimes in) Your bathroom looks large but doesn't have much storage. (I see the linen closet but it's not handy to the tub or sinks.) I'd put her sink and cabinets across that whole side wall, then between the cabinets and tub have some hooks for hanging towels and/or a bathrobe. (Otherwise you get out of the tub and where's your towel? On the floor?)

A couple of other things: since clothes don't turn corners very well and you have a window in his closet, your hanging space on the right wall is limited (were you thinking a low rod under the window? Or maybe that's a transom window?) I think you'd get more hanging space by putting the 2nd rack across from the first, and then using the space below the window for shoe storage. Then some hooks for ties, belts, etc. to the right of the door. In her closet, make sure you account for the fact that hanging clothes take up 22-24" of space perpendicular to the wall; I believe the dotted lines are for the hanging rod only, so you need to expand the space out to twice that width for clothes ( and corners are essentially dead spaces, so I x'd those out.)

Finally your toilet closet door swings very close to the toilet itself. It will be a squeeze to open and close the door when you're in there. The space is tucked away so I think you can skip the door. If you must have a door, maybe get one that swings in and out, or two 'saloon' type doors, or a bi-fold.

FLub EZ thanked chicagoans
  • FLub EZ

@chicagoans Thank you! This was very helpful.

Master bathroom design

@real vision, your bedroom will not shrink that much, the width of the bedroom will remain the same and you will lose approximately 2' in length that will still leave you with 16'X16' bedroom which is still considered to be a large bedroom. Other than that, with an 11' wide bathroom and 21" vanities on each side, that still leaves you with lots of room in between, so you might as well leave everything as is if you need that extra 2' in your bedroom... Because it looks good from here the way you have it now, the only thing I would change is to move the shower closer to the sink and linen closet closer to the door, just swap places.

Help master bathroom design

Also I meant to add-- I would like to put the stone on the side walls of the mirror and possibly over the top of the mirror as well. Thoughts?

Master bathroom design help

@Emily, This will be the master bedroom. I was thinking about having a walk in closet in the bathroom but second thought say no because I don't think I saw any bathroom with closet inside. It's a 2 person vanity so two sinks. I want to put a jacuzzi tub and a shower. the length is about 10ft from entrance to wall of the bathroom. I don't know where to put the toilet and fit all those thing in there.

Master bathroomDesign help

I think the two sconces with the shades seem nicer, and the no-round mirror. However, without knowing what style of vanity or home you have, it’s a little hard to offer a useful suggestion. I liked those as the tile strikes me as a little more traditional (as opposed to modern); but if your decor runs modern, then the other sconces may be more appropriate. I don’t mind mixing metal finishes but think most people prefer to coordinate. Good luck!
  • weedyacres

I agree, too much wasted/empty space. I'd consider one of these two options, leaving the shower area for a larger closet or even washer/dryer.

Note: I don't have the shower door and heads orientated ideally. This is a quick cut and paste to put fixtures in the right place. You can play with the details.

FLub EZ thanked weedyacres
  • FLub EZ

Thanks. would this be an extension of the his closet? Or the now bigger closet becomes the hers closet?

• FLub EZ

@chicagoans My vanity would be much smaller. I actually really enjoy talking to my wife while she takes a bath. What do you think of this layout which makes my bathroom counter / vanity smaller and incorporates an arm chair to be able to sit in the bathroom?

• chicagoans

@FLub EZ if that works for you I think that's great! (again, I'm no pro) Personally I need the storage. In the house I just sold, I had a 9'+ vanity with 2 sinks and 4 drawer stacks, plus a 36"+ linen cabinet, plus a bench with storage (it was a big bathroom.) I used all the storage! (even after my DH passed away.) I don't like keeping things on the counter. So just make sure that you and your wife account for storing all your toiletries, hair stuff, towels, TP, sheets, cleaning supplies, on and on. How about instead of a chair, you have a bench with storage? That way you have seating and storage - win!

FLub EZ thanked chicagoans
  • chicagoans

update: I wish I had a better photo (this is from my old listing), but you can just see the edge of the bench in my old bathroom. It was built at the same time as the cabinets to match. It had a deep drawer which I prefer to a lift up lid. I would recommend the same for you so that you could have a cushion and maybe some pillows for a comfy seat, if you decide to go with a bench. (Also I didn't notice until I found this picture that the photographer photoshopped out the hooks that I had on the far wall near my shower door. Odd! Just in case you thought I didn't practice what I preach about hooks for towels etc.)

FLub EZ thanked chicagoans
  • weedyacres

Who gets which closet would be a negotiation between the two of you. :-)

• FLub EZ

Thanks everyone. After talking to the builder we came up with the following design. My wife will now take my sink and have her counter extended to allow a larger make-up area. I will now take her sink and counter space. We will get more counter space and cabinets this way. We also now can use the wall for towel hooks next to the bathtub. Our kids actually love taking baths together and having towel and rob hooks is a function improvement. My wife also likes having her own counter in the bathroom as our current setup is like that.

Let me know what else you would change of the master.

Mark Bischak, Architect

I avoid direct entry into a clothes closet from a bathroom, especially when the shower door is in close proximity to the closet doors to deter mold growth, and avoid having to walk through a wet area to get to a dry area. Gas chambers become unusable if you ever find yourself in a wheelchair.

• chicagoans

I like how Mark's layout lets you use the space efficiently and even out some of the jogs in the walls in the current plan (bottom right of bedroom door, bottom of his closet.) Free advice from a professional is the best :)

• homechef59

Drawers, drawers, drawers. I suggest drawers on each side your sink. On the hers side, I would get rid of the make desk and put a stack of drawers in that space for makeup and personal supply storage. You don't have nearly as much storage as you might think in the teeny, tiny linen closet.

That tip for the functionality of drawers in you bathroom goes for your kitchen, too. Drawers are far more versatile and efficient than cabinets.

• Mrs Pete

I think you need to back-up and simplify the spaces and make them more efficient. Now you have a conglomeration of rooms with no rhyme and little reason.

Agree. This room is large, but it seems to be an attempt to throw in "today's greatest show pieces" without real efficiency. My thoughts:

- Keep the tub where it is since you want the mountain views.

- I'd rather see the shower open into the bathroom rather than the small hallway ... and as other posters demonstrated, you can bring the shower into the bathroom space itself /allowing for more closet space.

- Toilets in closets are uncomfortable and difficult to clean, and this one is the worst possible design for two reasons: the closet has no natural light, and you won't be able to close the door once you've entered the room.

- At the same time, the shower has a window. Someone didn't think this through!

- You're dedicating a whale of a lot of space to sinks ... as others have said, yes to drawers, but you can have a very efficient vanity /sink area in half the space allotted. More isn't better.

- A positive: When you walk in the bedroom door, you have a nice straight pathway to the bathroom /closet area.

- Where will the bed be placed? Regardless, one of the sleepers will have to walk around the bed to reach the bathroom. The bed would be most attractive /most functional with the headboard against the back wall ... but the door prevents that.

• weedyacres

That's a little better, but you still have a lot of wasted space. 8' between vanities is cavernous. And it looks like she's got around 12' of vanity space and you've got 7'. I'm all for spacious living, but sometimes more compact gives you better feel and function. That's the case with this bathroom.

You could fit both of your vanities in the 12' (heck, that's how much you originally had drawn in), and then move the shower in the main room next to the tub. Towel racks could go between the two.

You could flip the toilet into the current shower space and give her a bigger closet.

I'm one that prefers closets off bathrooms and separate toilet rooms, so those aren't universals to avoid.

• Lindsey_CA

"On the hers side, I would get rid of the make desk and put a stack of drawers in that space for makeup and personal supply storage."

Written by a male.

When I was younger without physical ailments, I couldn't understand why women would want to sit while putting on their makeup. After being a passenger in a horrific car accident and resulting back injuries making it very difficult to stand in one place, I now know the value of a makeup vanity space. Our master bathroom does not have a knee space in the vanity, so I have to place my chair sideways in front of the counter. It's better than nothing (better than having to stand), but I would dearly love what the OP proposes for his wife's space.

Mark Bischak, Architect

"Written by a male"

We have eight drawers in our master bathroom, I get to use one of them.

Mark Bischak, Architect

Consider this concept. I feel it is cleaner and more efficient. it is just more defined than my previous concept.

There may be othere areas of the house that could use improvement. if it is not to late to make improvements, you may want to post full floor plans and exterior elevations, but as always . . . .

WARNING: Posting your entire floor plan opens you up to facts you may not want to know, but should. Be prepared for suggestions that will make for a better design. Keep a thick skin, open mind, sense of humor, and a glass of wine within arms reach. You may not enjoy it, but everyone else will and you will be better off in the long run if you heed well the advice.

• homechef59

""On the hers side, I would get rid of the make desk and put a stack of drawers in that space for makeup and personal supply storage."

Written by a male.

Nope, not written by a male. Written by a 60 year old female. I find these knee space vanities to be an awful waste of space. I'd much rather have the storage. I stand when I put on my makeup and dry my hair.

If a person has a special need, then that space would need to be designed for their particular limitations. No such limitations have been described by the OP.

• Lindsey_CA

"If a person has a special need, then that space would need to be designed for their particular limitations. No such limitations have been described by the OP."

In other words, never plan ahead for an unforeseen circumstance. Got it.

Also, as refers to my own situation, I had "no such limitations" when we purchased and moved into this house. Circumstances changed, and the layout of our master bathroom, although it is large by anyone's standards, does not allow for a remodel to give me knee space in the vanity. The OP's bathroom is large enough to allow for that to be designed/built in now, and still have plenty of storage space.

Mark Bischak, Architect

My adventure in a wheelchair was about a month in the hospital and two months in an assisted care living facility (that I designed) because it was a 1867 farmhouse with steps and the bedrooms upstairs. It was an experience hard to forget. Eat dessert first.

• ptreckel

And...change the swing on the toilet door. If anyone is the the toilet and needs assistance, you will not be able to open the door.