Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ben_tso

Orange HT, who are you

So this is my latest Tractor Supply mystery rose, and orange HT. I’m usually decent at identifying old HTs, but this one doesn’t quite look exactly any variety I know.

Comments (41)

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

It sure is beautiful!!! The color difference makes it trickier...the first 2 pictures show a really saturated orange...and the last bloom shows a lighter orange with pink in it.

What about Cary Grant?

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.254923

BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) thanked rosecanadian
  • Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    3 years ago

Fragrant cloud was available at my local Tractor Supply... it is kind of an orangey coral color. I'll attach some photos from HMF which are ALL taken by Seil.

Seil, I hope that's okay. If it's not I am super sorry and will take them down right away!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

My Fragrant Cloud was about 5 inches across and a coral pinkish red

3 years ago

@sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) yeah I feel like I'm definitely seeing some pink in the last photo... but I'm just going off of my memory of what was at TS this year for me, I have never actually grown Fragrant Cloud ☺

BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) thanked Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
  • rosecanadian
    3 years ago

It sure does look the same as Fragrant Cloud. :)

BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) thanked rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Carol, Cary Grant is a good guess, it does have those variations in orange that Cary Grant has. (Although when I grew Cary Grant years ago, it sort of had burnished dark edges, had more recurve on the petals , and wasn’t quite so upright as this plant wants to be).

I had also considered Tropicana but to me Tropicana is a more solid color

• seil zone 6b MI
    3 years ago

I'm going with Fragrant Cloud too. It's old enough and a frequent body bag offering.

BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) thanked seil zone 6b MI
    3 years ago

Who knows, mine may not even be the real FC. I bought mine on clearance at Walmart bcuz, one year people were saying the markdown roses at a certain walmart were really David Austins!

So I got a few lol. Obviously its NOT an Austin. Tag *says* Fragrant Cloud. WM isn't famous for having the proper roses though.

Its not something I would have bought otherwise. It wasnt even blooming when I bought it. It has grown on me due to these huge fluffy puffy blooms.

I ignored this poor rose and left it in the same 3 gallon pot it came in for almost 3 yrs and barely even watered it. Didn't fertilze it either. I was kinda hoping it would die but it has thrived lol. Something to be said for that, especially in this climate.

What's left of the tag..

BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Sultry, Seil and Magpie. I’m afraid it’s not Fragrant Cloud either. Fragrant Cloud is one of my all time favorites, and I currently have a huge plant of her. Fragrant Cloud has more a dark metallic cast to it...Even before I saw the text accompanying Seil and Sultry’s pics I knew theirs were Fragrant Cloud. Fragrant Cloud is also very bushy while this thing is tall and lanky. Fragrant Cloud is also strongly fragrant , alas my mystery orange is scentless.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    3 years ago

I think Ben already has a fragrant cloud so he would readily identify that one?

I grew a body bag tropicana last year and it was mostly a very bright orange but faded to pink.

i only had a few blooms before I killed it though.

BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks JC, I do think of all the roses I’m familiar with, Tractor Trick or Treat (my name for her) looks the most like Tropicana. But still not sure it’s a positive ID.

3 years ago

Haha @ Tractor Trick or Treat thats what I think of their day-old baby chicks that are advertised to be pullets/females and then you get them home and a month later half turn out to be little roosters!

3 years ago

Hmm the mystery continues! It's kind of fun haha.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    3 years ago

Is the flower fragrant? Fragrant Cloud has more of a strong, damask rose-like smell. Tropicana has more of a tea rose or fruity smell. Also, the growth habit of the rose in the pot is similar to the growth habit of Tropicana. Tropicana also can be quite variable in color depending on the weather and other factors.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    3 years ago

Ainsley Dickson has been making the body bag rounds recently. Maybe yes??

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.1530.0

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Ben - you grew Cary Grant at one time! Interesting...I've never ever seen it for sale.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Bustopher,

I agree, definitely more like Tropicana than Fragrant Cloud in color and plant habit.. If it ends up being the only rose that gets mildew (rare in these parts), for sure it’s Tropicana!

Carla,

The colors are indeed similar to Anisley Dickson, but some of the HMF pics show AD is very much a floribunda, while Tractor Trick or Treat is very much an HT, a vertical leggy one at that.

Carol

Yes I grew Cary Grant. The colors were very interesting shades of orange, coral and red, but he was a rather wimpy grower.

Mojave is another possibility , but I don’t know much about that one. There were so many orangey HTs introduced in the wake of Tropicana.

• sharon2079
    3 years ago

Here in Florida I have seen Montezuma in body bags....

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    3 years ago

Ring of Fire?

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Ben - if Cary Grant was a wimpy grower for you....then for me it would be catatonic. LOL

• sautesmom Sacramento
    3 years ago

Yes Sharon, I have seen Montezuma too.
    Mojave is GORGEOUS but I've never heard of it.
    I think you need to first focus on what bodybags are being sold, before looking at possibilities by color.
    Carla in Sac

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    3 years ago

Ben I’m guessing Ring of Fire. I saw it in a body bag this spring at my local WM. Your pics look like what I’ve seen of the bloom in person. It makes for a very upright bush. Are you familiar with it? Might be a match?

Original Author
    3 years ago

Sunny,

When I first saw the bright orange bud, Ring of Fire did cross my mind, and I’d be excited to try this much acclaimed newer variety. I’m glad someone else also thinks it looks like Ring of Fire, it’s my top contender for Tractor Trick or Treat, along with Tropicana.

Carla,

I’m afraid Tractor Supply’s list of possible varieties extends far beyond what they have labels for. They weren’t selling Olympiad, yet my Pink Peace turned out to be Olympiad.

Carol,

There was a whole bed of Cary Grant in a garden in Austin TX, and every plant was wimpy!

Sharon,

I’ve seen Monteczuma in body bags here too! It fun to see which old varieties they will pull out of obscurity each year.

• joeywyomingzone4
    3 years ago

I'll throw in another vote for Ring of Fire.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Ben - LOL

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

If that is Ring Of Fire then I want one. The color is really vibrant!

• joeywyomingzone4
    2 years ago

Ben by any chance do you have any pictures of the foliage on your Blue Girl? I picked one up at Tractor Supply in a gallon pot yesterday, in a bit of a rush so I just saw the label and grabbed it, but after getting it home and looking it over I'm not convinced that it is labeled correctly. There are lots of very fine prickles on the new growth and it doesn't have that reddish rounded-leaved HT look....

Original Author
    2 years ago

Joey,

This is Blue Girl that I got from Home Depot years ago, the leaves are light. But I think your might have additionally had some stress or sun deprivation and needs a bit of TLC

Sultry

If it’s a really cheap rose, finding out its real identity is part of the fun.

• joeywyomingzone4
    2 years ago

Thank you!!!

• sautesmom Sacramento
    2 years ago

Hi Joey
    Here's my Blue Girl today.
    It tends to grow tall and skinny
    Carla in Sac

• joeywyomingzone4
    2 years ago

Tall and skinny might fit the bill then. The roots are pretty hacked and no telling how long they've been sitting on that rack, it's been several weeks since I was in last. Thanks for all the input!!!

Original Author
    2 years ago

I’ve concluded that my Tractor Trick or Treat is indeed Ring of Fire. Thanks everyone for participating!

I’m visiting my mom’s house in CA, she has Tropicana, my other finalist. Looking at Tropicana, the foliage, petals, color is all different from Tractor Trick or Treat:

Tropicana:

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Ben - it's so annoying not to know the name of a rose...I'm glad you figured it out. :)

• GardeningTeenager
    2 years ago

Those Blue Girl Roses are so pretty! I wish I could grow one but I am zone 6a and the only lavender rose hardy zone 6a that is partially disease resistant is Blue Moon. (there are more but they are so hard to find at big box stores)

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

GardeningTeenager - is it time to introduce growing roses in pots to your yard?? LOL :) :)

• GardeningTeenager
    2 years ago

WAIT I CAN DO THAT!!!! PLEASE ELABORATE!!!!!!

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Yes!!! Yes!!! Yes!!!

A whole new world is about to open up for you. :) :)

I grow 55 roses in pots and overwinter them all in the garage. There are lots of people here who grow roses in pots...you could even start a new thread asking for help...because you don't have to do everything that I do in zone 3b. I could tell you what I do...but it would be better for you to ask people here that are in your zone. :) :)

• GardeningTeenager
    2 years ago

Thank you so much!!!!!! I have heard mixed reviews about roses in pots but now I might try it. I just need to get my hands on the unattainable, the blue girl rose. No-one sells it around here because it isn't hardy😑.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Now, you have to learn about the joys of shopping for bare root roses!! Oh, you have much to learn, young one. LOL