Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_887830736

SOS - all tile experts needed. Heading towards divorce court

Judy Wear
2 years ago

Hi, we have started the renovation of our bathroom but still does not feel right. Major problem is the tile selection. Bathroom size is 5’ x 11’. (8ft ceilings) DH just tiled the floor & still needs to grout. We bought the tile at a local Naples, FL tile shop. The 1/2” hexagon (Keystone) wheat blend we will be using on shower floor & niche. We ordered from a distributor from daltile. The larger tile, 10” x 27”, is the Ariana Pearl. The tile with the gray, white, taupe - is the one with the more cloudy look. Initially, we were going to tile all 3 shower walls & wall above the double sink. We will be putting a 30” x 60” mirror above the sinks. Our problem is the Ariana Pearl tile clashes with the quartz vanity top. Then we were thinking of just making the largest shower wall, (left of the niche) a feature wall with Ariana Pearl. We desperately need ideas on: 1. Another tile to use for other 2 shower walls & vanity wall. 2. Is there a point to make the transition? We are striving more for a modern look, not too busy. TIA

Comments (23)

• Jean
    2 years ago

Personally, I think you have too many things going on and need to find some nice elegant plain tile to give the eye a resting place and also then it shows everything else off better.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

too much

forget the tile behind the vanity at the moment. None of what you've chosen will work w/that countertop. Plus, you're using large format tiles which rarely look good on a wall (unless it's a shower) And that shower wall is huge! you're tiling all the way up? w/the vertical set tiles, yes?

are these two large tiles the same? the Pearl?

Not really sure why you didn't pick more of a solid color mosaic.

do you have a few more sheets of that mosaic you could lay out on the shower floor? next to the Pearl tiles.?

at this point for the vanity I'd just use the countertop 4" piece as the splash.

or, take a picture and lets see that vanity wall w/the mirror you're using

BTW, your bathroom floor tile,,does that come in a mosaic?

This is the ariana White tile. were you going to do the wall like this?

and what about using that mosaic look tile ??

I'd use these two for the shower and find a solid mosaic tile in the soft gray for your shower floor,

but you see how they used the same tile on the entire floor and walls? you used a diff floor tile so it throughs off the look

the other option is to find a glass tile in this same color tone and use it behind the vanity.

i need more pics

• Lyn Nielson
    2 years ago

white subway tile is always a good standard tile to compliment any other tile. AND a cheaper fix. Too many luxury tiles make the finish look cheap. all you really need is an accent wall of quality to draw your attention to it. accessorize with rich colors. keep it clean.

• Judy Wear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Okay, will try to explain the best way I can. The mosaic tile we will have to make work. We only have the small sample. It is on order from Daltile, and should be coming in next week via a distributor. We will use it for shower floor & niche. We thought it would be different but understand now how we should of went with a solid hex...The already installed floor tile will also have to stay. Not sure Beth if there is a companion mosaic, but we already ordered & paid for the 1/2” daltile. You are all correct in stating for an all over cohesive look, we should have picked the same floor & wall tile. Since the Pearl is ceramic, thought we could only use on the walls & not the floor. We thought of just using the Pearl on the big shower wall. DH moved the plumbing to the left side of shower wall & right wall will have niche. I am now to the point of just getting a complimentary subway white tile for the shower walls & use it also on the vanity wall also. Another thought is just painting the wall above the vanity. Let me know your thoughts & suggestions on which white subway to use & size. When we bought a white subway tile for a sample, it was too bright & stark. I will take more pics of the bathroom so you get a better idea of layout. Thinking of just taking all the Pearl back to store while we can still get our money back.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

there are at least 100 shades of white subway tiles.

Hold off on the vanity tile. wait until the other elements are installed. there is no rush to do behind the sink. How far up were you going? the entire wall above vanity or just to mirror?

ceramic tile is fine for floors, not sure why your wires were crossed on that one.

So you have the mosaic for the shower, and just need a shower wall tile? What about that Ariana white? basically the same tile as the pearl, but a bit lighter and less 'design'?

It might work better w/your vanity.

Don't know if you're locked into the Pearl or not.

or, what if you went w/the same floor tile in your shower?

• Judy Wear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Planning on all three shower walls to ceiling. Terminate tile opposite vanity about 40” out and use same tile around base to door. I’ll edge it with either bullnose or schluter type depending on tile chosen. On vanity wall I’ll run it all the way around the vanity to ceiling and terminate at end of vanity top or do that entire side wall to door if I get energized. Again. Depends on the wall tile chosen. I may pattern a design around the mirror if a subway tile is chosen.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

ok. the layout sounds fine. just seems you're hung up on your countertop color.

So, either change the LFT to something more sedate, change your countertop, or change the LFT to your smaller subway. If you do that, pick a color from the countertop and use it. doesn't have to be white

to keep the modern look, lay out the tiles in a stacked layout, (ignore the accent wall)

these are examples of the subway tile size from my tile place.

would this marble-look work?

diff shades of whites/grays

I just don't see a subway working w/the Pearl tile. doing an accent wall would look odd w/the too. doing just the subway on the vanity wall wouldn't look right.

I would have loved that for a floor tile and then use the subway for the shower.

lets have a closer look at your floor tile. and put the mosaic next to it. use a flash so i can see the true color

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

Another vote for a plain white or off white subway type tile.

• Judy Wear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Beth...BTW - just wanted to thank you for all your help. I am all for ordering more of the floor tile to use on the shower walls. To me, it would be a more cohesive look. However, DH seems to think because it is porcelain tile with no real texture, it will not work in the shower. He stated that we would be scrubbing it daily as it will catch all the soap scum. What are your thoughts? I will enclose a picture of the bathroom tile that he just installed.

• Judy Wear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Pics of floor tile w/mosiac

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I like the mosaic w/that color tile. it's nice.

I don't understand what he's saying about cleaning. smooth, textured, it's all going to clean up fine. (how does a tile w/o texture catch all the soap scum?? lol) just keep up w/the cleaning, spray a cleaner on the tiles once a week and a light scrubby brush. you could use a squeegee after showering to remove most of the water. I do it w/my tiles.

I think your shower is super tall for all those subway tiles, but it might work if you did a diff layout.

maybe you want to do a herringbone for the center wall, and the regular Stacked layout on the other walls. stick in your mosaic in the niche w/the Schluter Jolly edging in the dark color.

• S Melt
    2 years ago

so are these photos of the same tile? crazy difference in the photos! is the gray the true color? going with what's on the floor I would absolutely carry that up onto the three shower walls. or do a coordinating gray subway tile on one of the walls or all three. the mosaic would be fine in the niche and if you had more you could use that as a backsplash. adding another veined stone-look just doesn't go with those tiles I don't think.

for the vanity wall, either a subway that you used in the shower, or you could cut those 12x24s into 12x12 and do a different shape on the wall. or honestly just paint or wallpaper and forget tiling that wall.

• S Melt
    2 years ago

meant to ask - is that going to be a curbless shower? what's up with the pan?

• elcieg
    2 years ago

"Our problem is the Ariana Pearl tile clashes with the quartz vanity top."

It doesn't clash; it just isn't married. You and DH are.

Paint the vanity the gray of the Ariana Pearl and wallpaper the remaining walls in tones of everything...actually, it will look pretty great!.

Thibaut

• Judy Wear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I just love the Houzz website, as this could have been a costly mistake for us. We now have to return all of the Pearl tiles tomorrow. (About 500 lbs). At least the purchase can be returned within 30 days. Should have started this thread earlier before purchasing. Glad to have all your expertise & appreciated. judianna20 - been seeing lots of model homes with wallpaper. The vanity is basically tres foil & not sure what type of paint would adhere to it. Your examples of wallpaper are striking. However in a few years we will eventually sell this place...So the BIG question is: Do we just tile with the same tile we used on the floor or use subway tile?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

What do you want? you're the ones looking at every day. If you like the Ariana tile, keep it. just don't do it behind the vanity. looks fine in the shower.

Do you like the floor tile for the wall in the shower? if so, then do that.

Do you like a lot of subway tile? then do that! lol

this is mine. I think it's a lot of subway tile!

• chiflipper
    2 years ago

A water softener...and shower gel...helps immeasurably to fight scum. Bar soap is made with talc (a very soft mineral) which is how the soap holds its shape. Talc + body oils/dead skin = scum.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

came out nice.

you have a ton of light in that room!

speaking of, can you turn the vanity light downward? I think the fixture is mounted a tad high, so turning the light downward would 'eat' up some of that space.

think about adding a little tray w/some accessories. the greenery is nice.

wood would also warm up all of the gray/white tones

• Judy Wear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thx Beth H. for your help & suggestions. Do people add live plants in the bathroom w/o any windows? Wondering what type of plants/greenery would survive? Or just silk plants?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Prob not. if you don't have a window, look for some good faux plants. not silk. they make some plastic types that are easy to dust and clean.

I got this one for my kitchen island. (I painted the terra cotta pot though) Target has these. (these aren't even the best quality)

faux

• felizlady
    2 years ago

The floor tile looks polished and dangerously slippery for a bathroom floor unless you have latex-backed rugs for all the walking areas. I don’t think the small tiles go with the large tiles…too casual.

• Judy Wear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Felizlady….ceramic floor tile rated high in slip resistance. We also brought a sample home before purchasing, to test after getting wet, how slippery it was….the shower tiles from Daltile does have a Different type of movement.