Software
Houzz Logo Print
lwwp

Help... please, how would you deal with this?

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Our cabinet package for this new build is over $140,000, everything was great until this little blunder and I am not sure if I will get used to it.

Cabinet builder said they needed to do this so that the fridge door will be fully functional, I would have not have agreed to this had I known.

Does anyone have any ideas? Will I get used to this in time? I look at it every time I go to this area of the house.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Photo - Google Photos · More Info


Photo - Google Photos · More Info


Photo - Google Photos · More Info


Photo - Google Photos · More Info


Photo - Google Photos · More Info



Photo - Google Photos · More Info


Photo - Google Photos · More Info


Comments (10)

  • 5 years ago

    I probably would not get used to seeing that, if it bothers you today, will likely always irritate.

    Assuming at $140k this is a custom cabinet package, suggested fix would be to remove the 12-inch full height cabinet to the left of the refrig opening, replace with a 3 or 4-inch filler (to allow the clearance for refrig door swing), allowing the crown to be reinstalled under the soffit. The small 12-inch base cabinet to the right of the opening would need to be replaced with a wider cabinet to make up for the removed pantry. Relocate the removed pantry to another spot in the house if possible (laundry, garage, etc.)

    Colleen Roberts thanked rlillich
  • 5 years ago

    Thank you @rlillich, I can easily spare the cabinet. I agree, it seems to be the best solution.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Are these truly custom cabinets? Then someone did not measure prior to fabricating. Yes, you need space to accommodate the fridge door swing, but there is more than enough for that.


    You might want to check at this time to see if the panels surrounding the fridge are deep enough to cover the sides of the fridge you have selected. This can be tricky because there is no standard. The bigger the fridge the deeper the fridge box.





    You don't want part of your fridge to be sticking out like this below




    If they are standard cabinets from a manufacturer, then the cabinet at the wall should have been reduced in size. This dimension perhaps will make it almost useless with a hinged door, but it could be changed into a pull-out cabinet.







  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    BeverlyFLADeziner... thank you! Your examples are super helpful... I have a LOT of space, if I ever fill all these cabinets up Beverly, I may need a psychiatrist rather than more space. The entire home is highly customized and I feel the same, this is not acceptable and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

    Photo - Google Photos · More Info



    Photo - Google Photos · More Info



    Photo - Google Photos · More Info



    Photo - Google Photos · More Info



    Photo - Google Photos · More Info



    Photo - Google Photos · More Info


    Photo - Google Photos · More Info


  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Well, they could turn it into a dummy panel that doesn't open to anything depending on your preference.

    Colleen Roberts thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 5 years ago

    Gorgeous cabinets! Yes, I would see that mistake forever...

  • 5 years ago

    If you will have cabinets on the other side of the window so that the crown can mirror the mistake, it will look intentional. This may be the most functional/inexpensive "fix".


    For me, the best fix would be to lose the narrow cabinet entirely so that the fridge can be moved over and that extra wall thickness can be removed.

    Colleen Roberts thanked Jennifer K
  • 5 years ago

    Absolutely Jennifer, I see that is the best solution. Unfortunately I had even thought about putting a shelf across as you say to make it look balanced and kind of create something up top but it is a large shed vault and the rest of the wall is all glass

  • 5 years ago

    What Beverly suggested is the best solution, not a "make do" solution.

    There isn't that much "extra" wall depth, so a 6" wide filler pullout that's installed b/w the wall and the refrigerator's side panel should suffice b/w the wall and the refrigerator.

    Do you already have a utility cabinet for your broom, etc.? If not this would be the ideal place for it. Get a "peg board" pullout and hang your broom, mop, whatever, there.

    Colleen Roberts thanked Buehl