Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mr_bill_m

Let's see some peduncles

Bill M.
2 years ago

I had to start this thread. Even since I placed my plants outside, hot during the day, cold in the evenings, they all seem to be sprouting peduncles. I have multiple plants starting to bloom. This one surprised me, my Kentiana. It has always been such a studious little guy, kept to himself, never bothered anyone, but since I moved him outside, he's turned into (as Steve Martin would say) a Wild and Crazy Guy! He's full of peduncles.

So - let's post peoples precious peduncles people, previous photos preferred too (hey - I tried).

Comments (341)

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    2 years ago

I think that parasitca needs a trim! Hint hint. Just kidding. It's amazing! Stunning. So gorgeous!

• fragrant2008
    2 years ago

Bill when i first got into growing hoyas they were very popular in sweden where they seemed to be growing them as regular house plants so i did the same here in the UK! General house plant mix with a little extra drainage watered once a week! and given a fair amount of foliage feed in the summer. I was kind of shocked when i came on here seeing everyone growing them is bascially orchid bark and watering every day :0 but everyones Hoyas look happy and healthy so guess that method works too.

Popmama thank you :)

Bill M. thanked fragrant2008
  • Bill M.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Fragrant, I guess it's more the loving care we give them rather than the substrate. Your plants look fantastic. One thing I did notice, and you've mentioned it as well, is the foliar feeding. I think that has a tremendous impact on the plant vigor. Maybe because it enters the plant through the aerial roots too. Whatever the reason, it will now become a part of my regimen as well.

You stay well and keep enjoying those plants.

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

One of my noids decided to bloom.

And another closer view. Thoughts as to who this could be are greatly appreciated.

Thanks....

2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Very nice blooms, Bill! The one on the top looks a bit like bhutanica. Now that it has bloomed maybe you can compare them to bhutanica to see if it's a match.

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Kyra, they're the same plant, just different views. Thanks for the lead, now I've got to do some Inspector Clouseau.

"Does your dog bite......" 😂

• Megan Byrd
    last year

My Compacta surprised me yesterday! :)

and my carnosa.. :)

• fragrant2008
    last year

hoya obovata

• Nilo (Zone 9b)
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hey Bill! do you think your NOID is sp Bulusan? my sp Bulusan just bloomed and it looks similar.

the pinkish inside of the corona looks similar to your photo but my sp Bulusan has a reflexed corolla.

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    last year

It looks similar doesn't it? I guess I'll never really know, but it doesn't matter, who ever it is, I still love it.

Stay well my friend....

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    last year

Another noid bloomed! The fragrance is amazing, and very strong. Haven't tasted the nectar yet but will this evening. Here's a pic of the flowers and another of the leaves. Gotta love this time of year as they all wake up.

last year

I really love the foliage on that one Bill. Those thick plain green leaves are my favorite. There are too many hoyas for me to know which one you have. But I know I don't have that one! Haha.

I am wondering if you have:

https://vermonthoyas.com/hoyas-n-o/hoya-neocaledonica/

Do you remember who you got it from?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    last year

Royal Hawaiian Purple is gearing up for a nice Spring bloom.

• fragrant2008
    last year

Hoya Gracilis with its wonderful toffee/caramel scent

• Tika Land
    last year

Macrophylla first blooms 🌸

last year

I didn't even notice this until I took the plant down to water it yesterday. Probably the peduncle was so small I didn't see it. Shepherdii.

Not open yet. Hope it doesn't blast!

last year

Tons of peduncles and buds in all stages!

And the most recent cluster to open!

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    last year

Dontcha just love it when they show their appreciation and bloom for us? I know I do. Your publicalyx cluster looks great. Mine has proven to be very reliable in blooming. I hope yours has been to. Later....

last year

@Bill M., thank you! It sure has become a reliable bloomer! Second only to ol' reliable, obovata, which has 15+ blooms ready to burst.

The dark purple bloom opened today, the ones I really love.

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    last year

Green man, I really enjoy seeing those pictures. I'm glad they're all blooming for you. I have an obavata too, but so far it hasn't decided to bloom. It's a very slow grower for me. Is yours slow growing too?

Stay well and happy growing....

last year

My obovata is pretty vigorous, but it's in a greenhouse and I water and fertilize copiously. During the Winter, it takes a hit from the cold and lots of leaves turn yellow, though.

Josh

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    last year

Greenman, That's surprising that you water frequently. I've moved mine outside where they get very bright light and are watered a few times a week, but not fertilized often. I noticed a lot of people fertilize their plants fairly often, so maybe I need to feed mine a more.

last year

I probably drag the hose into the greenhouse and soak everything 3 - 4 times a week now. I fertilize every 1 - 2 weeks with Foliage Pro 9-3-6. Seems to be working.

Josh

last year

Obovata with open flowers and tons of buds about to bloom.

• Tika Land
    last year

Buds and Blooms

Gracilis

Kerrii

Mathilde

Panchoi

Rangsan (1 only)

Krohniana

Sunrise

Macrophylla

Krohniana

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    last year

Tika, love 'em. Great job!

• Tika Land
    last year

Thank you @Bill M. I finally got my Rebecca to bloom after blasting 3 previous times 😏

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    last year

Did you do anything different with it this time or do you think it just wanted to finally join in all the Hoya fun?

• Tika Land
    last year

@Bill M. The 1st time I think I did not water enough, 2nd time it blasted after watering, this time I yelled at her. Haha 😂😂

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    last year

There's some truth to that! I have a lilac which I've had for 20+ years. It never bloomed. Two years ago I went outside in late summer and told it if it didn't bloom next year, I would chop it down. Well, it bloomed - one lousy flower! I told it I didn't think that was funny, and if I didn't see real blooms, it's toast. This year, it bloomed profusely! Don't underestimate threatening them.

Read "The Secret Life of Plants" and you'll understand.

Later....

• Tika Land
    last year

@Bill M. that’s a great story!! 😂

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    last year

It's 100% true o. I can't wait to see what next year brings since we've now both come to a mutually beneficial agreement!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

This poor neglected carnosa covers the wall of my tiny unheated glazed porch. I inherited it and it must be a good fifty years old. I rarely water it, feed it once in a blue moon and have repotted it only once in about twenty years. It flowers profusely, even without being threatened. I often don’t notice it’s about to flower until the scent fills the house one evening.

• Tika Land
    last year

It finally bloomed. This diva did nothing for 1 year!!

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    last year

Yea! Whoopie! Hooray! 🥂🍾🎉🎊👍😁

• sunfleurpower
    last year

Great buds and blooms y'all! Happy Summer! I did notice a ton of growth this spring on just about every plant in the house (except my ZZs...those are dormant for some reason, I have to do my research). I'll post a few soon, happy growing!

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    last year

I believe one of my noids just came out of witness protection! Here are three pictures I took of him. The fist two were during the day, and the last was this evening using flash. I will retake it tomorrow morning in natural light. The blooms are relatively large and a deep reddish purple while the leaves show lots of splash. Due you think it may be a gracillis? Maybe if the consensus is he is a gracillis, I can finally five him a name tag!

Not fully opened this afternoon

Opened this evening, but the flash bleaches the color out. It's a deep red like the above shot.

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    last year

Here's a picture taken this morning.

SoCal - you may be correct! I think we have a winner! It sure does look the same as the link you shared.

Anyone else want to venture a guess or confirm the diagnosis? Looks like this guy will be out of witness protection today and have a name painted on his door. Whoopee!

• Tika Land
    last year

@Bill M. wow!! Beautiful !! I agree with SoCal. What does it smell like?

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    last year

Tika, it kinda has a heavy musty smell, which is not at all unpleasant. Tonight I'll berform a full sniff test and see if I can quantify the fragrance. It's sorta like when people taste wine. I went to a local winery for a wine tasting one time, when I lived on long island. The guy said you can taste hints of vanilla, pears, other things. He asked me and I said all wines taste the same to me. He thought I was being sarcastic but they all tasted identical. The fragrance to me all seems similar too, but tonight, just for you, I'll bring my best nostrils outside and perform the sniff test. Here's hoping I don't suck up any ants working the night shift! 🤣

• sunfleurpower
    last year

First blooms on a few of my Hoya babes! In order of appearance, here are: rangsan, krinkle 8, irina, compacta (two shots cause I just loved watching that peduncle unfold) and memoria! Feeling really lucky that I've gotten to experience these live from my own little plants ☺️

• Tika Land
    last year

Beautiful blooms @sunfleurpower! They are so pretty 😍

• sunfleurpower
    last year

Thanks Tika! Our memorias had the same idea ☺️

I'm waiting patiently for lockii to open the first blooms. Had a lot of fun watching them grow

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    last year

Lockii looks similar to multiflora doesn't it?

• Tika Land
    last year

Ohhh I can’t wait to see it bloom. @sunfleurpower

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    last year

One of my noids bloomed. Whoopie! I believe he is named Hoya mindorensis lite yellow. He was in way too much sun and I kinda ignored him, but he persisted and pushed out a little bloom. Now I've got to move him to a better location and give him some more tlc. Tonight I'll see if it's fragrant. Zoom in and check out all those little hairs.

I think the constant watering, literally every one or two days cause it's so hot and dry, and the weak fertilizer every other watering, has made a huge difference.

• sunfleurpower
    last year
    last modified: last year

They're heeeeeeere!!!!

@Bill lockii does look a lot like multiflora! It's funny, my hubby who has no awareness about houseplants other than what he sees in my office greenhouse commented that they looked like shooting stars and were so waxy. Just like that, he's a plant namer!

Great work on blooming what does indeed look like mindorensis! Hoyas prove again and again that they'll do some amazing things when just left the heck alone.

• sunfleurpower
    last year

Looking back at some recent posts and I really enjoy seeing y'all's buds and blooms <3 I don't know how I'll feel when mine finally starts to bud up, but macrophylla flowers are some of my favorite to look at with those delicate, pearly pink tones. Then there are the unexpected ones where fuzz and fur are harmonizing with the porcelain textures and it's all just a little bit frills and rock and roll. Speaking of textures... have you had the misfortune of stepping on a dried up hoya blossom? Not good, those corona are surprisingly firm!

@floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK that's an impressive amount of peduncles! May we please know the size of planter that it's in? I had a pubicalyx that did absolutely nothing for a year, then exploded in growth when I uppotted. Makes me wonder at what point the plant feels that it has enough real estate to do its thing.

• Tika Land
    last year

@sunfleurpower ohhhh so pretty! 😍 They look like candy! 😋