Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_424903911

New hosts bed problems need advice

Tracy
2 years ago

I just planted a bed of patriots and guacamoles approx. 5-6 days ago. Just now I noticed some issues that are concerning to me. I don’t see any slugs in the bed so I don’t know if this is pest damage; they do get sun so maybe sun damage; or some disease. I would appreciate any help since this is my first bed and they are beautiful. I want them to be healthy and thrive.

Comments (13)

• dhaven
    2 years ago

Looks like they have a little transplant shock. Keep them well watered, and maybe pull the mulch back a couple of inches from the base of the plants. They will revive quickly and do fine.

• Tracy T
    2 years ago

Thank you. I have been watering them daily but I read somewhere that I shouldn’t be watering from above so I’ll try to just water them at the base in hopes it will help. And I’ll pull the mulch back some.

• dhaven
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

If they are in a shady area, you can water from above.

Be sure you water deeply, not just a light sprinkling. Better to water deeply as needed rather than lightly every day. The roots will seek out moisture, and you want them to delve down into the soil, not head for the top inch of dirt because that's the only place with any moisture.

• Tracy T
    2 years ago

The nursery did have them in heavy shade and where I put them they do get sun so maybe they just need to adjust. I really want to make sure there isn’t something eating them or a disease going on. Thank you for the tips.

• bkay2000
    2 years ago

It looks like handling damage to me.

bkay

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

agree with bk .... they were a bit.. very minorly .. beat up in handling.. somewhere between the grower and the planting .. ignore such ...

pull back the mulch.. to remove hiding spots for slugs ..

they dont grow like other perennials.. thats about it for this spring.. you should get a second flush in later summer ... but dont expect them to get huge until year 3 and beyond ...

first they sleep .. then they weep.. and then they leap.. or some nonsense like that .. lol ... someone else can correct and explain that...

welcome to the forums.. the only thing left to say is.... you need 100 more different hosta ...

ken

ps: not sure that is guacamole.. but if it is.. its a 3 to 4 foot plant in a few years.. is it really right next to the house?? .. or what is that wall looking thing ... if you give us overview pix.. we can help you with placement .. or just move them in very early fall [or since they were just planted.. move them now]... and btw.. patriot is a lot smaller ... could they be stained glass??? ... look for the recent post on guacy ... scroll down ... and compare .. and guaca is not shiny like that.. but that might be the watering deal.....

• Tracy T
    2 years ago

Thanks for all the info. They are not near the house. That wood you see is edging of sorts between a huge hedge of sweet viburnum we planted years ago and the grass. Grass wasn’t performing well under the shade of the sweet viburnum hedge so I thought I would grow Hosta there. Give it more color and depth. According to the labels they are supposed to be guacamole and patriot so we shall see. Lol
    And I think the saying is sleep, creep, and then leap. That’s what my mom always said anyway.

• liquidfeet Z6 Boston
    2 years ago

I water from above when the water has a chance of getting to the roots. If the plants are huge, then the leaves act as an umbrella and direct the water away from the roots, so then I stand with a hose and target where I send the water so it reaches roots. Your plants are small, so watering from above is fine. That business about water droplets burning holes is bunk. I've watered many times, many plants, from above, and so far have had no holes. Well, except from slugs.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Everyone has given good advice. I had new plants last year that are sun tolerant and they burned badly on me. I had to shade them with umbrellas. But this year they are doing well, no umbrellas needed. I am with Ken, not sure the Guacamole is Guacamole. It does look a bit more like stained glass......but they are similar. If you had slugs, there would be little holes in your leaves and they would even get a lacy look if it’s bad enough. You can look for them at night when it’s completely dark with a flashlight. If you find them, make a 10% ammonia or vinegar mix with water and liberally pour it all over your hostas. Do it now, it kills eggs laid last fall, but many of them have hatched already. Do the treatment anyway and then in fall do the same treatment, spring and fall. In fall you kill the slugs laying eggs and any eggs they’ve laid, and in the spring you do it to kill any eggs that didn’t get killed in fall. I have had a terrible time with slugs a few years back, but Ken shared this info with me and it’s like night and day. Remember to treat any new hostas you plant. I periodically treat throughout the summer some of the more prone to slug damage hostas like the Tiara series. Good luck!

debra

• Tracy T
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone. So Debra, it’s okay to pour the vinegar mixture right on top of the plants? So I guess the idea being to coat the plants with the mixture? I guess I will go out there tonight with a flashlight and see if they are there. If not, is it recommended to do this treatment anyway?

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Well, I learned the hard way. So it’s up to you. Yes you pour the 1/10 ammonia or vinegar with water all over the leaves ,petioles and the ground surrounding the plants. I have between 80 hostas, I think ,maybe a few more and I do it religiously 2X a year. See how things go for you, perhaps it won’t be needed. Good luck with your hostas!

debra

• Tracy T
    2 years ago

Thank you! I checked them last night and didn’t see any activity but if it’s recommended to do then I have no problem doing it. I would rather keep the slugs away than wait until they are a problem. Thanks again for the advice. I appreciate it.