Software
Houzz Logo Print
laurel_estrada

Need help with new RV renovation

I want to lighten up this space. The interior is immaculate, but I just cant deal with all the brown. I want to use one of the two smart tile back splashes. I prefer the modern one with orange, green and grey. But I will have to do alot, I think to make it look right. My idea wast to paint all the cabinetry a off white, but this will be so much work. The other matches almost to good with the decor now. So I might be able to get away with leaving the cabinets and taking down all the valances and such.
Any advice, I am open to all suggestions. Not sure how to deal with fabric in detail around the clock.

Comments (10)

  • 13 years ago
    Like your square tile choice because it looks to have green and gray to help you change up the color scheme. The RV has a real 80's vibe with all the fabric cornices, trim and pillows which you'll be wise to remove. I'm sure the sofa is custom fit and makes a bed, but I'd have it reupholstered. Update with new 21st century wallpaper. I think you can remove the clock and trim before you wallpaper and cover over where it was. Just add corner trim like that on the sides after the paper is up. You can buy it pre-finished similar to what is already installed. Try brushed nickel handles and knobs on the cabinetry. I wouldn't get into a big paint project 'cause you'll have to redo the entire RV if you start painting the brown wood. Do the easy things that update the decor and allow the cabinetry to fit in as is. Flooring might be something to think about replacing, and I;d install fiber roman shades instead of the blinds.
    Clear Vision Pools and Spas thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 13 years ago
    Have you thought of using a metallic copper 2 in tiles or even a 2 inch copper color glass tile? I would not paint the cabinets. Not worth the trouble. Nice 5th wheel.
    Clear Vision Pools and Spas thanked fredm51
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    River Valley, I would like to do the whole backsplash in kitchen.
  • 13 years ago
    As an rv owner myself, I have just come to cope with the 80s/90s decor that seems to be installed in all of them. At least they keep it neutral, but that can also be boring. I kept my color splashes limited to those items not permanently installed. I changed all the bedding and pillow... Kitchen and bath towels too.
    The window treatments usually are cornices, but remember you will belching down the road and things move when you do. Make sure the sides of your roman shades can be attached somehow so they don't sway about while moving. It's really annoying after a while.
    If you are a seasoned RVer you know all this, but if you're a first time owner it might not be something you realize until after you've changed it.
    Regarding the backsplash.... I like your choice. Weight is an issue another person already commented on ... I agree to watch how much you add.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    DECO- 80s vibe I agree. I will take your advice on removing the trim with fabric. I will need to find a place that has the replacement trim. The blinds are great condition with night and day shades. As much as I like the fiber idea. I think Ill utiiize them. Do you have any ideas for wall paper and do you think this is a better option than paint. The kitchen hardware is brushed nickel, so thats good. If I remove the cornices Ill be left with holes,Im not sure RV walls can be patched up well. I think curtains would look funny unless they could hang to the floor.
    so Im wondering about covering them in a new fabric that would blend in with whatever color I use on the wall.
    I would like to use Allure on the floor. And was thinking either the bamboo to match cabinets, or they have a color called Alpine Elm. Its the lightest colored plank flooring so far I have seen.Or I could use the color Iron wood which is very dark almost Espresso. Should I keep the color scheme weighted with some dark accents?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Regina, yes we are Newbies, but know about weight restrictions. The smart tiles are actually gel adhesive so they are very light weight. The Day/Night shades I will be keeping. The day shades are cream and what will be mostly used and they are closed during travel and well anchored. I have alot of cornices to tackle. Im thinking a light color. The cushions on the dinette I would love to change and also find a slip cover for the sofa, but that could be difficult, and I know will be a pain. Ill see what a repholstery job would cost. Thank You for your help.

    By the way the handsome man in the photo is my husband.
  • 13 years ago
    Don't know how paintable your wallpaper is so assume you'll have to remove it and replace with more current style. You may be able to purchase off the shelf trim at Lowes or other big box hardware. Some is pre-stained or you can stain yourself to match the previous. Careful removal may allow you to save the bottom piece that wraps around the corner and cut the top part away from it. Dab a little gel stain on the areas where you cut away and see.
    Clear Vision Pools and Spas thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 12 years ago
    I used the gel tiles in our motor home--love them! Easy to install, light weight and they look good. Another update to do would be to recover the cornice boards, remove the fabric trim by the clock and most important--paint the walls. Easy to do and it will change the look in a big way. If you have any holes you can patch and paint and they are GONE.
  • 10 years ago

    HI - Any photos you can share on what updates you did end up doing? We've had our Jayco Seneca for 4 years now. I've just been accepting of the nasty decor but really can't stand it anymore! Looking to use these smart tiles and batting around how to fix ugly window valances etc; Would also love to make the fake tumbled wall treatment wall paper go AWAY. What the heck are they thinking in RV decor?? I've yet to see anyone in a forum say they love the decor. sigh. Anyway - would love to see photos of what you ended up doing for inspiration!!!