Software
Houzz Logo Print
bethany_jett44

Kitchen Remodel

5 years ago

I just moved into a new home and am starting a much needed remodel on this kitchen. I am leaning towards staining the cabinets, but am worried about amateur imperfections. Mostly tacky surfaces. Is there any way to make this look like a classy farmhouse kitchen without painting or staining them?

Comments (18)

  • 5 years ago

    Yes I am definitely doing that. I wondered if I should do the cabinets first though to protect the rest in the staining process.

  • 5 years ago

    If the cabinets already have a clear finish on them (and it looks like they do), you'd have to strip them to be able to stain them. There are products that can brush on over the finish (such as Polyshades by Minwax) but it is difficult to get an even result with these products. Personally, I would paint those cabinets, as the wood does not look like the highest quality. Plus, it looks like the uppers and lowers are different, and paint would unite them.


    Painting cabinets is not difficult. Find an online guide, buy quality paint, and take your time. Good luck!

  • 5 years ago

    Leave the cabinets until last. Doors have to come off if you decide to paint them anyway. There is considerable prep work, that will need to be done. Restaining without stripping completely wont work. There is most likely a factory finish on your cabinets, since they look original. You cannot stain over that. Finish everything else, and then re evaluate what you want to do. If you decide to paint, remember the prep is one of the most important, and time consuming things.

  • 5 years ago

    I would change out that floor vent in front of the dishwasher to make it blend in. You might also consider relocating it to a less obvious place. Maybe route it to the toekick area of a nearby cabinet.

  • 5 years ago

    If this were my kitchen, I would hold off on replacing or painting the cabinets until I could afford to do what I truly want. However in the meantime, I would add white beadboard on the walls from the counter tops to the ceiling, replace the cabinet knobs, remove the scalloped valance over the sink and hang a plant there instead. If budget allowed, I would also purchace a stove to match the dishwasher.

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you everyone for the advice. I like all the ideas of waiting on the cabinets. I plan to remodel everything else first and see what I can do with the original cabinets. I know I can do everything else and love it but not sure how I can pull the cabinets off. I am definitely repainting the walls and adding a back splash as well as all the other ideas given. Hopefully I can make the cabinets works as is with everything else new.

  • 5 years ago

    Could you remove the soffit? I would then buy new unpainted, unfinished uppers,mouldings and mount from the ceiling. Paint all the same color.

  • 5 years ago

    Your kitchen cabinets are just like mine oak. I do have granite countertop with the house, and couldn't stand the orange color walls in the kitchen and plain white tile backslash. I painted my kitchen a light cream color and bought peel and stick wall paper for now that I put over the tile then added to the soffit. $120 and kitchen looks different. If you afford new countertop, look into it. I have to restain my cabinets too, but not now. The wall paper added texture to the kitchen, maybe not the best look, but it doesn't look so drab and dull anymore. Like you, I will have to restain and doing this myself as I have way to many other costly expenses. I cant even change the hardware as the cabinets at one point were stained around the hardware. I found on pintrest people sanding down oak cabinets and just adding a clear varnish that will not yellow and it looks sooooo good! I added a photo of my kitchen with the peel and stick wallpaper I used, it is waterproof. I also added a picture from pintrest on a bathroom cabinet that was sanded down and she used a matte varnish to keep the natural wood look.



  • 5 years ago

    This looks so similiar to our kitchen layout! There is a product at local home improvement stores that you paint onto the cabinets and it allows the cupboard to have a new paintable surface. The product smells awful (strong) and i recommend painting all your cupboards with this product outside if possible but its so worth it if you want a new look without spenfding alot of money! I would definitely move the vent in the floor or pay to have it relocated if possible, that will make a huge difference and just purchase matching appliances when you can afford it! Good Luck!!










  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    We have oak cabinets that were exactly like yours. I opted to paint the cabinets. But I also filled the grain before painting. Many, many months of work- started in Oct. 2020 and finished April 2021. I used Aquacoat filler, BIN primer and Benjamin Moore Advance in Chantilly Lace. Still have the island to do- adding trim and baseboard then painting in BM Hale Navy. Also updating wall plates to satin nickel finish.
    Delta Trinsic faucet. Silestone quartz countertops in Ocean Jasper and MSI Cienega Springs Picket backsplash.

    Here is a before and a few afters.










  • 5 years ago

    This may repeat what others have said, but to get a modern farmhouse look I would (in no particular order) : remove wallpaper and valance over the sink, paint, replace flooring with wood or wood-look tile or vinyl (yes, the vent is distracting, but you could change the color to blend in more for now), change cabinet hardware, farmhouse sink, matching appliances, and paint the cabinets. As someone said, the upper and lower cabinets don't match well and are a distraction from the look you are trying to achieve.

  • 5 years ago

    I would remove the wallpaper , valence over sink and if possible remove the soffit. Change the handles on the cabinets. Are you replacing the countertops now? Live with those changes before deciding what to do with the cabinets.

  • 5 years ago

    With everything else new (if by "everything" you mean counter also), the cabinets will still look older. Don't let that stop you - unless you really think that you might get new cabinets down the road, then wait to get a new countertop until you do.

    Even so, if the choice is to leave as is or paint, I would paint. Clean the cabinets very well with a degreasing cleaner first of all. The top paint companies have very good paints made specifically for painting cabinets, and many people have posted in this forum about the ease of use and good results for them. I have painted cheap cabinets before with good results - it isn't as hard as some make it out to be, but you do have to take your time and have room to work (for the doors) in order to get an even, durable finish.

    Adding to all the other suggestions - can you remove the muntins from the window? I would add a nice trim that complements the cabinets to the window (like some cove molding, perhaps with an edge trim) and consider painting the window to match whatever you do with the wall.

    Also, the floor grate can be painted to blend in, if you can't find a new one that works for you: prep with a light sanding to remove any rust and to scuff the finish, then spray with several light coats of Rustoleum. (My kitchen's floor vent grate is nearly in front of the stove - I painted it back in 2014 and it still looks perfect)

  • 5 years ago

    We had a similar kitchen. We took down the upper cabinets and top wasted space and put in open shelves. It really opened up the space, added height and interest. Even room to hang some art. We changed the hardware on the cabinets (found some beautiful brass handles at an antique shop for cheap, changed the stove and added a hood, Renovating on a dime, we went to a nearby slate quarry and purchased black 4x4 slate tiles to cover the formica countertop (a very study base for tiling), then grouted with black. Twenty years later, we haven't replaced or refinished the cabinets. Somehow, they look great! Have fun!


  • 5 years ago

    I agree, definitely paint them! Not staining. Not worth it with these cabinets.

    Be on the lookout for a new stainless steel range too. Will give an instant update to your kitchen and with Labor Day Sales coming up, there should be deals coming your way!

    Once the wallpaper is gone, a nice white or cream (depending on what other colors are in your space and what cabinet color you end up going with) subway tile will give a nice farmhouse feel and that isn't too hard of a DYI project. Plus subway tiles are VERY budget friendly!

  • 5 years ago

    I have purchased all new appliances, fridge and stove. I just installed the dishwasher prior. Of course right now doing any of these things is a nightmare, especially buying appliances and actually getting them delivered and in working order. That is step #1 though.

  • 5 years ago

    Are your cabinet boxes in good shape? If so, you could re-face the cabinets. Then you can choose a door and color of your liking and they will look brand new! Check out Kitchen Magic to see if this is an option for you.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert