laura_mdick

Thoughts on kitchen design?

Laura

Parts of this kitchen are bugging me but I’m not sure what. I’m curious what your thoughts are.

There’s a pantry through the door next to the light oak cabinetry.

The range doesn’t have ovens below it, that is an error.

I have more thoughts, but I’ll just leave this here for now.

Thank you for your input!

• Laura

Yes it is a mock up

• chicagoans

(not a pro) Is that quartz behind the cooktop? It's not recommended behind a cooktop as it can scorch. (read more) I'd recommend continuing your tile behind the backsplash. Even if that's meant to be natural stone behind the cooktop, I'd still recommend sticking with the tile there.

Not sure how accurate the mockup is meant to be, but check the height of your pot filler (it looks low.) Make sure it will clear your tallest pot.

Thoughts on final kitchen design!

This is something I wish I had at home: https://www.google.ca/search?q=folding+step+ladder+in+kitchen+images&espv=2&biw=1745&bih=861&tbm=isch&imgil=dEfWazKpBzKWtM%253A%253BbnwmNyLak3T45M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.thisoldhouse.com%25252Ftoh%25252Fphotos%25252F0%25252C%25252C1222530_1118423%25252C00.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=dEfWazKpBzKWtM%253A%252CbnwmNyLak3T45M%252C_&usg=__dXmdTD5IB_MZLR1RXb8RN0qk2aA%3D&ved=0CD0QyjdqFQoTCJz23sD8hcYCFUUMkgodkqoAPQ&ei=_554Vdz6BMWYyASS1YLoAw#imgrc=HxLcOZKROy9rlM%253A%3BT5De_aPpZoRVAM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi146.photobucket.com%252Falbums%252Fr243%252Fneedanap_bucket%252FDSCF2816.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fths.gardenweb.com%252Fdiscussions%252F2698944%252Fanyone-have-a-cabinet-to-store-a-step-ladder%3B800%3B600 https://www.google.ca/search?q=step+stool+stored+inside+a+kitchen+cabinet+images&espv=2&biw=1745&bih=861&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CBwQsARqFQoTCPiW7oT-hcYCFYpVkgodbIUAog#imgrc=v7SUQnMcgtDbOM%253A%3BT5De_aPpZoRVAM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi129.photobucket.com%252Falbums%252Fp222%252FEvergreenDan%252FKitchen%252520Remodel%252FIMG_0128.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fths.gardenweb.com%252Fdiscussions%252F2698944%252Fanyone-have-a-cabinet-to-store-a-step-ladder%3B800%3B600 I like DandyLioness's idea about having a cabinet depth fridge. Especially that very often the side of the fridge is not the same material as in the front.

First Time Homeowner-Mid Century Modern-Help with Kitchen Design!!

@Dawn Danley-Nichols Thank you! This is my first post and really appreciate any advice! That was my initial thought to get rid of the soffits but there is only track lighting and I was afraid I would need more lighting. There is an extra piece to the hood that hasn't been placed since the venting hole hasn't been made yet. Should I continue with plans to add the hood or use that space for upper cabinets with a microwave? I was thinking to update the hood to something more modern like this one:

Kitchen Design Help

From your renderings be choice of materials, your kitchen looks more traditional and not modern. If that is the intention, then no waterfall.

Thoughts on kitchen design?

Not enough prep space. The DW and side panel should end that run, then the sink, then the trash pull out, then a tray base with the cutting boards. That puts the max space for prep, but doesn't mix your prep and cleanup zones. And the island needs to be finished 360 with integrated decorative ends, with recessed toe for all exposed sides too. Not a skin. You have no methodology designed for supporting the overhang. Or any provision for the required electrical outlets. Those take úp space and have to be designed in as well. 62" is too deep for your average stone slab. You would need to reduce the depth. It would be more proportionate as well. Skip the open shelves. Your dimensions assume a built in refrigerator, like a Sub Zero. If that's not the case, then your aisle in front of the fridge is too small.
  • tedbixby

You can't just "leave this here for now" without giving us more input as to what you are thinking.

Is it the color? The layout? I'm guessing this is your dream kitchen so how is it not lining up to that?

• Laura

Yes, I am grateful to be in a position that it is my dream kitchen.

It might be the colours? Maybe I should just stick with two?

The layout is mostly what I want.

I am also questioning the cabinet sizes chosen. For example, as you look straight at the hood, the uppers the left and the tall section to the right look weird to me.

I’m having a hard time deciding what it is overall that I’m not loving.

• Laura

Good to know about the stone behind the backsplash. Thank you

• shirlpp

For example, as you look straight at the hood, the uppers the left and the tall section to the right look weird to me.

I agree. The symmetry between the right and left of the range hood is not there. I would have put in the same cabinet configuration as you have on the left.

• herbflavor

one thing I noticed is the three smaller pendants. the room has some largesse you've worked in with the hood..windows..glass doored cabs..large island. I would try two much larger pendants as I think the scale would be better , more statement , than three small ones. I think that would complement what you have. Can you get more overhang and more inviting stools w backs ? These are the things I'd work on and beyond that I might leave well enough alone as the assumption is you've plotted this out carefully.

• Laura

Thank you. These are not the lights fixtures or the stools. They just put them in there as an example.

• Jennifer Havin

I think it is lovely. I agree with 2 bigger pendants and doing the same things on the hood wall. Either ceiling to counter cabinets on both sides or open shelving, whatever you want but the same. Also agree on the stone behind range, just carry tile along that wall for safety as well as aesthetics.

Maybe a hood that is metal or white instead of the island color? Or white with the wood? The hood is really throwing me off.

Avondale Kitchen & Dining · More Info

Range Hoods · More Info

• Becky H

Is the fridge next to the wall oven? Will the island be your landing zone from the oven?

• Laura

Yes the island will be the landing zone.

Love the pics. That is helpful. Ty

• Laura

Yes, the fridge is next to the wall oven

• Nancy K

I think the layout is great. I love windows so I would eliminate the cabinets on the hood wall and make the windows bigger. Also, something is bothering me with the oak and white. For some reason they look disjointed, like two different kitchens pasted together. I wonder if there is a way to tie them together somehow. Perhaps if the hood or island were wood? Not sure, but I am not a fan of too many things unless they relate somehow.

• Laura

Is this better?

My apologies for the crappy edit. What I’m trying to show:
    On the left- full length cabinet.
    On the right- wall ovens
    Change the island to white oak and the range hood to white with white oak trim.

• vinmarks

The color of the hood is throwing me off. It makes it feel heavy. Your prep sink looks too small.

• Laura

Ty. The prep sink is prob not to size.

• kriii

I would skip the pot filler since IMHO it takes away from the look of the back splash. Overall, it is a lovely kitchen design. Agree about making the prep sink larger. LOVE the double dish washers.

• hu818472722

The thing I notice the most is the wrong scale windows on either side of the stove, they are too small. They should be much larger, hung at the same height as the ones above the sink and low to the counter as well, like in the photo Jennifer posted above w/range hoods. The range hood needs tweaking-too much mass, very plain and a focal point in the room, may have to splurge here. Would leave ovens on fridge wall not put in front of a door. I don't think the glass cabinet doors really work as having the one open cabinet and one glass in the corner is distracting. Having solid panel doors would unite both sides of the kitchen and minimize the two different size cabinets on the range wall, as the larger windows will provide the symmetry in between. The oak cabinet wall is so large that it visually divides the room in half and feels heavy on the right side and lighter on the left, all white cabinets would join both sides of the room and doing the oak on the island, perhaps range hood too would be very nice. Having your wood floors and island tone be similar would also be more harmonious as well, like in same photo above. The layout is good, but too many different things going on especially the the two paint colors and two different wood tones.

• anj_p

I know this isn't what you're asking, but I would reconsider the location of your prep sink. Right now its location doesn't leave you any landing space from fridge or ovens. Since you love symmetry you may have sufficient room to center it in your island (depending on island size...I would want 3.5 feet on one side).
    I also agree that the windows look small. I would do 2 larger pendants.

• Andrea C

I agree with @anj_p that more landing space is needed for the prep sink. Right now the island is sort of a barrier between the fridge and stove, so I would move the oven stack next to the other side of the pantry, so the fridge could go where the oven currently is.

• plf12652

Good comments from hu818, above. I agree that the hood looks like a plain box , needs some softer lines. And not blue….the wood.

• tedbixby

Ok. First thing you need to focus on is the layout. Not all the "pretty" stuff or color right now. How do you feel about it? Imagine yourself working in the space. As the current layout is, does it have enough cupboards and drawers for your needs. Think what is going in each one in the mock-up. Think about the fridge placement. Are you doing a lot of traveling back and forth from the sink to it? Is the fridge space large enough for the fridge you want? Would the island work better if it was turned so the stools faced out towards the sink window? Perhaps give you a larger aisle way by doing so on the oak cabinet side so that the ovens and fridge don't end up with a bottle neck of people wanting to pass thru. Just some thoughts to get you thinking...

• a_hem

You have a lot of cabinets, so are you opposed to any open shelving? Try open shelves in the corner (2 levels/oak) and make your cabinet to the far left another hutch that would anchor your corners. I dont mind the dark hood/island. I wouldn’t change to white. Pot filler needs to be higher but you probably know that and I would keep it. Loved my pot filler. Agree with bigger windows around the hood, tile behind hood, two larger pendant lights, and wood colors more similar. It is going to be a beautiful kitchen! Enjoy!

• Deni Dickler

I'm a believer in the adage "form follows function". The form (i.e. lay-out) of your design does not seem to support function in some places. The basic work triangle appears huge unless all of your prep is at the island (in which case I hope the island is counter level) and the sink is only for clean-up. The range to oven distance may be a bit long also. If you have a hot pot that goes into the oven, how far do you want to walk with it. Where do you set it down to open the oven? It looks like the island sink is right where you will want to set items going in and out of the oven. If the island is quartz, you can't put hot dishes directly on it. The refrigerator handle is on the left side, so when the door is open you cannot use the counter space to the right of the frig to set items down. That leaves the island for this purpose, but again the sink is in the way and if someone is sitting at the stool, he/she gets stuff placed right of front of him/her. The island placement means you have to walk around it to get from sink to frig, range to oven or frig, etc. Big kitchens are beautiful but can be lousy for cooking. I agree with other's comments about lack of symmetry. I do like the clean lines of the range hood. One last opinionated comment, the white will keep the kitchen bright (great for cooking, fewer cut fingers, etc.), however, the drawing has an overall blandness. Keep the white, but how about adding a color to the base of the island to give the room some pizzazz? Bon appetit!

• Nancy K

I agree with everything @Mrs Pete says. When there are too many different things, it comes across as if the person could not decide what they wanted so put a bit of everything into the design. This is the major issue I see especially with big super fancy kitchens. I really would consider if you need those cabinets on the hood wall. That one on the right is so big and bulky. Do you really need the storage? By making those windows bigger and getting rid of those bulky cabinets, the design will leap miles ahead. I would also consider doing white instead of the oak cabinets on the right side. Or else an all oak kitchen…one or the other. If you do white instead of the current oak, you could do wood on thr island or hood maybe. Also agree with @Mrs Pete on the swiss cheese ceiling and lighting tips.

Laura thanked Nancy K
  • cawaps

Others have hit on some of the things that struck me, particularly the size of the windows flanking the range. I realize you intend the island to be your main prep area, but I know I would find myself working in the inside corner between the range and clean-up sink (because I really like working in inside corners). If it were me I would get rid of the uppers in that corner and make the window to the left of the sink much larger. The range wall would be less symmetrical, but it would make the kitchen brighter and losing those uppers would visually enlarge the kitchen. It looks like you can spare the storage.

Laura thanked cawaps
  • Laura

Thanks for all the tips. I took some time to process all of them.

To answer a few questions;

• no, there won’t be ovens below the range and on the wall. They will just be on the wall. It’s an error.
    • the trash and recycling will be on the wall with the main sink with an smaller garbage in the island. The island sink will be larger and have a garburator. I’ve had one before and loved it. There will be trash and recycling in the pantry also.
    • I plan to do all my prepping at the island
    • we had planned for a more soft looking hood, soft lines and triangle shaped
    • there will be some kind of beams on the ceiling.
    • I had planned for two or three bigger island fixtures.

Things I will take into my next meeting

• too many colours. Will reduce.
    • there is no landing zone for fridge and sink- move sink to the other side (I want a big span for baking)
    • change the hood to white with wood
    • make the windows bigger flanking the range (never even considered this before!)
    • I’ll get rid of the stone backsplash.
    • yes, the pot filler will have to be higher
    • I never noticed the glass cabinets were different, that one set was stacked and the other was not. Thank you

What I’m still thinking about:

1. Should I put the ovens on the right side of the range?
    2. Or could I/should I make two longer cabinets (counter depth) beside the new larger windows? I think I would use them a lot - for our everyday appliances ie. blender, toaster, coffee maker
    3. I was thinking the microwave could go in the pantry because we don’t use it much, but not sure.
    4. If I don’t move the ovens beside the range on the right, should I swap their positions?

Any other thoughts? I really appreciate all of your thoughts and guidance.

Thank you for your comments.

• Laura

Sorry for the formatting. I had bullets. Guess they didn’t work

• anj_p

If you use your ovens a lot, I would put them on the range wall, and move the fridge over so it's not so far from the action. I would put the coffee maker next to the fridge on an open counter if you can make that happen (coffee bar of sorts - if you get H20 from your fridge this is easy). Regarding blender & toaster...I'm not sure. We have ours on the counter and it doesn't bother me, but that's all we have out. You'd need to pull them out to use them anyway, so a drawer would work just as well I'd think?

Microwave can either go in the island across from fridge, in an upper shelf next to fridge, or in the pantry.

"Garburator"!!! I had never heard that before! :D

Laura thanked anj_p
  • Laura

Haha garburator might be a regional term ...what are they really called? Disposal?

• tedbixby

Garbage Disposal in the USA. Are you in Canada? I never heard the word garburator. I like it! Sounds much more powerful than garbage disposal.

• Nicki

Do you need that wall cabinet to the left of the stove? The one without glass that butts up to the one one the other wall. I would remove that and hang a piece of art in that wall space or add one or two open shelves. I am a huge fan of symmetry too, and that cabinet is what bothers me the most in your drawing. The light oak with the white cabinets is throwing it off too (for me). Maybe go with the darker island color instead.

• Laura

Inside that big piece of wall cabinet is an ice machine and beer fridge. I do a lot of buffet style entertaining and was planning on using that area and the inside of my island to put out food.

• Laura

I could maybe do a just a buffet and put art over it.

• Laura

There’s not much room for art in this home as it is an open layout.

• Nicki

I meant the cabinet that is on the wall at the corner (the one without glass that doesn't go down to the counter). You big wall cabinet (down to the counter) is genius and I wish I had room for the same thing!

Laura thanked Nicki
  • tedbixby

Laura- you are the only one that knows what your needs are for your family and entertaining so though we all have good ideas, the important thing is that you keep on point with those things that fit your needs as you don't want to have regrets that you eliminated it. Not very many people entertain 50 people (or more) at a time.

Laura thanked tedbixby
  • tedbixby

Is the beer fridge and ice maker in that cabinet to the right of the cook top? If so, have you considered having it over on the oak cabinet wall instead? Maybe on the right side end (facing it) so it stands some what on it's own and avoids bottlenecks as people get ice and their beers?

Laura thanked tedbixby
  • Laura

The beer fridge is in the oak section that looks kind of like a hutch.

• tedbixby

So they are below the counter on the oak wall? Right side if you are facing it?

• Laura

Yes

• hu818472722

I am wondering if switching your sink and range wall would be more efficient and functional? I have found that having the fridge out of a main walkway is ideal as it gets the most use and blocks the flow of traffic in the kitchen. Also, you could put one of your dishwashers opposite a new sink wall in your island, which would save steps doing large amounts of dishes. If you place your fridge on the left side of your L, then window, stove, window, cabinet to the corner (love the cabinet below-feels more modern), windows above sink (doesn't have to be centered), set of 3 dish/glass cabinets (could be glass) and keep the pantry by the door. Flanking the buffet wall with a oven tower and microwave tower on each side would reduce the mass on that wall and frame it. That corner will give you some trouble, window could be moved over-so more centered with a little more wall on the left, having some open space, not crowding a window with cabinets gives it a little room to breathe on the other hand like in the grey kitchen having that extra storage is good too. Good Luck!

Laura thanked hu818472722
  • anj_p

I do not agree with switching your sink & range. That would spread everything out in your kitchen. You would need roller skates. I'm a huge fan of separate cleanup zones and cooking zones. Your current layout is my ideal (after the prep sink is moved, and the fridge is moved closer to the stove).

I like the hutch/cabinet/beverage station area. I think that's a great use of space. Your coffee maker would go well there.

I agree with others about removing the lone cabinet on the range wall in the corner by your sink. It looks a bit lonely over there with all the glass cabs.

Laura thanked anj_p
  • anj_p

Don't switch the sink and range. You'd be putting the cleanup zone smack on the middle of the cooking zone (any helpers would always be in the way) and moving the range more than 15 feet away from the fridge. You have a nice compact work zone now. Not sure why people think doing that would make it better. Maybe they don't see the prep sink.

Laura thanked anj_p
  • Laura

Thanks for the suggestions. The large bank of windows looks nice, but the view out that window is not the best. I want to make them more to scale, but not that huge.

• Nancy K

With regard to window placement, it is good to consider what direction they are facing. South facing windows with some overhang is best. Be careful of west facing windows where you get the beating hot afternoon sun and alot of glare when the sun is low in thr sky.

Laura thanked Nancy K
  • Becky Greenwald

For me, and I’m no expert, the color of the non-white cabinets is off. Investigate undertones as a concept, clean vs dirty, and it will make sende The wood floor is fine Simple as that.

Laura thanked Becky Greenwald
  • Laura

Yes, I agree. These

colours are just ballparks.