Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdfl

Help! Penny tile lines

mdfl
2 years ago

My contractor laid my penny tiles yesterday (not grouted yet) and I can see so many grid lines. Do I ask him to rip them up and pick something else? I’ve read that once grouted- this becomes much harder to redo. I’m worried that the grout will not fix this:(((

Comments (23)

• Melissa R
    2 years ago

YIKES! Are those hand made tiles on the wall?? If not, he did an awful job with those too!

I'm a DIY'er and I could do a way better job than your tile guy. I hope you didn't pay him yet.

• mdfl
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Tiles on the wall are handmade and are supposed to be uneven. I’m fine with them! They look beautiful in person. Just worried about the floor.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

Can you post a picture from straight overhead showing the problem areas

• tlynn1960
    2 years ago

Not a pro, but penny tile sheets have to be planned out and carefully staggered to prevent obvious lines. Looks like no staggering was done at all with a poor result. That's very worrisome as that is just basic know how with penny tile so it raises the question of did the tiler also lack knowledge/take short cuts with the waterproofing process behind the poor surface tiling part?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I like to install wall tile after the floor tile or the wall tile with the last 2 rows left until the floor is done and then the wall tile on top of the floor tile . Maybe take a pic from further back since I do not see where your drain is either .My tiler weaves the penny tile together so you do not see the grid at all Takes more time but a perfect job when done.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

Poor job which begs the question if he couldn't even get the tiles right, what did he not do with the waterproofing. I hope you have pictures of the waterproofing you can post.

• mdfl
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here are some more pictures. I do not have a full view of the waterproof but you can kind of see it in one of my pictures.

• mdfl
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you everyone for your help. This is so stressful!!!

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"I do not have a full view of the waterproof but you can kind of see it in one of my pictures."

No waterproofing is visible to me. I see raw cement board. No waterproofing, no joints taped and mudded. Nothing.

• Sammie J
    2 years ago

The tiles need to be changed. They should be laid out carefully prior to application, staggered - and, you need to remove a few pieces on each side of each square and puzzle piece the squares together so that you don't see the outline each tile square. Re: a quick tutorial on waterproof capacity of durock, see the following link:

https://www.diytileguy.com/durock-cement-board-waterproof/

• Melissa R
    2 years ago

wow, wow, wow. I'm with nidnay; looks like there is zero waterproofing.

as others stated the penny tile needed to be staggered to help avoid the look you ended up with.

• mdfl
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Starting over tomorrow with this tile. Does anyone see any obvious issues with install?

• mdfl
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I asked about the waterproofing and they said used a liquid sealant on the floor and a foot up the wall. I hope it’s enough.

• catbuilder
    2 years ago

No, not enough. Is the floor sloped to the drain? It doesn't appear to be.

You will have a similar install issue with that tile; if the same people are doing it, the lines between sheets will be obvious.

• Indecisiveness
    2 years ago

It looks like there is one floor drain on the left side of the shower; the floor should slope noticeably from the right to left to ensure it drains. Using thevtile line along the back wall, it looks like the floor is level. Do you have a kevel you can put on the floor?

• mdfl
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes- the floor is sloped, starting 4 feet from the drain.

• mdfl
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The other side of the wet room will have a tub.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"they said used a liquid sealant on the floor and a foot up the wall. I hope it’s enough."

Nope. Every inch of the cement board needs to be covered. All joints taped with a non-alkaline tape and spackled with thinset. Floor needs to be sloped 1/4" per foot and as mentioned it does not look like it is sufficient. Screw pattern looks of as well, and judging by that container on the floor, probably drywall screws to boot. No wonder he has no idea how to lay that type tile.

• Nidnay
    2 years ago

The asthetics of the penny tile is the least of your problems. Your shower has NO waterproofing. What he has done is COMPLETELY inadequate.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

I asked about the waterproofing and they said used a liquid sealant on the floor and a foot up the wall. I hope it’s enough.

No it's not enough. Your walls are NOT waterproofed which means you'll eventually have to tear it all out. Tile, grout, sealent are NOT waterproof. Neither is cement board. The whole thing is a tear out. Or you can keep it and then have to tear it all out when the walls behind the cement board are soaked and moldy.

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

You hired an idiot. This is a total tear out.

The cement board has to be either have plastic or asphalt paper installed behind it or entirely waterproofed. Not water proofed a foot or so above the floor.

• Amy k
    2 years ago

It doesn't look like any vinyl shower pan liner was placed either. it should have been done before the shower wall tile went up as it will wrap up the wall. This is a neccessary barrier between the tile, grout and subfloor to orevent water sepage thrugh grout and at seam between wall tile & shower tile.