jerijensunsetz24

Summer Solstice Greetings!

jerijen
2 years ago

Comments (18)

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I thought it was tomorrow! Thanks for the announcement, and happy Solstice to you and all on the forum!

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    2 years ago

Melissa, tomorrow is the first *full* day of summer. It actually begins tonight/this evening.

In any case, I join Jeri in her wishes for nature and the planet...and each other.

John

jerijen thanked fig_insanity Z7b E TN
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    2 years ago

Wonderful thoughts, Jeri.

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

Yes! Thank you, Jeri and Hybrid Musk Jeri!!

From Carol and Hybrid Musk Buff Beauty

• bart bart
    2 years ago

Thank you, Jeri, the same to you, and to all. I share your wishes and hopes.

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    2 years ago

Thank you. Beautiful message.

jerijen thanked librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
  • Krista_5NY
    2 years ago

Thank you Jeri, for the uplifting, inspiring message and lovely photo.

Solstice bouquet with Baronne Prevost, Wisley 2008 and James Galway

jerijen thanked Krista_5NY
  • comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    2 years ago

A little late, but Happy Solstice everyone, and thank you Jeri for getting us all thinking about caring for the natural world and all its inhabitants - not just ourselves!

Of course, here down under it's the Winter Solstice that's just passed. It's pretty cold and wet, but I'm happy to report I'm snug as a bug in a rug with my multiple layers of bedding, clothing and hot water bottle!

I have a great spot here in my 'cloud room' for skygazing (in summer it's just a regular old sun room, but in winter it takes on a whole new persona) and the moon and clouds at night have been looking particularly lovely of late...

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    2 years ago

Clouds here, Comtesse a couple of nights ago.

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

That sounds lovely, Comtesse! Carol

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    2 years ago

Jeri, so lovely! And Sheila, I'm showing my Buff Beauty your picture.

Over time I've found that I love hybrid musks more and more maybe because they do so well for me here. I have that magical combination of dry shade, rocky thin soil with off-the-charts acidity and unpredictable droughts and spring freezes. Yet somehow hybrid musk roses seem to grow in spite of it all.

KS, I'm so glad that you and other Austin growers continue to post your successes here. With the exception of Munstead Wood (Go figure!), it's the only way I'll be able to enjoy their blooms. Treasure Trail is a someday rose for me.

Comtesse, I share your enthusiasm. I don't think I'd ever want to live in a house without a sunroom.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Just to round out thoughts about the changing seasons, here's the "Strawberry Moon," last night . . . The last full "supermoon" of this calendar year.

And, for a little extra kiss . . . "Benny Lopez" -- found in Santa Barbara, CA

• K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    2 years ago

Kes, Treasure Trail is bred by Paul Barden, not Austin. I don't think there are any Austin mosses, unless I am mistaken? Treasure Trail is a fantastic compact moss rose. I highly recommend it! :)

• jerijen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I don't believe there are ANY Austin mosses. One reason for that is the fact that Mr. Austin really didn't use many true "Old Garden Roses" in his breeding.

Keith Zary told me that they had always gotten many seedlings with an "old" form. They didn't select them for propagation, because that wasn't what they were aiming for.

Austin, OTOH, selected seedlings that had the "romantic" form he wanted. That, you might say, was his genius.

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    2 years ago

You are absolutely right, KS. I misspoke. I never knew Austin didn't use moss roses in his breeding program (good to know, btw) but I did know TT was a Barden rose. Your photo shows why it's so admired.

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    2 years ago

Jeri, I wonder why the old-fashioned rose form fell out of favor when it seems so attractive to so many people. It certainly paid off for Mr. Austin.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Kes -- The answer in one word, is 'PEACE'.

The introduction of 'Peace' . . .

"Introduced in France by Meilland et Cie in 1942 as 'Madame A. Meilland'.
    Introduced in United States by Conard-Pyle (Star Roses) in 1945 as 'Peace'.
    Introduced in Australia by Hazlewood Bros. Pty. Ltd. in 1947 as 'Peace'"

. . . triggered the demand for the high-centered flower form which buried everything else.

We went from a day when 'Snowbird' was the top show rose in California . . .

. . . . to the absolute demand for pinpoint centers -- see here 'Pope John Paul II' 'Pope John Paul II ' Rose Photo (helpmefind.com)

Then, Austin came along and showed a different picture . . .