Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindamessick

Bathroom Design Dilema

Linda McSpeedy
2 years ago

Bathroom remodel and we will reframe this wall to get rid of the rounded corner and drywall to the ceiling. What to do with the glass block? It is an interior wall with sitting room on other side French doors to patio off siting room. I like the light it brings in but it looks dated. Any ideas? Ps. Bathtub top will be quartz and a tile backsplash and new facets

Comments (28)

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here’s the pic

• claire larece
    2 years ago

Do you have floor plan of the bathroom? I would take the ice blocks down maybe use it for something else plus it doesn't seem like its load bearing just added there as a partition.

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Does this help? Let me get a drawing

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here’s a rough drawing it’s not load breading. So take it down and but I don’t want the bathtub open to the sitting room ate you saying close it up as a wall? I was saying I don’t to lose the light.

• claire larece
    2 years ago

I don't see the rough sketch

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The highlighted is the glass cube wall

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The soffit is coming down

• claire larece
    2 years ago

Iv'e already seen the other post and your rough sketch is not quite right.

• lkloes
    2 years ago

How about an opaque glass panel that extends down to the level of the tub deck, eliminating the vertical tile backsplash behind the tub faucet?

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Interesting concept I’ve never seen a glass opaque panel wall. Claire that’s the dimensions of the room not sure what else to provide?

• User
    2 years ago

Do you really hate the glass block feature? i find it charming and would save and decorate around it

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I don’t hate them. I love the light they bring in. The wall will be extended to the ceiling so the rounded outdated corner will be gone. I have been researching painting the caulk or even clear painting a few (random ?)blocks an oceany turquoise ? My contractor tile guy quoted framing it all out with clear/ frosted picket door. my husband is not liking the door idea.

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

There will be updated platform quartz with marble tile backsplash so that should update the look?

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

I like the glass block and would keep it! But replacing it with a wall of textured glass, inset into the existing wall, would permit light to pass into the bathroom. You are right to take out the soffit and build the wall up to the ceiling.

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yep soffit is halfway gone! Traveling for work this week and when I get home it will be gone. It’s been on my dream list for 6 long years so thrilled to finally say good-bye.

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Next those paver floors - take a look at that grout thickness talk about dust collector!

• claire larece
    2 years ago

the window at the end of the bathroom seems to be going at a angle but anyway ital brought an idea I had yesterday for the tub to bring over the at the window. can you submit us a pic of the end of the bathroom passing the window and tub?

• lkloes
    2 years ago

So by an opaque glass panel I mean something like a fixed shower panel that would run up from your tub deck as high as you wanted it (similar to what ital mover posted in the last photo only not going to the floor but to the top of tub). You’ll get both privacy and light that way.

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Claire it’s actually not a window it’s French doors and it in the sitting room next to the bathroom. I’ll take more pics but traveling the week out of town and not home. Thanks for the idea snd pics of panel. It’s a good idea!

• houssaon
    2 years ago

If the glass blocks are in good condition and secure, I would keep them. It doesn't look bad and when you update the tile and bring the wall all the way to the ceiling, it will look even better. You'll find plenty of examples of glass block used in bathrooms on Houzz.

Good luck with your renovation.

• phassink
    2 years ago

You should visit a glass store or a stained glass studio. You might find some inspiration in the options you find there. Glass is so versatile, and it's perfect for a bathroom. You might even decide to keep what you have.

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Visiting a glass store is an excellent idea. I am in Anaheim for work and am going to tile and bathe stores they have the most inexpensive stuff AND they bargain with you! I got my kitchen marble subway marble tile for 2.10 a sq ft! So I’m looking for my tiles for bathroom and my fixture and my lights. Maybe even my quartz!

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is an update DEMO. why they didn’t run the electrical, control wire and Freon line through the top plate is beyond us. They built and framed ‘box’ instead.

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oops I should have posted this on another thread. I will update.

• phassink
    2 years ago

Is that expensive to relocate? That type of short cut makes me wonder about the builder. What else did he install for you to discover later?

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@phassink not really quotes are ~$350. The amount of wood 12x4 $$$ they put into these soffits is unreal so they didn’t take any short cuts there! But the electrician and heating air installers seem to have gotten lazy. We were surprised this work past inspection.

• phassink
    2 years ago

Glad it did not cost you more. I do hope you don’t run into any surprises with the rest of your remodel!