Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_marklin

Advise needed on curtain selection.

jeff marklin
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

The bedroom paint color is actually a warm light grey. I have been trying to decide between a linen look white curtain and velvet soft white curtains. Shown are the velvet curtains. Or maybe I should I consider navy/ blue curtains instead?

Below is the white curtain shown:

Heritage Plush Velvet Curtain Single Panel, Pillow White, 50"x96" · More Info

Signature Midnight Blue Doublewide Blackout Velvet Curtain Single Panel, 100"x96" · More Info

Comments (28)

• jck910
    2 years ago

I like the white, very fresh

• Tara
    2 years ago

I'd go with the linen in white. Velvet is too heavy a look and feel for the lightness of the room. And it's summer. I personally like sheers in the summer, then change out to something heavier in the winter.

• PRO
    VRA Interiors, LLC
    2 years ago

Here are two of our master bedroom designs. Note the curtains in the first image. We think the white curtains might work best for your bedroom.

The Luxe in Midtown: Bedroom · More Info

Sophisticated Master Suite: Bedroom · More Info

jeff marklin thanked VRA Interiors, LLC
  • User
    2 years ago

Not the navy. It will be too hard.

On my screen your bedding seems to have very faint touch of aqua or turquoise. If you wanted more blue in the room, echoing that might be nice

• Yayagal
    2 years ago

I love the last bedroom posted.

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

White linen.

• jeff marklin
    Original Author
    2 years ago

nhb22, the Ikea curtains you posted- are those the Ritva curtain? Are they white or off white? (hoping for white) Also question about the length I see they are 98 inches long. How tall are your windows? Did you have to shorten the curtains? My ceilings are 9 feet tall but my windows are 85 inches to the top of the molding. So I guess 13 inches above the window if I hang them as is.

• jeff marklin
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I guess my question is should I raise my curtain rods and hang curtains high or should I leave them as is?

• User
    2 years ago

It really looks very lovely just as it is.

jeff marklin thanked User
  • nhb22
    2 years ago

jeff marklin - Yes, for the Ritva. And they were an slight cream color. You can tell the difference in the curtain against my true white trim. However, they blended well in my room. I have read that a person bleached hers and they came out perfectly white. I'll see if I can find that post.

The lower part of my ceilings are 9 feet. As you can see, I hung the curtains to the ceiling trim. I I ordered the longer curtains (118") because I had to fold them back before clipping the rings on. I had a previous curtain up in the room and did not want to rehang the curtain rods. So I worked with what I had. No sewing!!!

Found a couple!!!

"I have been looking at my ‘natural’ (yellowy) linen aina curtains for maybe 10 yrs. now. I attempted to bleach a couple of the panels a couple years ago to no avail with regular bleach. It did absolutely nothing. I thought I was going to have to live with it forever. This summer I got some courage to research it again. And you popped up. What the heck. I’ll try it one more time. I washed 2 panels to make sure to remove any sizing left in the linen. I bought some clean 5 gallon paint buckets put in 3 scoops of the OXI CLEAN White Revive in each bucket and used hot tap water. I put the clean wet panels in and stirred the around. I could tell almost immediately they looked whiter. I left in for about a day and a half stirring them every couple hours. Took them out and washed them and hung them up to dry. They are white! Not weird bleach white but beautiful white linen. I am so happy."

"Soaking the curtains in Oxi Clean White Revive does totally work. I soaked them in cold water for 48 hours and they are completely bright white. The old color is completely gone. I air dried them in the dryer for a small amount of time, then hung to air dry and they shrunk about 1 inch. I also tried soaking the panels in hot water and dried in the dryer with heat. These shrunk a lot more. If you just want to lighten them a little, not as stark white, you can soak for 6 hours in hot water. (this will shrink). I have not tested soaking less time in cold water yet. But just wanted to confirm that you can definitely whiten these curtains. (Note: they appear bluish in the photo due to the shadow, there is no blue in the curtain.)

(Top: Original Ikea Rita Curtain Bottom: Same curtain after soaking in cold water and Oxi Clean White Revive for 48 hours)"

• PRO
    Arslonga
    2 years ago

Off white

white

Navy

Blue

• jeff marklin
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I just purchased the Ikea curtains and also some I found on amazon that look identical to the Ikea ones and appear to be a true white and going to return the ones that don't work. For those that are interested the ones on amazon are the Farm House curtain by Ramanta. I would link them but I don't know how.

• Susan Davis
    2 years ago

Also important is making sure you have curtains that are 2-21/2 times the width of the window.....no skimpy curtians....fullness needed to balance the size of the window.

• nhb22
    2 years ago

Good point, Susan. I checked out the Amazon curtains and they are more narrow than the Ikea. 50" versus 57". I do like that the longest length of the Amazon curtain is 108" versus the Ikea that is 118". Then I would probably not have to shorten. However, I wonder if the Amazon curtain is as sturdy as the Ikea. The customer photos don't look all that great. Please come back and report your findings, Jeff!

• kculbers
    2 years ago

I like the white❣️The white velvet sounds luxurious and would have a nice weight and drape.

• jeff marklin
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I will post pics of my curtain findings nhb22! I see the ikea curtains are very popular. I am very interested to see what they are like

• nhb22
    2 years ago

Did your curtains come in, jeff marklin?

I measured for curtains in my new bedroom and the 98" from IKEA may be a little short...unless I used rings again. Especially since they tend to not be precise in length. However, the 118" is way too long! A 108" length would be allow enough length and I would only have to fold the hem once. Instead of rings this time, I would really like to try the back tabs.

• jeff marklin
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ok so the curtains came in. Not a fan of the Ikea curtains. They were kind of a stiff fabric with a yellow cast. I also think they were too wide for my windows. Either way, they did not drape well. The ones from Amazon were better. A true white. The fabric looks identical to the ikea but not as stiff. They are wrinkled so I need to steam them. If you are looking for the linen look, they are worth trying. Not sure if I will keep them, I like the way the velvet ones i ordered too. They drape better, but they also are not a true white, they have a soft buttery cast. So I don't know. It is hard to find a nice true white curtain.

nhb22, The back tab option looks much better on the amazon curtains than the ikea.

• jeff marklin
    Original Author
    2 years ago

These are the amazon curtains if you are interested...

• nhb22
    2 years ago

jeff marklin - Thank you!

That's all very interesting. I loved the weight of the IKEA curtains that I had. They blocked more light. I steamed and ironed them, so perhaps that helped with the drape. However, as I said, I like the length options on the Amazon curtains for my new bedroom. And white will be a better option with my blue bedroom color, so I think I will give them a try.

The plus is that I will not have to bleach them! The negative is that I do wish they were wider and heavier. Either way, I always double up so I will be ordering at least two pairs for each side of my boxed window. I need to go measure for width. I want the curtains to look full if we close them to help block light. Although we may not need to because the sun rises on the opposite side of our home. (afternoon sun in photo) We will also have plantation blinds.

I have thought about getting one of those rods that curves around the wall corner so that some curtain fabric is on the sides of the box. I have no idea where to find those, but keeping the curtains away from blocking any part of the window will showcase those windows. The box is going to painted blue, as well. Along with trim around the windows, there will be a header above them, and raised paneling below the windows. Crown molding inside of the box, as well as a 2 piece crown on the ceiling.

PS - Is there a rod POCKET in addition to the back tabs?

• jeff marklin
    Original Author
    2 years ago

No rod pocket, just pole top only. If you order them let me know if you like them. I can tell the quality is not the best on them, but once they are hung-they look fine. Btw...I would say the amazon curtains are light filtering...definitely block out more light than sheers.

• jeff marklin
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The amazon curtains are about 3 inches too long so I am considering either raising the rod a few inches or I might see about buying some adhesive iron-on tape to shorten them.

• nhb22
    2 years ago

jeff marklin - I would not raise your rod. You could try getting a 3" rod and see if that helps pull them up. Or you can fold the top over and use 1 1/2" rings to attach to the rod. Is that a 1" rod? Or simply use hem tape. Are all your curtains the same length? I have been reading the curtain reviews about the lengths being uneven. Photo?

• jeff marklin
    Original Author
    2 years ago

nhb22- The curtains are the same length no problems there. I don't see why the bad reviews.

• nhb22
    2 years ago

Great! I will go ahead and order although we will not be in our home for a few more months.

Thank you!

• markliman
    2 years ago

nhb22 did the amazon curtsins work for you?

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

Any updates as I liked the white curtains in your room?