Software
Houzz Logo Print
mccorrj

Closet design help

5 years ago

Hello, we are building a home right now and I need to tell the trim guy how I want the closet to be organized (shelving, single rod, double rod, etc) I have some ideas for most of the closet but I have a weird corner that I'm not sure how to set up. I am more concerned about maximizing all the space rather than it looking pretty . We're already over budget so we're not planning on adding any built in drawers, we're just trying to keep it pretty simple . I truly appreciate any suggestions you may have. Thank you so much!!

Comments (8)

  • 5 years ago

    Awesome, I'll check it out. Thank you!

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    <EDITED> @mccorrj You might want to use that nook with the "?" for a seating area with your hats above... Closet envy & I always wanted to have a secret entrance, but I did not picture it from the main closet 😊.

    @tedbixby1981 Thank you for sharing the link. We have just moved to a smaller house and even smaller closets than before. I am still organizing LR/FR, but closets are next.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I would do a nice tall stack of shelves. you could have the corner angled off so that you are not hitting it... this shape👇 but filling your whole space...

    great for handbags. shoes, hats


  • 5 years ago

    Is the moveable bookcase a secret entrance? what’s on the other side?

    Is the closet for one person or for two?

    Do you have dressy and casual wear both? Suits for the office?

    The nook at the top, you don’t have room for both a rod and shelves. one or the other, but not both.

  • 5 years ago

    Hi bpath thank you for your response 😊

    Yes the movable bookshelf is a secret entrance to the kids playroom for now and will probably be turned into an office later on down the road. I won't I put any of the playroom furniture near the opening of the bookcase so I have a clear pathway.

    The closet is just for one.

    I do have both dressy and casual wear. I also have a bad habit of hoarding purses and shoes (even ones I haven't worn in over a decade 🤦🏼‍♀️)

    Maybe I should just do shelving in that top nook for purses, shoes, and folded clothing and rods on the rest?

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I think the top nook is perfect for shelves for purses and shoes, and racks or hooks for other accessories like scarves, casual necklaces, etc.

    My go-to is elfa from The Container Store. They usually have a 25% off sale on all shelving (not just elfa) in August, and 33% off all elfa from sometime in December until Valentines. It is easy to add on drawers or anything else, at any time. You might submit your closet to their website or take it in to a store, if one is near you, and have them design. At the very least, you might just instqll a top rail and a couple of standards androd to get you started.

    Anyway, you probably don’t need to keep that secret passage accessible, right?

    For the left-hand wall, i don’t think i would take hanging space all the way to the bathroom door. Sketch out where the hangers/clothes come out to, and what you might do in the nook, and remember to subtract that from the diagonal pathway between bathroom and laundry.

    Try imagining walking into th closet from the bathroom. You turn to the right to find something to wear. Do you want the clothing at the end of the rod in your face? or, do you want to turn to the right and see all yiur hanging clothes on that 6’4” wall? i think I’d prefer the latter.

    Be careful putting hanging in corners. the last 2’ or so of each run will be pretty inaccessible

    Oh, and is it too late to change the double door into the bathroom to a single door? it will be much more useful.

  • 5 years ago

    Bpath you're awesome! Thank you for the great suggestions. You brought up alot of great points that I wouldn't even think of. And yes I totally agree about the single door. We already told the door guy to make it a single door instead. Thank you so much!!!!