mstywoods

Broccoli bolting

mstywoods

Darn - looks like I won't get any broccoli from the garden to eat this year. Have several plants that were doing so well, and now they are already bolting and never got any heads :( Likely due to all the hot weather we've had in Denver area.

Anyone have luck with them this season?

• tomatoz1

Broccoli like cooler temps and lots of water, but heavily mulching the plants help the roots stay cool in the higher temps. Timing of plant-out is another factor, the earlier the better if there’s no freeze projected.

The ones I planted May 15 or so are just beginning to form a head. The leftovers that I planted near the end of June are tiny plants with tiny heads. Even with lots of TLC, the later ones will never perform well.

You could try for a Fall harvest of broccoli, checking the nurseries for new plants. Best of luck with them.

• mstywoods

Thanks tomatoz. I planted them together in one raised bed, so their leaves actually provided a lot of shade for their roots. Got them in the ground shortly after Mother's Day. Yea, I might try again late summer and see how they do. Thanks!

• gjcore

Cut the head/flowers off and they should get more small heads.

• mstywoods

Oh really?! That's worth a try! Thanks gjcore