Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brenda_md

Anyone use Backpack vacs

brenda_md
2 years ago

Is anyone using a backpack vac in their house? If so, what brand do you have and do you like it? Also, is there anything I should consider when purchasing one. We will be building a log home with a very open first floor plan plus a loft and bedrooms on the second floor, all wood floors and some tile. I think this type of vac would be very useful with our house style.

Comments (14)

• M
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Depends on just how much dust/dirt your household produces. We have Dyson stick vacuums on all levels and they handle 90% of our cleaning needs. We do have an upright vacuum but it gets used very rarely. We wet wipe all tile and hardwood surfaces once or twice a month, and we use the stick vacuums daily for spot cleaning

• 3katz4me
    2 years ago

No backpack here - not sure why you would want one. I also have a Dyson stick and it's by far the best overall vacuum I've ever had. So great I bought a second one.

• brenda_md
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@M, @3katz4me thanks for the input. I currently have a Miele canister vac I use in our house which has wood floors. Stick vacs were not something I considered; however, I feel Dyson is way overpriced, just my opinion but I will check that brand and others out.

@weed_cutter Appreciate your detailed response. Our log home will have about 3,000 square feet also. I am fit, so don't think it would be an issue.

• 3katz4me
    2 years ago

@brenda_md - I have a Miele canister vac too and I used it once after I got a Dyson stick and never again. If you watch for sales you can get them at a pretty good price. I would not pay full price. One might think they're overpriced until you actually use one. I loaned mine to my frugal neighbor to try it and she promptly bought one and recommended it to two friends who also bought one. Mine is a V8 and I use it for my entire 3400 sf house. I have wood floor, area rugs and some carpet. Personally I think Miele is overrated and overpriced based on my underwhelming experience owning a couple of their products.

• brenda_md
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@3katz4me LOL, I have been very happy with my Miele. However, I wasn't aware that Dyson ever put their products on sale, will have to watch for sales and check them out. Thanks.

• just_janni
    2 years ago

Thanks for the real world reviews - I was thinking about getting one of these myself after seeing (and hearing / not hearing) them at work. I like the no cord and no long hose....

• 3katz4me
    2 years ago

I got my Dysons around Thanksgiving - on sale many places. Costco, BB&B and directly from Dyson. The design and maneuverability along with the great suction and lack of cord are hard to beat in my opinion. My v8 with the full floor attachment weighs about 6 lbs so you really aren't lugging anything around. The higher number models weigh more. Aside from the great job it does on hard surface floors, rugs and carpet it's also superb as a hand held with the upholstery attachment. I have two cats and it is truly amazing how that thing sucks up the cat hair. My husband even likes to vacuum now - in the house and in his car - and he was once a big Miele fan. My neighbor and I both use ours for our boats as well. As you can tell I love this thing. Now if I could only find a similarly great tool for dusting....

brenda_md thanked 3katz4me
  • clt3
    2 years ago

I have a Eureka Mighty Mite with a shoulder strap that works really well for hard floors. Not expensive and I use it all of the time.

brenda_md thanked clt3
  • foodonastump
    2 years ago

Obviously a lot of Dyson fans here and elsewhere and that’s great, but as a warning to anyone accustomed to a bag, you might not be happy with bagless. Only reason I kept my ball in use for several years was it was too expensive to throw out. I’m assuming the sticks are bagless as well?

brenda_md thanked foodonastump
  • M
    2 years ago

But bagless is so convenient. The modern Dyson vacuums are very easy to empty without making a mess. It only takes less than a minute and doesn't require shopping for consumables.

Every so often, the might need a deep cleaning and that's messier. But if you empty the canister regularly before it overflows, then the need shouldn't arise very often.

brenda_md thanked M
  • foodonastump
    2 years ago

Maybe they’re different now? Mine was about ten years ago I’d guess. Cloud of dust when I’d empty, so I’d only do it outside, check wind direction, etc. Volume was small (I have a very sheddy dog) so yeah I guess I’d overfill it occasionally and deep cleans weren’t infrequent. Again if it works for you, great, just cautioning someone who might be making the switch.

brenda_md thanked foodonastump
  • sushipup1
    2 years ago

"Den" is a spammer. Please flag.

• graywings123
    2 years ago

I have a ProTeam backpack vac, specifically the Super HalfVac HEPA HipStyle, which I believe is their second smallest model. It works well, and I can whip through the house with it quickly. What I didn't take into account when I bought it is the size of my rooms and the size of the vac. When I am turning around in a small space, I have to account for the several additional inches behind my back. It is a problem in my small bathroom, and all but impossible to use in the tiny powder room. It is a fantastic vacuum, though, and for someone with a large space, it would be great.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville