Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsmacluvsdave

Foyer help to brighten up!

mrsmacluvsdave
2 years ago

Any ideas to help spruce up our foyer? I’m already thibking of paintng white or a much lighter color, possibly painting back of door black (the front is black)

and any ideas or suggestions for a new light fixture to give more light? I really dislike the carpet on the stairs and im trying to get my husband to agree to a neutral runner and is it worth trying to go over this old marble floor with something else? Our contractor said it would be easy to do...?

Comments (9)

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

It’s a tough one because there aren’t many ways to add natural light here.
    I would:
    Get a new door altogether with more windows. Let in as much light as you can.
    And a much bigger less shadowy light.
    (A big project that I’d consider down the line. Is opening up the arches a little more. I’d keep the arches, they’re beautiful!! But enlarging them will bring in a lot more light. It seems. )
    And the carpet runner would look great updated.
    The floor tile isn’t horrible. I wouldn’t replace it with another similar box store tile. I’d prefer to keep it. Unless you want to change it for something $$$.
    Awesome spaces there is so much potential here

mrsmacluvsdave thanked HU-187528210
  • tartanmeup
    2 years ago

Fwiw, "this old marble floor" is looking pretty good from where I sit. You have an enviable foyer with classic bones. Not sure I understand your goals though. You want to "spruce up" or "brighten up"? Are you lacking artificial light in the space? If the overhead light fixture is inadequate, start with a visit to a local lighting store for suggestions. Have the current fixture's specs in hand (type of bulb, number of bulbs, max wattage, size). You'll also need the space's dimensions including the ceiling height. If there's a wall outlet (or the possibility of adding one), you could also consider a small table lamp on one of the console tables. Painting the inside of the door black would counter the goal of adding more light to the space, imo. Budget permitting, a door with larger glass insert (aka "lite) to let more natural light into the space might make sense. The door style should harmonize with the house's style though. Can't see the current decor details but I favour large art on walls over small frames on entry tables. More design impact. Might want to look at entry pics for inspo?

mrsmacluvsdave thanked tartanmeup
  • PRO
    myricarchitect
    2 years ago

The half circle window detail at the front door is clashing with the arched openings inside. I would replace the front door (or switch out the door slab keeping the frame & sidelites) to something with more glass and no curved window like this

The carpet runner on the stairs is OK, marble foyers often have big echoes without much to soften the sound and stair runner helps.

mrsmacluvsdave thanked myricarchitect
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

The light fixture in there now is not giving you much light if you look at the photo its pretty but not effective. You could add more recessed light down the hall, and change the entry fixture to allow more light out, and I would also move to a more "daylight" color temp on the bulbs themselves.

Changing the front door could do wonders as well.

mrsmacluvsdave thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

The marble floor will reflect light, something "flat" will not.

• mrsmacluvsdave
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all for the time to repsond and thoughts. Since the door is so old, according to our contractor we’d have to rip out whole door (side panels too) at the tune of 5-7k, because we risk a new door only not fitting as it should on the old frame? It sounds like the door really is a bigger problem (design wise) in achieving a brighter space, so since that isnt in the budget and its a want, not need i guess i need to start saving and in the interim get a larger light!!

• roarah
    2 years ago

I often try not to fight the natural lighting in a room and find darker colors work best! ilove darker painted walls in entries. They feel like a hug when entering from the extreme heat or cold.

• nhb22
    2 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/user/mrsmacluvsdave

You can have a local craftsman make a new door slab to fit in the existing opening without ripping out the entire frame.

• heatheron40
    2 years ago

While you are waiting to decide on the door, get a light that is lower rather than your current flush mount. Bring the light closer to people. A contrasting rug will also make other features seem lighter.

I personally would like a full window for the door with arch at top to repeat foyer arches