Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Splendide WHITE

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

After enjoying "regular" (thalictrum) Splendide for many years I tried unsuccessfully for a long time to acquire the WHITE version ie Splendide WHITE (this is not the same as thalictrum ALBA).

Anyways I got 3 WHITE's by mail order in May 2020. All three survived the winter just fine. Two of them are in bloom at about 3.5 to 4 feet tall with a nice enough spray of white flowers.

But the third Splendide WHITE is an outlier. It is now 7 feet tall including flowers.

(And I am confident it isnt even in full bloom).

I know many of you have "regular" SPLENDIDE but who has the WHITE edition?

Comments (21)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    2 years ago

Ooh, that is just gorgeous, Rouge. It looks like it will be really impressive in full bloom!

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • mazerolm_3a
    2 years ago

I don’t have it, but after having seen your pics, I’m adding thalictrums to my list! :)

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked mazerolm_3a
  • l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

Your baby is gorgeous! White is the perfect color for something so ethereal!

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked l pinkmountain
  • schoolhouse_gwagain
    2 years ago

I like that.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • roxanna7
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Rouge -- you know I love your regular 'Splendide', and now this?? Be still, my heart. I swear I am going to travel in the darkest of nights and do a little thievery... =)

I now have three 'Splendide' plants which are doing well, tho two of them are only second-year plants, so still rather small. The seven-footer oldest I have is almost in bloom -- I love the pre-opened buds showing right now.

Thanks for sharing the white one -- you enabler, you. Might I ask where you mail-ordered this from??

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked roxanna7
  • rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The seven-footer oldest I have is almost in bloom -- I love the pre-opened buds showing right now.

@roxanna7 please post pics of this mature Splendide? (I am always a bit surprised at how long it takes for Splendide flowers to fully open.)

Original Author
    10 months ago

UPDATE (June 30/2023):

This specimen is now over 7 feet tall (before the flowers have even opened). (Blue line to show the reach of this plant.)

(I love that it doesnt take up much horizontal real estate.)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    10 months ago

So lovely, Rouge! I have yet to see any of these plants available locally. Did you have a hard time finding the white online?

Can you show us photos of your Splendides?

Sherry

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Hey Sherry. Thanks as always.

I got 3 several years ago from an online nursery in BC. (One of them has since died but the other two are fine).

I was able to track down more white earlier this season from a wholesaler about an hour from me.(I didn't really "need" anymore but I picked up one anyway.)

So in total I have 3 WHITES and 3 "regular" Splendides. 2 of the WHITES will/should give a good display but none of the "regulars" will do much. They are healthy but not very tall. I have had lots of experience with SPLENDIDE and yet it is still hit and miss as to which one(s) and in which year they will put on a show.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 months ago

Thanks Rouge, looks like I will have to do some research here. It is interesting that they aren’t consistent from season to season. Yours look lovely!

Sherry

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
  • rosaprimula
    9 months ago

Um, mine is definitely not anywhere near 7 feet but, tbf, it has been a bit squashed in place by a rampant indigofera. Have both white and purple next to each other and the purple is even flimsier (but it was rudely dug up from D-i-Ls garden and stuck in mine this spring, so allowing it a year to settle in).

Original Author
    9 months ago

mine is definitely not anywhere near 7 feet but, tbf, it has been a bit squashed in place by a

I find this thalictrum very 'picky' about the location it needs to do its best.

Original Author
    9 months ago

This is one, the shorter of the two to bloom is probably 7 feet including the spray of flowers.

(When the other taller one is in bloom I will post a picture.)

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    9 months ago

I have never seen this plant before….it’s quite beautiful!! Does it widen much at the top or always keep that vertical look? It’s really lovely! Thanks for sharing.

debra

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Thanks debra. What is appealing about using this plant is that it takes up not too much horizontal space and so there are lots of options to use in one's garden.

Original Author
    9 months ago

Just in case it is brought to its knees by an act of god...here it is today... 9 feet tall including the flowers (which arent yet fully open).

• Marie Tulin
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

a genetic ”mistake” resulting in a genetic

masterpiece

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    9 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Now in full bloom, 9 feet tall.

(I almost lost this plant 3 years ago. It came up so late and so small, failing to thrive, that I dug it this thumb sized plant and put it in a pot to 'rehab' it. It did well in the container and so at some point I put it in the ground in the spot you see below. The location is right next to the composters and where I do potting and the like...so a messy area. Last year was good but this season it has come into its own.)(I have staked it given its height and now top heavy with flowers.)

• rosaprimula
    9 months ago

Good grief, mine is still nohing like that...although next to it, I have splendide purple which is much taller...and much later - only just showing buds while the whie has been flowering for weeks (and has fallen over where I can't get to i without moving a shedload of pots).

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked rosaprimula
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I have "regular" Splendide also @rosaprimula and in the past their peak bloom time was late ie late August into early September but for some reason(s) they are blooming much earlier the last couple of years. Here is one of them from last week...in full bloom.