Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajcn

I'm thinking wood burning chimenea. Thoughts?

AJCN
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are about to start a pretty major backyard reno involving a retaining wall, pool re-plastering and an expansion of the patio surface. It's been in the planning stages for so long, delayed over the years bc of other priorities, job/income changes, the pandemic and now we are about to sign the contract.

There is a round fire pit area in the design and we have been trying to decide between:

- run a gas line and do a natural gas built-in fire pit (downside: seems like it's just for looks and we want actual warmth; we are on a lake, so I think the wind will blow the warmth away)

- wood burning built-in masonry fire pit (downside: seems like a downside would still be that the wind from the lake would blow the warmth away because the fire area is so open; and it would blow smoke into peoples' faces)

- wood burning freestanding cast iron fire bowl or pit (same downsides as the wood burning masonry bc of the openness and the wind)

- wood burning cast iron freestanding chimenea. (I can't think of a downside!)

Such as this type of thing; not necessary this exact one, but something like this:

Planning, starting the fire, cleaning the ashes, storing some firewood, and other such chores are not downsides for me.

So are there any downsides of the chimenea that I'm not thinking of? Since they have caps on the top, can I leave it out in the rain? We are in the Gulf South, but since we are on a lake, a lot of times in the evenings, it's still quite cool outside bc of the lake wind. Except for July and August, we would probably use it at least once or twice a month bc we always have a lot of family and friends coming over.

Bottom line question: Are there any downsides I'm not aware of?

Comments (10)

• chispa
    2 years ago

I think the one you show is meant for a small suburban patio, so not sure how much heat it will actually put out. If you get really chilly sitting out at night, then you might want to consider some propane patio heaters. We have 2 of the stand up type you see in outdoor restaurants ... they work great if you are close by, but like any heat source out in the open, you don't feel the heat a few feet away ... you can't heat the outdoors!

AJCN thanked chispa
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

It would depend on the material. Traditional chimineas are clay, typically a high fired, painted (not glazed) clay. But even sealed - which is highly recommended before use - they can still absorb moisture if left out exposed to the elements. If that moisture is present when the stove is fired up, the steam created internally can cause cracking or even cause the chiminea to explode. They are also not very portable - heavy to move and somewhat fragile

But you can find them in materials other than clay. In a rainy climate like the Gulf Coast, I'd stick with a metal chiminea.

AJCN thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • AJCN
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’ve seen cast iron ones asvertised. I grew up with a cast iron ”Franklin” type stove and I love how they gently radiate the heat, but of course that’s indoors.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    2 years ago

My son has two and he really likes them. He hasn't shared any negatives with me, but they look lovely when the fire is going and he has not complained about cleaning-considering they have a 3-year-old daughter and twin 1-year-old daughters, too, I suspect he would have if it were onerous. Enjoy yours when you get it!

ETA: His are clay.

AJCN thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • AJCN
    Original Author
    2 years ago

cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA),

Thanks for that feedback! Are your son's made of cast iron? Do you have any idea what size, brand, etc? It can be heavy; we probably will never move it once it's placed. I'm interested in quality, rather than buying something cheap just for cheap's sake.

ETA, I missed your comment that his are clay. Sorry for asking about cast iron.

• B T
    2 years ago

Have you considered a Solo Stove? They burn very cleanly and put out very little smoke. And, oh boy, can they put out heat! Super easy to start … can’t say enough good things about them.

AJCN thanked B T
  • AJCN
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I looked at them and it said not to let it get rained on. They sell a cover, so you can leave it outside, but you have to wait until it cools down completely before putting the cover on. I thought that might create a problem if a storm rolls in quickly which does happen here very frequently even on an otherwise sunny clear day.

But the thing does look great. Maybe I could get a fabricator to make me a metal cover for it so that I could quickly put that on to keep rain out until it cools. I'll look that up again.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

One negative to think about is proximity to neighbors. Our neighbor has one on their patio and fires it up in the evenings. Our houses aren't real close...1/2 acre lots... but because of the topography and prevailing breezes in the evenings, it fills my yard and house (if I have my windows open) with smoke. So be sure to think about where that smoke will end up.

AJCN thanked Olychick
  • B T
    2 years ago

AJCN … there is a lid (as opposed to the cover) for the Solo Stove and you can place it over the stove while it is still warm (not as a method to snuff it out.) It is for the exact scenario you mentioned … the possibility of a storm overnight. Hope this helps. 😎

AJCN thanked B T